PDA

View Full Version : Range Lead Content

sw282
07-21-2012, 12:17 AM
l have been working out of town lately. Shooting at a local range l was able to get some range lead from the guy who cleans out the traps. The range is "handguns only". Any idea of what percentage of the Range Scrap will be lead/jackets ?

runfiverun
07-21-2012, 02:36 AM
it is what it is.
i pull the jaxket boolits out of mine and melt them separatly.
and any 22's i see.
this usually gives me a pretty hard alloy a soft alloy and an in between alloy.

btroj
07-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't sort mine at all. I figure what's pick up from the berm is usually 75 percent recovery rate. I mean 75 alloy, 25 percent jackets and dirt. I suppose much of this depends on how many cast bullet shooters are in your area.
The alloy is usually quite good for handguns and rifle into the 1600 fps range.

Jim
07-21-2012, 07:48 AM
After demagnetizing, about 15% of the total weight our production is sellable jackets. That varies from berm to berm, though. One berm we cleaned was mostly cast boolits. Another was mostly factories.

imashooter2
07-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I get indoor scrap from ranges with armor plate backstops. There is no sorting as it is all pulverized with a lot of fines in it. My stuff has a solid 25 - 30% scrap weight by the time all the dirt and jackets are out of it. Maybe 50% of that weight is jackets.

The yards around here won't touch the jackets, but Evan Price has an ad in Swappin and Sellin offering $1 a pound an he reimburses shipping on top of it. Not what some get at the yard as "#2 copper" but better than the "no thanks" my yards offer.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=155288

Freightman
07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
We have three outdoor and one indoor pistol ranges, two outdoor ranges are for action pistol shooting and they are more jacketed bullets, one out door is a bulls eye range with benches and it is 95% + cast, that is where I do most of my mining as I have no place to get rid of the jackets except ship them off. The indoor range is for matches and no jackets allowed, 50% will be .22's but they only clean it out every year or so. The lead will be in chunks and very hard to melt.
So what is the content? it will be according to what is shot at your range.

Larry Gibson
07-21-2012, 10:42 AM
My experience is that 70 - 75% will be recoverable alloy, the rest will be dirt, debri and jackets.

Larry Gibson

sw282
07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. lt seems l will get around 75% at best. lt is an indoor range that allows handgun and shotgun only. My 3 gal bucket weighed in @95 lbs. lt was mostly swept up. l will have to wait til outage is over before l can do any smelting back home. l needed an app estimate to see if it was worth my time and money to purchase the product.