PDA

View Full Version : 26# hammer spring in a Single Six?

tek4260
07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I decided to dig my Bisley Single Six out of the safe to shoot and realized I had never worked on the trigger or replaced the springs. I installed one of my Bullseye trigger springs and while I was at it, dropped a heavy mainspring in it. I don't think this will cause any issue, but thought I'd ask. It might actually be a big help on old crusty 22 ammo that gets forgotten under the seat of the truck.

44man
07-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I decided to dig my Bisley Single Six out of the safe to shoot and realized I had never worked on the trigger or replaced the springs. I installed one of my Bullseye trigger springs and while I was at it, dropped a heavy mainspring in it. I don't think this will cause any issue, but thought I'd ask. It might actually be a big help on old crusty 22 ammo that gets forgotten under the seat of the truck.
Not sure about a .22. It takes little to fire them. It is a different ignition system with the thin rim.

tek4260
07-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I'll check the first 6 for cracks. Bout to step on the porch and try them.

tek4260
07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
No difference in indention in the rim. The hammer is much faster now and it shoots great. Not sure weather the hammer spring helped or I am just a bit better than I was years ago when I shot this thing.

Then MK sight is a definite improvement.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0727.jpg

44man
07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Sounds good. I use 26# in all of my big bores, good to hear it works in the .22.

RobS
07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Just changed mine over. Have a New Blackhawk Flattop 45 colt that I replaced the factory 17# spring to a 23# factory spring from a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt which isn't the specified spring specs for a Flattop but it did work without cutting any coils..... I put a 28# in the Bisley. Made a good bit of difference for sure on both in regards to hammer speed.

44man
07-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Just changed mine over. Have a New Blackhawk Flattop 45 colt that I replaced the factory 17# spring to a 23# factory spring from a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt which isn't the specified spring specs for a Flattop but it did work without cutting any coils..... I put a 28# in the Bisley. Made a good bit of difference for sure on both in regards to hammer speed.
Standard springs are 22# to 23#. They work fine until they take a set, then accuracy will drop off. Wolff springs are as good a quality you can get. BFR's suffer from this spring problem too so I change to Wolff 26# springs.
It is not hammer speed, it is primer impact. You must maintain a certain impact for consistent ignition.
True hammer speed or pin speed can be an aid but if you hold still when you shoot, it means little but primer impact can ruin accuracy if too light.
Shoot a flint lock off hand. This is the same way you should shoot any gun. Lock speed should not be a factor. It is a crutch! :bigsmyl2:
A Ruger spring will shorten over 1/2" in time, reducing the impact to the primer.
Rifle primers in a revolver like the .450 Marlin, should have a 28# hammer spring. Single shots in rifle calibers should have a strong spring so if you change from a revolver caliber barrel to a rifle, make sure the hammer spring is strong enough. Most like the TC are good for both.

RobS
07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
I know the standard spring is 23# on a regular BH or a Bisley BH but the Flattops (smaller framed revolvers) are in fact a 17# spring from the factory. And yes I do know it's about consistent/authoritative primer strike for consistent ignition. I was merely stating I liked the hammer speed as I noted the difference. I too agree that Wolff does know how to do springs right that's for sure.

Standard springs are 22# to 23#. They work fine until they take a set, then accuracy will drop off. Wolff springs are as good a quality you can get. BFR's suffer from this spring problem too so I change to Wolff 26# springs.
It is not hammer speed, it is primer impact. You must maintain a certain impact for consistent ignition.
True hammer speed or pin speed can be an aid but if you hold still when you shoot, it means little but primer impact can ruin accuracy if too light.
Shoot a flint lock off hand. This is the same way you should shoot any gun. Lock speed should not be a factor. It is a crutch! :bigsmyl2:
A Ruger spring will shorten over 1/2" in time, reducing the impact to the primer.
Rifle primers in a revolver like the .450 Marlin, should have a 28# hammer spring. Single shots in rifle calibers should have a strong spring so if you change from a revolver caliber barrel to a rifle, make sure the hammer spring is strong enough. Most like the TC are good for both.