PDA

View Full Version : Trying to increase my knowledge

Beekeeper
07-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Boy is that a mouth full ( and a get me in trouble saying).

All them disclaimers said here is what I am trying to learn.
I P/P for my 43 bolt action Mausers.
If I shoot smokeless I patch to groove -.449
I use the Lyman 439186 boolit sized to .434 and P/P with printer paper.
With smokeless I use no grease cookie.
Shoots well and have had it out to 775 yards with fair accuracy, problems are me not the gun or boolit.

For BP I use the same boolit,patch and size to .446.
I use a card ( playing card ) wad
Emmerts lube , lube cookie.
A second playing card wad
and seat the boolit by hand
I use a slight ( touch only) of crimp simply to hold boolit in case while traveling and removing from box to chamber.

So much for the particulars.
Now the question.
Have been reading Mathews books on patching and grease cookies.
He states to use a wax paper disk between cookie and powder and a second one between cookie and boolit.
Haven't tried it so am asking for thoughts from others before doing it.

Second , the old mausers were throated so you could shoot all day and clean at night.
Will seating the boolit out as far as possible help any with accuracy?

beekeeper

bigted
07-21-2012, 11:24 PM
i can speak for the wax paper portion of your request. i load wax paper between my powder and lube cookie so that if...heaven forbid...they stay in the loaded condition for more then a week...the lube stays on the cookie side of the wax paper disc and the powder stays on the powder side of things.

above the cookie i load a .060 vegatable wad and then the patched boolit. i also load my greesers the same and find that my lyman 457125's are now able to shoot for as long as i want without fouling out.

so like Mathews...where i gleaned the idea...i load wax paper to keep the cookie from bleeding into the powder charge and still burn quickly to deposite as much of the cookie on the walls of the barrel as possible.

Beekeeper
07-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks Ted,
My 71/84 Mausers will go as far as our range has (855 yards) with ease but I am always tinkering and reading.
Every book I read the author says his way is best and often say one thing in one part of the book and something else in another part.

The wax paper disk you use ,is it cupped or a simple disk cut to case size?
Have you ever used the 50/50 beeswax/olive oil lube as a lube or lube cookie?
Have always used Emmerts lube but being a tinkerer I am always looking for something better.
Try to make my own instead of buying and stay out of the stores as much as possible.

Thanks for the info.

beekeeper

bigted
07-22-2012, 02:40 PM
i completely understand the 'do-it-yourself' thing. i love this bpcr loading just for that if nothing else about it.

my lube is homemade also but i have not tryed the 50/50 beewax/oliveoil lube but think it would do just fine as either a boolit lube or a cookie.

my recipe is from the thread about lubes and is as follows...

1/3 beewax ...1/3 crisco...1/3 peanut oil. i melt the beewax in a kettle then melt the crisco in another kettle and when melted add it to the beewax. then add the peanut oil to tne mix and gently stir for around 3 minutes. then either use it or allow it to set up for storage.

i have cast this mix into tubes for my lyman lubrisizer and also pan lube with it. it is also the lube i use for making my cookies...the cookies are made with a glass pie plate. i pour it to the depth i want and allow to cool and set up. then i use an old case that it drilled out for a cookie cutter. i insert a boolit with the flat towards the mouth so when i cut a cookie i just push on the boolit to push the cookie out ahead of it. so far they work super for both patched boolits and greesers.

also the wax paper is just paper discs cut with my wad cutter...flat and if the paper is only waxed on 1 side like mine then i install the wax paper with the wax side toward the cookie to hold the lube where it is suppose to be.

id love to see what happens in there when the charge goes off. maybe someday somebody will come up with a way to photogragh the inside of a case when the explosion happens.

i also get a kick outta authers who tout that their way is best. this is an art form that is particular to a person and a rifle and which may or may not work for another or his rifle.

45 2.1
07-30-2012, 10:46 PM
I P/P for my 43 bolt action Mausers.
If I shoot smokeless I patch to groove -.449
I use the Lyman 439186 boolit sized to .434 and P/P with printer paper.
With smokeless I use no grease cookie.
Shoots well and have had it out to 775 yards with fair accuracy, problems are me not the gun or boolit.
beekeeper

I've shot a 71/84 with the PP 439186 and smokeless (SR 4759). I cast a pure lead boolit and sized it to 0.440" to uniform it, then patched with 9 lb onionskin to 0.447" with the patch well over the ogive origin. I loaded that out to touch the lead firmly. SP PP needs the patch to firmly contact the rifling throat, any jump reduces accuracy with it. My rifle would accept a 0.450" naked boolit as a maximum size. It shot quite well like that. I've never tried BP in it.

geargnasher
07-31-2012, 12:52 AM
I've shot a 71/84 with the PP 439186 and smokeless (SR 4759). I cast a pure lead boolit and sized it to 0.440" to uniform it, then patched with 9 lb onionskin to 0.447" with the patch well over the ogive origin. I loaded that out to touch the lead firmly. SP PP needs the patch to firmly contact the rifling throat, any jump reduces accuracy with it. My rifle would accept a 0.450" naked boolit as a maximum size. It shot quite well like that. I've never tried BP in it.

Virtually all the PPCBs I've shot with smokeless powder shoot better when seated firmly into the lands.

Gear

bigted
07-31-2012, 09:14 AM
ahhh yes...i can hear the jaw mussels tightening and the nashing of teeth now....LOL...this should be fun!!!

bigted
07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
just helpin out is all

45 2.1
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
ahhh yes...i can hear the jaw mussels tightening and the nashing of teeth now....LOL...this should be fun!!!

Nahhh..... won't happen. The man asked and we related what we did with SP (since he did mention it). I really don't care what anyone else does or what results they get... thats their choice and i'm not trying to convert anyone on this forum. Shoot whatever you want and be happy with it, whether it works as good as something else or not.

just helpin out is all

Sure ya were..... right.. un huh.........:bigsmyl2:

Kenny Wasserburger
07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
The old Mausers are one neat rifle I have one in perfect conditon, all info is good, and good to share.

I need to get that thing up and running one of these days. Thing is I have Long range rifles, and slug guns that take oh so much of my time now.

KW
The Lunger

RMulhern
01-13-2013, 02:34 AM
There's a few fellows on a 'few BP forums' abouts that have done forgot more about shooting PP than Ole Matthews ever thought about knowing!!

nhrifle
01-13-2013, 03:06 AM
The paper patching bug bit me right after I got my Sharps, so most of the patching I have done has been of the BPCR variety. However, I have dabbled a bit in smokeless PP and have gotten some pretty fair results, most notably with my No. 4 MK I Enfield. I have read whatever I could lay my hands on about the hows and whys of what everyone does to get their rifles to shoot and there are many who get their rifles to do some pretty spectacular things. I have learned an awful lot from all those books and magazine articles and threads on this forum, and the one things that has remained constant is.....every one of them has a different way. And of course, their way is the holy grail others have been searching for.

My point is, this is a process of continuous learning or it wouldn't be so much fun. Keep reading and researching and when you come across something you hadn't thought of or tried, try a few shots. Might work, might not. Whatever you do, keep shooting!