PDA

View Full Version : my review of the smartreloader omaga 800

corey012778
07-20-2012, 01:01 AM
I bought this press right before i moved into my new house. stripped for cast. looked good, did not see any review anywhere. bought it. few months ago, I finally set it up. went to place a lee sizing die on it. would not screw in 2mm. pulled it out again, one more try. no where. looked inside. I am not too mechanically inclined but looked like they did not clean the threads of the powder coat/paint. email the company about it, they reply, "force the die on". my solution, I went on flebay hunted for the tap at the size I need and fix the problem. now it worries me about the qc of the whole press.

what I came out of this.
1) a press that makes me worry if it will be up to the task.

2) a tap that I have not other need for.

3) a understanding that don't buy an copy cat of a lee classic cast.

plus side. smartloader did the fastest turn around time on a email reply. less then a week.

Kent Fowler
07-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Biggest red flag is customer support saying to force the die in without knowing if it is powder coat or defective threads at the bottom or no thread at the bottom. I hope this press does what you need it to. I can remember when I first started reloading, I didn't have the proverbial pot or the window, so I had to make do until I was a little better off financially. But as time went by, I was able to buy good American iron. Unfortunately, IMO, I think you have a tap which is probably worth more than the press.

corey012778
07-20-2012, 05:11 PM
I got the tap pretty cheap but your right, even thou I bought the tap for a one time use. I am not going to put it up for sale right now. never know if I am going to need it again or not.

not my first time reloading. I used a lee handloader on 30-06 (hammer) then went to a lee hand press. do have another table mounted press another lee.

gwpercle
07-20-2012, 06:13 PM
If you guy's want some serious good customer service, do business with CH4D.
Yesterday I sent Beth an email about getting a wire C clip for a Herters shell holder adapter, I lost mine , the part wasn't shown as a seperate item from the adapter.
I sent it at 3:40 PM, recieved her Email reply at 3:45 PM , the same day. the part cost $1.04 with postage it came to $2.00.

After such prompt reply I wasn't about to only order $2.00 of stuff, that wasn't worth her time , so I looked at thier on line catalog and came up with about $40.00
worth of other stuff I needed . Placed order this morning and talked with Beth, she said she would makem sure it went out today . Man That's service .very , very nice folks. I will be buying more tools from them because of thier service. go to website and check them out. Reloading tools look good . I do have several sets of CH dies and like them, I thought they may have gone out of business but they merged with another co. hence the name change.

gary

r1kk1
07-20-2012, 06:53 PM
They are a great company. Dave bought CH in 1991 I believe. He owned 4D die company.

I have their 30 lb Champion press. It is an ergonomic and powerful brute. Solid 1-1/8" ram.

Take care

r1kk1

jcwit
07-20-2012, 10:24 PM
I bought this press right before i moved into my new house. stripped for cast. looked good, did not see any review anywhere. bought it. few months ago, I finally set it up. went to place a lee sizing die on it. would not screw in 2mm. pulled it out again, one more try. no where. looked inside. I am not too mechanically inclined but looked like they did not clean the threads of the powder coat/paint. email the company about it, they reply, "force the die on". my solution, I went on flebay hunted for the tap at the size I need and fix the problem. now it worries me about the qc of the whole press.

what I came out of this.
1) a press that makes me worry if it will be up to the task.

2) a tap that I have not other need for.

3) a understanding that don't buy an copy cat of a lee classic cast.

plus side. smartloader did the fastest turn around time on a email reply. less then a week.

Nothing like supporting the Red Chinese thru an Italian company. U.S. labor thanks you, I'm sure!:takinWiz:

07-20-2012, 10:52 PM
There are too many good values on new and used brand name presses, to buy one of dubious quality and function. One example is the older RCBS JR 2 and JR 3's. They are solid O-frames made of cast iron and steel, usefully ambidexterious, will last till God turns the lights out, and can be had for about $50.

hk33ka1
07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
With the Lee Reloader at $25, Breech Lock Challenger $59 and Classic Cast at $97 there are a few good cheap options to get into the hobby. Also with all the other great US made presses new and used I have not dared to try a Smart Reloader. I did see one or two posts on other forums with experience similar to yours. Also complaints of slop in the ram.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-21-2012, 12:31 AM
For some "Buy American" is just a concept. Until, that is, their job gets "outsourced" overseas.
It's the ultimate "attitude adjuster".

A good press is designed to outlast you, and your kids.

If you had bought a Dillon, forty years from now, they would repair or replace it for the cost of your' shipping it back to them.

Just sayin...

