PDA

View Full Version : "Bearded axes"........???

3006guns
07-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Who is the best maker of bearded ("viking") axes? There are quite a few vendors on the internet, but only a few claim that their axes can be thrown and NONE of them actually mention being able to use it as an axe around camp.

I'd really like to have one but it has to be a quality tool, not just a toy, and do work. Something with an inserted/hammer welded edge would be perfect if available.

220swiftfn
07-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Don't know about "best" but Therion arms at least touts theirs as being forged..... I snapped an Albion skeggox on a throw, but the other one is still around, so *shrug* 50%???

Anywho, the one at Therionarms.com looks to be made well enough to be worked (thick in all the right places.....)

Dan

3006guns
07-20-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks Dan, I'll take a peek.

flounderman
07-20-2012, 10:46 AM
this is an aside to the viking axe. I was in kiev, ukraine going thru their museums. the vikings were there a 1000 years ago. must have had good genes because thats where all those beautiful ukraine women can trace their ancestry back to. I was looking for viking axes in the museum and only saw small, hatchet sized axe heads. stands to reason the big axes you see pictured with vikings would be clumsy to use as a weapon. the tomahawk would be a lot faster and that is more what the heads I saw looked like. no doubt they had large axes to work with. the heads I saw were bronze it looked like. saw a ring, I would have liked to have seen the man that wore it.

blademasterii
07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Brouse Youtube.. Find someone making one like you want and try to contact them to make one for you. If it is hand forged the likelyhood of you breaking it are slim to not bloody likely. If I had my shop setup here like I used to I would make you one. You might also try evil bay and look up railroad spike hatchet. Pretty sure there will be some of those around.

3006guns
07-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should have been a little more specific....I'm looking for what would be a tomahawk size "belt" axe, but with a wider bearded blade. In other words a handy, useful, moderate sized tool......not some fantasy example of a "battle axe" which would be totally useless. Such an axe could be used as a tool...or weapon if need be...which is exactly what they were used for by the "Nordic boys".

scb
07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Check out these folks.
http://www.rmjtactical.com/

Marvin S
07-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Www.2hawks.net I think might have what you want.

Frank46
07-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Try trackofthe wolf.com. I think they have one or two viking style axes. Frank

220swiftfn
07-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should have been a little more specific....I'm looking for what would be a tomahawk size "belt" axe, but with a wider bearded blade. In other words a handy, useful, moderate sized tool......not some fantasy example of a "battle axe" which would be totally useless. Such an axe could be used as a tool...or weapon if need be...which is exactly what they were used for by the "Nordic boys".

Well, the Therion ones look to be useful, the single-handed head is 7 3/4" long with a 4" edge.... The two handed looks to be about 8-9" long with a 5 3/4" edge (as an aside, the Albion that I was throwing was closer to the two-handed head, and it definitely hit with "authority"....) So the question is "what are you going to be using it for"??? If you're looking for a good all around "camp axe/hatchet" go for the one-handed. If you're thinking of using it for what the Norse used them for, (no, not THAT, I'm talking about planing timber, that's what the "beard" was FOR.....) then get the two-handed and shorten the shaft a bit........

Dan

badge176
07-21-2012, 07:15 AM
These guys are local to me, I've owned several items and I love how my med sized broad axe "sings" when rapped with a knuckle.

http://www.armor.com/polearms.html

FLINTNFIRE
07-21-2012, 12:42 PM
the gun works in springfield oregon , carrys a few cast and forged hawks and the like
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=42&do=detail&Cat2Option=no

3006guns
07-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Wow.......I honestly expected something like one or two responses! Cast Boolits has once again proven to be one big family of knowledge and help. Thanks everyone....it's going to take a little time to digest all the different offerings!

Silvercreek Farmer
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM
If you are still following this thread. These folks make awesome axes. You could (and still can) shave with mine.

http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/p_kastyxa.html

Gisli
08-05-2012, 08:34 PM
You know guys that "skegg " does not only mean a beard, but also many thing that protrude.
"Skegg" actually only referres to the lowest part of the axe
The word skeggöxi tells me that it is simply broad ax. We used them extensively during the viking period. After that, in the12 century, they ceased to be a weapon and became a household tool.

TCLouis
08-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Someone explained the good looking "Viking" women to me.

Viking was not a group of people it was an activity . . .

They went "A Viking" . . . That is to kill, steal, rape, pillage and kidnap the best looking women to take back home for entertainment purposes.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
there are quite a few artisans at the Contemporary Longrifle Association website that build to specs, or have patterns of actual ones in use during the Colonial Era here.

Rich