PDA

View Full Version : Load for Lee 452-255-RF in .45 ACP

ajn142
07-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. The name basically says it all. I just wondered if any of y'all had a load for this or a similar bullet. I'd prefer Unique as the powder, doing some looking on my own, but figured if one of y'all had a favorite that would speed things up.

Will be shot in a 1911, first time casting and shooting cast, I have to reload my own since under 21 it's hard to have enough ammo otherwise.

jmsj
07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
ajn142,
Welcome to castboolits.
Use the search function and you find a few threads on this load.
I use the Lee 452-255-RF in some of my 45 ACP's but some warn against it. In one of my pistols (Taurus 1911) it is the only bullet that gun really likes.
Good luck, jmsj

ajn142
07-20-2012, 07:01 PM
At the time I hadn't quite gotten the search feature down. Found some loads, look forward to trying them. I suppose after I test a few, I'll post what worked up here for y'all since my thread will show up on that search anyways.

tek4260
07-20-2012, 07:41 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137057

Here is a thread from when I tried. Works well IMHO. I used the HP's to take a doe at close to 70 yards. Worked as well as any 44 magnum I have used. But, one deer may have been the exception rather than the rule. Got to keep testing which is the fun part!

ajn142
07-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for that, I'm obviously typing the wrong words the wrong way into the search. If I had the mold for lighter bullets, I'd be shooting them. but this was the only one my dad could locate, and he's tired of being asked to pick up more 45 at the store. Besides, a good large boolit would be just what the doctor ordered on the hogs out at the family ranch. Sudden Acute Lead Poisoning

tek4260
07-21-2012, 12:35 AM
I have no luck with the search engine either. I just google what I want along with castboolits.gunloads.com

ajn142
07-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Well, first casting session went pretty well. Out of 250ish cast, 240 of them would have made a hole down range, and 189 are good enough for accurate shooting. Aircooled WW, got them for free from the brake shop down the road. Only problem I discovered in getting loads together is I have no large pistol primers, and none of the NonToxic brass that uses small primers. Another trip to the gun store appears to be in order, I'll let y'all know about the loads once that's taken care of. Thanks again for all the help getting started.

tek4260
07-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Have you upgraded your 1911 for shooting heavies yet?

I can't believe we have gotten to a point where being under 21 keeps you from buying ammo. Find a mom and pop gun shop that will let you buy ammo. That way you will know who to shop with and support!

PS Leave the factory fodder alone. The only reason I mentioned buying factory was to find a decent dealer!

ajn142
07-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Haven't upgraded anything yet. Will be loading this pretty mildly, so the most I'm looking at is a 18-20 lb spring, unless I misjudge. I'm actually an officer with a few shooting related organizations at Texas A&M, and have a few FFL's and an SOT who I know personally and trust, but I wouldn't put them on any questionable ground by buying ammo from them. Besides, as you said, factory ain't worth it, and casting is making shooting even cheaper which is good as I look at getting into 3-gun competitions.

ETA: Can't buy ammunition intended for a handgun until 21, and since I represent gun owners to the general public and the A&M comunnity, I follow the laws, even when/if they don't make sense. It's federal law, don't know how long it's been that way, but my understanding is a long while. I can still buy rifle ammo, but I wouldn't trust that the way I trust what I put together, especially for hunting. The only thing I don't reload is 7.62x39, since I just can't turn out enough to make it worth it for plinking with my single stage.

makicjf
07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
I used the speer #12 load for the lee 255 rnfp. I think I ended up at 6.0-6.2 of unique with an oal of 1.20 taper crimped right at the bottom edge of the crimp groove. I quit loading them because I did not want to change the spring in my 1911. I work at the College of Veterinary Medicine at A&M. You are more than welcome to use my lee 230 tc. It drops straight ww at around 239-240. If you would like, get in touch with me .
jason

makicjf
07-24-2012, 10:01 AM
You can Pm me here, or call me at 440-812-2933

saz
07-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I worked up a good load for that boolit last year sometime if I remember correctly. I used Red Dot rather than unique and wound up with a pretty accurate load in the end. I wasn't pushing it very fast, like 750pfs but it is right on the heels of the old 45 colt loading. I never changed my stock 16lb spring and after many of these loads there was no evidence of excessive battering on the gun. I cannot quote as to the charge weight (no access to my load notes- im in afghanistan currently) but it was in the neighborhood of 4grs of red dot. Give it a shot with the stock spring first, you may not need to spend your money on a bunch of extra stuff.

DrCaveman
07-24-2012, 11:59 PM
I tried that boolit in my CZ-97 and have finally given up on it. Accuracy was pretty solid and punch seemed huge based on penetration of various materials. This was using 4.0 gr ramshot competition and also 6 gr unique. Pretty warm loads.

Reliability was just so iffy that I couldn't justify favoring it equally to my 230 gr round nose boolit. If I crimped it in the crimp groove, it nosedived or 'wheelied' to often out of the clip. If I loaded longer then the gun would not go into battery.

Hopefully your 1911 is different. This was my experience with this boolit in a CZ-97. Others may have different experiences.

My final conclusion is to save that boolit for 45 colt.

ajn142
08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, life got in the way, and while I got a few dummies made that fit and functioned in the gun at a good OAL (can't recall off the top of my head) about a day after casting, after lubing and having the bullets sit for 2ish weeks, the second set of dummies aren't chambering, although the first set does. I've checked on a couple of the bullets, and the portion just forward the crimp grove is now measuring out at .457 or so. I just haven't had the time to pick up a .452 sizer, after I do and get these sized, I'll let you know how they work.

prangr51
08-04-2012, 12:39 AM
I ran some 255 out of my SA Loaded. had them over 4.5 grs of Unique set at 1.137". Really deep seat, but there is little to no leade. Didn't have any issues

5shotbfr
08-04-2012, 12:44 AM
i cant vouch for my load in a auto loader but i use the lee 255 in my 1917 with 5 grns of unique , great acuracy and seems mild