PDA

View Full Version : Media additive

Gliden07
07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Just bought a Cabelas 400 Tumbler kit at Cabelas for 42 bucks!! (In bargin cave). What is agood additive to use to clean the brass?? Im using the corn cob media that came in kit, missing Cabelas polish hence the lower price!! Any help would be great!

07-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Add a cap of Nu-Finish car polish, and replenish as needed.

MtGun44
07-23-2012, 02:38 AM
What 462 said - best advice you can get on tumbler media. Second is to use fine grind
corncob media only.

Bill

dragon813gt
07-23-2012, 10:59 AM
NuFinish w/ Mineral Spirits added. It helps keep the dust down. I use fine walnut blasting media that Harbor Freight sells. Doesn't polish to as high a shine as corncob but it cleans better.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

UNIQUEDOT
07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
What 462 said - best advice you can get on tumbler media. Second is to use fine grind
corncob media only.

Bill

I have found that fine ground walnut not only cleans better, but also polishes a lot faster than corn if you use jewelers rouge and mineral spirits. At least it cleans and polishes a lot better than the Lyman green (treated) corn. The cases come out looking a lot better than new cases do.

jcwit
07-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Everyone suggests Nu-Finish and I also use it. But in reality just about any Liquid auto cleaner/polish works just fine. Paste auto cleaner/polish works also just fine but you have to break it up when putting it into the tumbler and run the tumbler longer at first to distribute it.

MtGun44
07-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Uniquedot,

My experience with walnut hulls is the opposite of yours - used it exclusively for at least
a decade. Wouldn't touch it again for free.

Feel free to do exactly what you please, I know I will.

NuFinish does a far superior job on my cars compared to any other car wax I have tried,
with less effort. Definitely better stuff.

Bill

zxcvbob
07-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Turtlewax Chrome Polish works pretty fast, and doesn't contain any ammonia (like Brasso.)

I use 14/20 corncob grit from Grainger's, with a little jewelers rouge added for a high polish. It's messy if you add too much.

I've never tried NuFinish.

Gliden07
07-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Thanks I tried just the corn cob with nothing on some shells Ive been collecting (had to try my new toy!!) Was pretty impressed with results!! If I add some polish the results should be great.

myg30
07-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Along with the nufinish/ mineral spirts, I also add a used clothes dryer sheet ( Ex. Bounce) collects the fine dust and helps keep the static down.

Mike

zomby woof
07-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I tried the Nu-finish, IMO we don't want our brass that slippery. Yes it looks and feels good, but we don't want that in the chamber. Just my opinion, you do what you want.

As far as cleaning brass, every time I get my brass wet, I regret it. So no SS pins for me.

I run two tumblers with a one hour timer. the first with walnut, MS and polish (currently Flitz). The second is Corn, and polish. Walnut first, then corn.

I use a rotary media separator. I spend very little time cleaning brass. I shoot through a lot of brass, clean enough is clean enough.

UNIQUEDOT
07-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Uniquedot,

My experience with walnut hulls is the opposite of yours - used it exclusively for at least
a decade. Wouldn't touch it again for free.

Feel free to do exactly what you please, I know I will.

NuFinish does a far superior job on my cars compared to any other car wax I have tried,
with less effort. Definitely better stuff.

Bill

There is another reason that i wont buy corn again...it packs into the primer pockets and walnut will actually clean the primer pockets without packing in. Some people say to clean the cases before depriming, but this is not always possible nor desirable if the brass is so filthy that it needs a bath before tumbling.

UNIQUEDOT
07-24-2012, 02:25 PM
I tried the Nu-finish, IMO we don't want our brass that slippery. Yes it looks and feels good, but we don't want that in the chamber. Just my opinion, you do what you want.

You used too much polish.

r1kk1
07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Nu finish, mineral spirits and cor cob for me with the occasional dryer sheet also. Someone on this list mention Grainger and I'll order some when I get home. Great tip. It might be my imagination but the wax seems to aid in resizing.

Take care

r1kk1

dragon813gt
07-24-2012, 04:25 PM
If there is a coating you can feel on the brass you used to much NuFinish.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

jcwit
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
There is another reason that i wont buy corn again...it packs into the primer pockets

You're using to course a grind of corn cob if you have this problem. Try 20/40 grit and the problem will be non existent.

jcwit
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Nu finish, mineral spirits and cor cob for me with the occasional dryer sheet also. Someone on this list mention Grainger and I'll order some when I get home. Great tip. It might be my imagination but the wax seems to aid in resizing.

Take care

Try DrillSpot, the offer free shipping.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

r1kk1
07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks JC, will do.

r1kk1

MtGun44
07-25-2012, 01:48 PM
+1 on 20/40 corncob from Drillspot. PERFECT size, cheap price.

Strongly recommend new guys go directly to the best by getting the
20/40 corncob, add some NuFinish (I have used a splash of Coleman
fuel, naptha - similar to mineral spirits) and you will be pleased with
the speed and really nice results.

Bill

UNIQUEDOT
07-25-2012, 02:15 PM
You're using to course a grind of corn cob if you have this problem. Try 20/40 grit and the problem will be non existent.

The only corn I've used is the Lyman green treated stuff. Any idea what the grind size of it is? i guess it doesn't matter as I've already stocked up on more walnut.

Nu finish, mineral spirits and cor cob for me with the occasional dryer sheet also.

Do you use one or the other or both together? I use the mineral spirits with the rouge or i just use nu finish, but have not tried both together.