PDA

View Full Version : I broke my Blackhawk

shooting on a shoestring
05-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I can't believe it either! I bought it new about 2 years ago, shot mostly 250gr cast 800 to 1200 fps. About 6 months ago I bought the Lee 300 wfn. I was shooting that boolit w/o gas check over 23.0 gr H4227, chronographing, shooting two-handed over bags. The 17th shot at 1247 fps, the gun rattled in recoil and felt strangely shakey. The aluminum grip frame broke. From the base of the hammer on the left side, under the gun behind the tigger guard, and was holding together only by a small strip on the right side. I swear if I wiggled it a few times the handle would come off completely.

I called Ruger. The aluminum frame is no longer available. They have steel ones either square or round trigger guard, in the white, need fitting, cost $118. Or they do the whole job for $220 plus about $50 to ship it to them. Takes about 6 weeks.

Bummer.

454PB
05-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, luckily you weren't hurt.

Did you tell them you were shooting that heavy load?

I've heard many stories of Rugers being factory repaired at no charge, but using a load that heavy might be the difference. You need to get a .454 and load down.

targetshootr
05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
That load is big but not really that big. Something was probably loose and sheered off. I'd give them time to forget your call and send it to the factory and see if they even charge. They did a lot of work on mine for free. They soldered back the ejector stud, put a higher front sight, replaced the rear sight, reblued it, and return shipped it, all at their expense.

dakotashooter2
05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I'd have someone who knows somethng about metal take a look at the break first to see if had a flaw that caused the break. If so call ruger again and demand warrantee work. Seems that should be a warrantee item anyway. If not Aluminum grips are being sold on ebay all the time usually for around $70-$80.

I didn't realize ruger "dropped" the aluminum grip frame.

Char-Gar
05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Over the years I have heard of several Ruger BHs snaping the aluminum frame with continued use of top end loads. I am not enough of a science type to tell you why, but it does happen from time to time.

You should not have much problem picking up another alloy frame on Ebay if you want it. I gave away three or four of them.

I replace the alloy frames with steel on on my Rugers. I buy the stainless steel and give it a very high polish. It really looks nice on a blue pistol. It also gives the pistol a much better feel and balance.

Your load is not over the top, but it is top end. I don't shoot such loads. a 250 - 280 grain bullet going 1,000 fps will shoot through about any critter in the lower US at any reasonable pistol range. 20/4227 will give me that load.

Dale53
05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't know if this is relevant or not, given the time frame. Many years ago, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt that had had rather rough treatment. The ejector rod housing was completely missing, the trigger guard was the most poorly fitted (from the factory) I have ever seen. It also badly needed a blue job. I had a dealer friend send the gun back to Ruger for an estimate. The results:

Trigger guard was replaced free. The ejector rod housing and ejector rod were done at a VERY nominal fee. The blueing was also done at a nominal fee. For just a VERY few dollars I had a near new Black Hawk. The work was very well done and I was a happy camper.

I would think seriously of just replacing the backstrap with a stainless or blued steel one and enjoy the stronger, better unit. My choice would be stainless simply because of the utility value.

FWIW
Dale53

44man
05-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Ruger is very good at making customers happy, I would not doubt it at all if they fixed it free or only charged for the part.
That grip frame takes a lot of force. I didn't catch some loose screws once and sheared 2 screws with the steel frame. I always check them now and lock tite them. It is possible loose screws can let the aluminum frame break.
I, too would get the steel frame even if it costs a little. Get rid of the worry!

shooting on a shoestring
05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the posts.

Chargar, did you buy your S.S. grip frame from Ruger? How much $? I do like the idea of keeping the gun, and I would prefer steel. However, I really don't want to ship it off for a couple of months and my shooting budget doesn't have room for a couple hundred $ now. I think I could live with a S.S. grip frame on a blued gun.

Then again, I like 454PB's idea of getting a 454. I might just go the route of putting a cheapie used aluminum frame on and using the gun to trade for a 454. Then I could still use all my 45Colt brass and moulds for most shooting in a really strong gun, and then I could get some 454 brass to run 300 gr boolits around 1200 to 1300 fps w/o being at the top end of the limits. As I carry the gun in the pickup (instead of a 30/30) the larger size of a Super Redhawk or whatever would be OK for me. And I wouldn't have to trade until I collect a sufficient pile of $.

I'll call Ruger again next week and revisit the topic with them.

mag_01
05-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Sent my 45 Long Colt blackhawk (that was misused) back to rugger and it was repaired free of charge and they also replaced trigger components and sent my trigger parts back to me. Good company--- Mag

Thin Man
05-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Just to put another option on the table, why not consider a brass gripframe. Several years ago I bought one for an early BK 45 Colt I own. Still love the weight (balance) and appearance on the blue frame. These are currently available from Brownell's and (I have been told) arrive almost a perfect fit for the frame. Worth a thought.

GLynn41
05-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I broke the frame on .45 Bhawk also-- but it was becasue i put packmyer grips on it-- 260 at 1300+ --sorry to hear about the frame problem with ruger -- I too would recomend the brass it looks good and it should not break--i have one the Lee molds and they really raised the recoil too much for me -- i now shoot nothing but .41's with various bullets and some .41 wildcats

shooting on a shoestring
05-05-2007, 03:19 PM
He has a brass grip frame that he'll trade for about the same money it would cost me to send it to Ruger. I think I can be happy with a brass and blue Blackhawk and not have to wait.

gregg
05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Brownell's I think has the aluminum grip frames for like $35?
I bought a 45 BH in Blue because the GF and ERH is aluminum.
Light 45 big punch and easy to carry.
Just another thought.

snowtigger
05-09-2007, 01:43 AM
http://www.e-gunparts.com/ also known as Numrich Gun parts has three different grip frames From $34.00 to $115.00. You might give them a look..

AlaskaMike
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I realize that many folks have probably had good experiences with Ruger customer service, however I am not among them. I sent my Redhawk back because it consistently placed shots about 4" left at 25 yards despite the rear sight being adjusted as far as possible. Thinking there might be a problem with the front sight or possibly the barrel, I sent it back with a very clear note explaining the problem. I also called twice over the following three weeks and explained the problem again with each call.

When the gun was returned there was no mention of any repairs to the barrel or front sight, just a terse note mentioning replacement of some parts in the action. In the future I will be calling a competent gunsmith before I send anything back to Ruger.

Mike