PDA

View Full Version : My first lube.

DHurtig
07-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Made my first batch yesterday. I like the idea of the Barry Darr lube because paraffin can be had much cheaper than bees wax. I used a 13 oz jar of generic vaseline from target that cost me $2.74 and half of a big red pillar candle that I got at a rummage sale for a quarter. Added in the STP oil treatment. I've read that moly is a good additive for lubes too so I add in some moly bore prep from Midway that was given to me years ago. I don't think I could have made a lube any cheaper. Finished lube is still semi soft and waxy. Wish it was a bit harder for handling purposes, but we'll see how it works. Lubed up about 150 rounds for the 45-70 and a couple hundred for the 44 mag. Now just need to get some loaded and head to the range.

Before I go, I need to build a screen box to take along. Our main range here is on public land where every one shoots into a couple of shale banks. This has been going on since I moved back here27 years ago. As the bank sloughs off, there should be a good amount of lead laying at the base of the bank.

Dale http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/smiley-channelde_gewalt040.gif

fryboy
07-20-2012, 07:39 PM
add some more wax to make it harder if desired ,using beeswax would add some body and flex ( and would also turn it more into a saeco green type lube ) , the bore prep has some oil of some kind in it which added to the softness , i've had my best luck with darr lube in the less demanding applications

mdi
07-21-2012, 03:17 PM
You sure made a bunch; 150, 45-70 and 200, .44 Mag. What if it don't work?:mrgreen:

DHurtig
07-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Wipe it off and try again. Dale

softpoint
07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I made some Darr lube once. It worked well until the weather got hot here in Texas, I had to abandon it. It was easy and cheap to make, though. It will turn to liquid at about 90 or so degrees especially if the cartridges are left in direct sunlight where they can heat up.:cbpour: