PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Question...

mannyCA
07-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Is it just me, or does this not look right? Are those tool marks or is that normal? None the other SS guns I have look like this? any thoughts? Should I send it back to Ruger? This is one of the lipsey's flattop .45 convertible. Shoots ok, but I was wondering what if...

NickSS
07-22-2012, 05:02 AM
I have seen pistols and rifles with tool marks on the crown. If it shoots OK I would forget about it but if it shoots poorly it could be the crown not being even so shoot it and see.

DaveCampbell
07-22-2012, 09:06 AM
+1 on what Nick said. If the tool marks bother you that much, get a brass ball from Brownells and some lapping compound and polish them out. One of the reasons Rugers are as cost-effectve as they are is that the company doesn't take the time to put a truly fine finish on their guns.

EdS
07-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure what tool marks mannyCA is referring to, but his photos appear to show tool marks in the bore as well. It looks to me like the pilot on the crowning tool may have marked the bore for about 1/2" or so? -Ed

paul h
07-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Ruger hammer forges their barrels and all of their barrels have those marks to some degree or another.

I've learned to live with the marks and haven't had any accuracy problems. If you shoot jacketed bullets you'll find they do tend to foul up with copper, but again I haven't found it to be an accuracy issue, just aesthetic.

My ruger m77 350 rem mag has pretty noticable marks in the barrel, but puts 3 shots into 1/2" at 100 yds so I figure I can live with the marks.

375RUGER
07-24-2012, 12:03 AM
It looks to me like the pilot on the crowning tool may have marked the bore for about 1/2" or so? -Ed

At first glace that's what it looks like to me too, I've seen pilot marks before- but this looks a little weird with the marks going across the grooves and lands and your pics don't look like it is "scratched".
So I'm thinking, maybe what Paul says, but none of my Rugers rifles or pistols ever looked like this.

leftiye
07-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Ruger barrels in general used to be rifled with a rasp (rifling cutter chatter). Though those marks (older rifling) were only in the grooves. Still shot okay though.

mannyCA
07-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Ruger hammer forges their barrels and all of their barrels have those marks to some degree or another.

I've learned to live with the marks and haven't had any accuracy problems. If you shoot jacketed bullets you'll find they do tend to foul up with copper, but again I haven't found it to be an accuracy issue, just aesthetic.

this thing has only seen a steady diet of lead, it seems to shoot ok, I think its more me at the moment.
thanks for the input

RobS
07-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Have the same gun....mine has the front sight off center and I have to run the rear sight nearly all the way to the right to compensate. The inside of the barrel though his perfect believe it or not. I may have to send it back to ruger to get the sight fixed.

Whiterabbit
07-27-2012, 06:14 PM
I "messed up" my handi rifle 357 barrel during a cut and crown by letting a piece of barrel material get in between the pilot and barrel and scratch the rifling like that. I thought I ruined the barrel.

subsequent range testing indicated likely no change in accuracy from before the cut and crown.

The point of the story is that if the accuracy you want is there, maybe it's OK.

jwp475
07-27-2012, 06:24 PM
As long as it shoots OK then it is OK

44man
07-29-2012, 02:33 PM
As long as it shoots OK then it is OK
Yes, it is the inner edge of the crown that controls gas escape. not the rougher rounded, outer edge. That is cosmetic.