PDA

View Full Version : First Mold

Whitespider
05-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I just received my first mold, a .41 caliber Lee two cavity tumble lube.
Is there any tricks, tips or suggestions before I start to pour molten metal into it?

Thanks Guys

wiljen
05-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I clean the inside to remove any residue. Paint thinner works then let it dry completely. Then smoke the cavities - a bic lighter held about 1.5 inches below the mold will coat the cavities evenly with soot. Remember the mold will have to be up to heat before it casts well.

mto7464
05-06-2007, 09:26 PM
hehehehe, I recently got my first tow Lee Molds. What a pain in the rear to get them to work. Both of mine had one boolit that would alway hang up and both had one of the hinge pins fall out. The remedy I used was COMET and a boolit from the mold to polish the cavity. They drop fine now even without smoking the mold.

USARO4
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
I've had the same problem with my Lee molds, smokem good and then smokem some more, my mold cavities are almost black. When my alignment pins fall out I use a dab of Permatex gasket seal and press them back in place, they dont fall out no more.

Larry Gibson
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm just the opposite, I don't smoke moulds anymore. With Lee moulds. I use a clean old tooth brush and carborater cleaner (the spray stuff to clean them and scrub the cavity and faces of the mould blocks. I then take the sprue plate off and round all the corners and enges lightly with a fine toothed file. I then use a stone to further smooth the edges a little. I also thake a thin strip of crocus cloth and with a fltat 1" wide file smooth the face of the sprue plate. The sprue plate is then scrub with the carborater cleaner. When all is done I reassemble the mould and use either Rapine mould prep or Midway mould release on a Q tip to lube the V recesses and ribs. The top and bottom of the sprue plate are coated as is the top of the mold blocks. I do not put any in the cavities. With the xception of touching up with the mould prep all this only has to be done once. I have very little problem with Lee moulds using this procedure.

I might not that with the exception of using a small plastic headed mallet to break the first couple sprues I use a gloved hand to break the sprue when the mould is heated. I tap the handles pivet bolt head lightly after opening the mould and the bullets fall out. I also use this same procedure with all other types of moulds.

Larry Gibson