PDA

View Full Version : How to treat range lead?

ShooterAZ
07-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Did a search, but did not find this. How do you guys treat range lead? I posted an ad on Craigslist for lead, and will be buying 50 lbs. from a guy this morning. It's already smelted and cleaned. Do you use as is, or add any tin or lino? He said is was a mix of jacketed and cast. First time dealing with range lead.

Thanks...Shooter

btroj
07-21-2012, 12:47 PM
What are you using it for?
For pretty much any handgun use just keep it as is. For higher velocity rifle bullets you could add a little Lino or soemthing like that.
For hunting bullets in 30-30 or 45-70 I would use it as is.

No one single right answer. Alloy gets matched to the use.

shooterg
07-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Melt it. Cast it, Shoot it. Repeat.

canyon-ghost
07-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Melt it. Cast it, Shoot it. Repeat.

I think that is right. You'll find it has enough alloying metals in it to be hard enough to use, just like wheelweight.

wv109323
07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
As you have already said the range lead is a mixture of two sources. Re-smelted Cast Boolits and lead from Jacketed bullets. The recycled portion that came from cast boolits should be perfect to reuse as it is. It is my understanding that the lead within jacketed bullets is near pure lead and would be softer than that from the cast bullets.
The unknown is what per cent is from cast boolits and what per cent is from jacketed bullets. It would be my guess that the majority is from Cast Boolits and the combination of the two should be close to what you want.
As already stated try it "as-is" and if that is not satisfactory add some solder to up the tin content.