Rich
Sua Sponte

wallenba
07-21-2012, 12:45 AM
If you have an old die body you can use a die grinder to cut a slot lengthwise through the threads. Then grind the diameter of the first few threads down a bit. This should allow you to chase the threads clean enough to use.

geargnasher
07-21-2012, 03:02 AM
And people bitch about Lee quality. Sheesh.

Gear

Firebricker
07-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Your never going to get good quality products from china. The chinese will make anything they can make a buck on. Their people who make this junk have never reloaded or shot a gun because it's against the law for them. They have no idea on what they are making.

Lee may not be as heavy duty as other brands but every press they make is capable of producing quality ammo. And most important to me is that Lee employs American workers that use and understand the products that they manufacture. FB

sparky45
07-21-2012, 09:25 AM
And people bitch about Lee quality. Sheesh.

Gear

Well Gear, there is a reason for all the ********. I've owned 5 Lee presses and only have 2 left. The 2 do work as advertised. The other 3, ***.
Sparky45

gwpercle
07-21-2012, 09:58 AM
They are a great company. Dave bought CH in 1991 I believe. He owned 4D die company.

I have their 30 lb Champion press. It is an ergonomic and powerful brute. Solid 1-1/8" ram.

Take care

r1kk1
Now that I have rediscovered CH4D and know that they are Americans making products in America I'm going to make sure to include thier products in my future purchases. I believe in buying American , its important in these poor economic times to support our own.

gary

Longwood
07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
It is a long story but,,,,
I have two of the little black Smart reloaders.
I had one of the little LEE presses.
Three more got here yesterday.

I have closely examined both of the Smart presses for misalignment or other manufacturing issues that would/could cause problems, and saw nothing.
The rams are tight and lined up perfectly.
The Smart presses work very smoothly, and have a shorter stroke so I actually like them better for why I purchased them.
The only thing that I have done to improve how they work is grind off a little of the tit on the shell holder spring so that inserting shell holders was easier.

All three of the new Lee presses try to bind up at mid stroke. Looks like the holes in the handle were drilled off just a little bit.
I sure see no signs of better quality, design or construction.
I would not use either for a lot of things but I am thinking the Black one is best, simply because it is not so flimsy looking and is not cast from pot metal.

Both brands of the presses passed my inspection as far as machining quality but I would not rely on either for doing some steps of reloading.

The only reason the three new presses are Lee is because I figured they may be easier to sell someday.

corey012778
07-21-2012, 10:25 AM
it is the only non american press in my reloading gear. rest are lee. from a older lee hand primer (not going to use this time around) to the brand new lee perfect powder measure setting in the box still.

the smartloader my get relegated to some type of light duty once I mount it up better. the lee "C" press right now will be my primer de capper case sizing, I know it can hold it has over 1000 boolit I used it mainly to size boolits.

jcwit
07-21-2012, 11:59 AM
While I constantly say to support U.S. companies and buy American whenever possible I also condem Blanket statements such as

Your never going to get good quality products from china. The chinese will make anything they can make a buck on. Their people who make this junk have never reloaded or shot a gun because it's against the law for them. They have no idea on what they are making.

Never going to get good quality from china? Check out your computor, camera "even Nikon is now made in china", the TV in your living room, the list goes on and on. Much of it is quality also.

Many many items are made by any country by folks who will never use the product and have no idea how to use it, just a fact of life.

btroj
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
No idea what they are making? How many people working in US arms manufacturers are shooters? Or knowledgable on the firearm as a whole? Do the people at a drug manufacturer all pharmacologists?

This is a silly comment. You don't need to know what you are making, ou only need to be able to do your job to its best.

These presses are made to be sold cheaply. Price point manufacturing sets limits on allowable quality. Doesn't matter if it is US or foepreign made, business is business.

I am sending this from my China made iPad. Wonder how that is possible?

jcwit
07-21-2012, 01:34 PM
All three of the new Lee presses try to bind up at mid stroke. Looks like the holes in the handle were drilled off just a little bit.
I sure see no signs of better quality, design or construction.
I would not use either for a lot of things but I am thinking the Black one is best, simply because it is so flimsy looking and is not cast from pot metal.

Is this implying that the Lee Presses are made from pot metal. My understanding is that Lee only makes one bench press at present from cast aluminum alloy, the Lee Reloader Press. Also the RCBS Partner Press is also cast from aluminum alloy, SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo?

With all that said, it still amazes me that folks would opt for a chinese made press when there are U.S.A. presses in the same price range and even less expensive if buying used.

UNIQUEDOT
07-21-2012, 02:04 PM

China is the worlds leading iron/steel manufacturer today. The Chinese are capable of producing any product with the same quality control standards as any one else. The importer is responsible for the quality of the junk coming out of China. I however prefer to buy American when i can. I do like the design of the smartreloader ammo boxes, but have not been able to bring myself to purchase any of them.

