PDA

View Full Version : Why am I here?

RED333
07-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Shooting most of my adult life, BB guns to 12ga. I enjoy shooting to much, ammo has been going up in price every day. SOoo, I am looking to reload and need help,
I cast Lee 12ga slugs, "00", .451 ball. but need to start 40 S&W, 44-40, and .308.

Yes I am here to get as much info as I can to start casting better than I do now.
Thanks much for all the info I am going to get from yall.
1854 Uberti BLACK POWDER 44 in STAINLESS (newest pistol)
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/firearms/BP44.jpg
Be Safe
RED333

gmsharps
07-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Welcome. You can learn more here than you can ever imagine. Read through the Stickeys and a lot of your questions will be answered. Just by monitoring the site more may be answered and by all means if you do not find the answer ask.
gmsharps

DCM
07-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Stickies, this book http://lbtmoulds.com/books.shtml, Lyman cast boolit handbook are a great start.

I would highly recommend reading the stuff in the front of a loading manual rather than just skipping to the data. There is a lot of useful info there.

Welcome to the forum!

NICE revolver BTW!

WILCO
07-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Welcome.

Ditto for me!

RED333
07-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome, yes, sticky's are a must read.
I have found that google search works well on most forums,
I have not tried that here yet.
I am hoping to get into full swing this fall after I learn a bit.
Thanks again.

L1A1Rocker
07-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Why am I here?

Because, no matter where you go. . . there you are.:kidding:

Welcome aboard. I joined up after I realized that the heavy sub-sonic j-word bullets needed to feed my 300 blk would put me in the poor house. Heard about a mold just for the BLK and here I am - I've kinda stayed around too.

LOTS of GREAT information in the stickies. Most all questions have already been asked - many are stickied. If you cannot find the answer the folks here are great to help out. You can also try the chat room for a quick Q A sometimes.

Again, welcome

Blacksmith
07-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Welcome abord. Here is a link to a great book you can read online and a great way to get started:
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

puddledog
07-21-2012, 09:10 PM
That cap&ball looks like an 1858 Remington.

RED333
07-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Great link Blacksmith! thanks
Puddledog, it is stamped 1854, I dont know much about these
type of firearms, other than how to load and shoot.
It is to much fun to shoot!

captaint
07-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Welcome RED - You're gonna like it here. Literally, everything you wanted to know !!
If you haven't already, start collecting lead. Lead pipe, sheet lead, wheelweights. Stock up on all you can. You are gonna need it.... enjoy Mike

RED333
07-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks Captaint, yep I have a bit of lead now, and a shop that will let me have
all I want, working on a few other places.

Hamish
07-22-2012, 08:25 AM
"Why am I here?"

Because this is the center of the casting universe?

Welcome!

Bullfrog
07-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Hello Red,

You have made it to a site that is beyond words. Welcome.

Grandpas50AE
07-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Welcome RED. You will like this place, lots of great folks and info.

Blacksmith
07-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Red

If you can get all the lead/wheelweights you want you will be able to sell the excess here in Swaping and Selling to fund the rest of what you need. Thank goodness for flat rate shipping boxes which is why the post men hate us.

RED333
07-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Red

If you can get all the lead/wheelweights you want you will be able to sell the excess here in Swaping and Selling to fund the rest of what you need. Thank goodness for flat rate shipping boxes which is why the post men hate us.
LOL When I do buy pure lead I have it shipped to the office,
The Mailman and I have a deal, If I am there I will get it out of the truck for Him, If not He will have to bring it in. I do try to be there and help Him out, great guy He is.

Murphy
07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Red,

Welcome to the best online source for boolit casting you will find. Yes, there are other sites out there and I mean them no disrespect. Castboolits just happens to be the best of the best.

I've been a member here now going on 6 years. The help I've seen offered and given to people wanting to learn, is beyond anything I've ever seen. Folks here will walk you thru every single stage of the game. It may be thru private message's, emails or even extended phone calls.

A lot of us here had to learn on our own with no mentor. We struggled thru the blood, sweat & tears of lessons hard learned...and know what it's like not to have anything other than a book to go by. Books don't always cover it all as we came to find out.

As others have stated, don't be afraid to ask questions. When you're dealing with molten lead especially. I'd been casting for 20+ years before finding this site, learned more in my first 18 months here than I'd learned the previous 20 all on my own.

Murphy