Well Gear, there is a reason for all the ********.

Yes, i believe the reason is not understanding nor following instructions.

Longwood
07-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Is this implying that the Lee Presses are made from pot metal.

Hydrochloric acid turns to foam when I put it on the press.
Sooooooooooooo,,,,,,
I guess I am not "Implying" anything.

UNIQUEDOT
07-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Lee's cheapo presses are made from ASTM 380 series aluminum which ain't pot metal, but why buy them? and especially why support an Italian company that has ripped them off and manufactured junk with the designs? especially when Lee has the best cast iron/steel single stage presses available today made in America by Americans for Americans and non Americans alike with American materials. I guess what ever excuse makes a person feel justified in his decisions to support a company that rips off an American company while also supporting the Chinese economy and laborer above his own is his own business though.

Longwood
07-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Lee's cheapo presses are made from ASTM 380 series aluminum which ain't pot metal, but why buy them? and especially why support an Italian company that has ripped them off and manufactured junk with the designs? especially when Lee has the best cast iron/steel single stage presses available today made in America by Americans for Americans and non Americans alike with American materials. I guess what ever excuse makes a person feel justified in his decisions to support a company that rips off an American company while also supporting the Chinese economy and laborer above his own is his own business though.

I was a buy American person for most of my 70 years.
I was a strong union member and reaped the rewards.
I noticed that nearly NONE of the young people had the same attitude and warned them hundreds of times about what would happen.
Well folks it not only would, but has happened and there is no slowing it down now.

Now,,, I buy lots and lots of stuff where Walmart buys their stuff (China) then pays people the crappy wages I warned them about to try and sell it to me.
I warned everyone I spoke to for years and finally just plain quit caring about them.

jcwit
07-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Hydrochloric acid turns to foam when I put it on the press.
Sooooooooooooo,,,,,,
I guess I am not "Implying" anything.

So does tyhe aluminum head on you vehicle.

jcwit
07-21-2012, 05:42 PM
I was a buy American person for most of my 70 years.
I was a strong union member and reaped the rewards.
I noticed that nearly NONE of the young people had the same attitude and warned them hundreds of times about what would happen.
Well folks it not only would, but has happened and there is no slowing it down now.

Now,,, I buy lots and lots of stuff where Walmart buys their stuff (China) then pays people the crappy wages I warned them about to try and sell it to me.
I warned everyone I spoke to for years and finally just plain quit caring about them.

Your apathy is one of the reasons the U.S. is in the shape its now in. :groner:

Thanks a Bunch.[smilie=b::x

From another oldster, I'm 68 and 2 months away from 69.

Note I say as long as both are near to the same price range. I buy import also, but only when no other option is available and huge price difference between the two items.

BTW, WalMart has nothing to do with it, check out any other big box store or small mom & pop store either for that matter.

I guess the "I was" pretty well covers it all.

Longwood
07-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Your apathy is one of the reasons the U.S. is in the shape its now in. :groner:

Thanks a Bunch.[smilie=b::x

From another oldster, I'm 68 and 2 months away from 69.

Note I say as long as both are near to the same price range. I buy import also, but only when no other option is available and huge price difference between the two items.

BTW, WalMart has nothing to do with it, check out any other big box store or small mom & pop store either for that matter.

I guess the "I was" pretty well covers it all.

I tried and I tried but when I realized I was pretty much alone and the new populous did and still does not care.
I gave up.
Yeah,,, I "Was".
Like it or not, the people that control the world banks are going to put us all on a level playing field.
It should all work out in time but it will be interesting to see just how it all comes down.
If the American companies can't manage to make it because they insist on their high prices, the people in charge could care less.
If people educate themselves, they will do well . If they do not things could get real bad for them before they get better.

UNIQUEDOT
07-21-2012, 08:17 PM
If the American companies can't manage to make it because they insist on their high prices

Quality is worth the few pennies more.

If people educate themselves, they will do well

Doesn't this contradict what you just said? what good is an education if the company they work for can't afford to pay them for their level of education because they can't produce a quality product as no one will pay "their high prices" for it? or did you mean they will need the education when they are forced to move to China?

corey012778
07-21-2012, 08:25 PM
If you have an old die body you can use a die grinder to cut a slot lengthwise through the threads. Then grind the diameter of the first few threads down a bit. This should allow you to chase the threads clean enough to use.

only had the two lee push thru dies I use for sizing and paper patching. just got back into reloading centerfire. been casting for muzzleloaders.