PDA

View Full Version : Wall hangers

Beekeeper
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
I know this is kinda the wrong place to put this but it is about a muzzle loader.

In a previous post I told about the 1842 Springfield musket I rebuilt for my SIL.
Now it seems as how I now own it and it is unfireable with the bad barrel so I wish to hang it on the wall.
I am looking for hangers, preferable something similar to what would have been used in 1842 but would be applicable to modern walls.
If not real ones pictures or diagrams of them so I can make a couple.

It looks so lonesome sitting there in the corner with a sock covering it up I feel sorry and want to do something.

beekeeper

Tatume
07-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I use brass coat hooks. They are cheap, readily available, and easy to install. Be warned that over time and much handling, they can cause very small dents in the stock. It is easily prevented with a tiny bit of leather, or careful handling. In your case, you won't be taking the gun down every other day, and it probably wouldn't matter to you anyway.

Nobade
07-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Turned wood pegs look nice, deer feet are good for the redneck touch.

skeet1
07-19-2012, 07:49 PM
If you wanted, you could make a rack something like this. Ken

gnoahhh
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Know any blacksmiths? If not, I bet you could find one on the 'net who could make you a couple of simple twisted iron hooks for cheap. Have him fashion a nail or screw on them to pierce the wallboard into the studs. About as 'original' as you can get!

Mike Brooks
07-20-2012, 06:31 PM
I lean my old guns in the corner. I suppose If I were to hang one on the wall I'd use a couple 16p nails.....might have to clear that with the wife first....[smilie=1:

Coffeecup
07-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Being rather lazy, the rifle on the wall over my computer desk rests on two dowels. I just drilled a couple 1/2" holes at a slight upward angle, and tapped in a couple of 1/2" dowels. One goes through the trigger guard ahead of the trigger, the forend rests on the other. The dowels will never fall off the wall, and they are long enough the gun requires deliberate action to take it down.

Like I said, lazy. Did I mention low tech?

Sven
07-26-2012, 12:41 AM
I lean my old guns in the corner. I suppose If I were to hang one on the wall I'd use a couple 16p nails.....might have to clear that with the wife first....[smilie=1:

Ya know, a couple of large cut nails might look pretty good with a muzzleloader hanging on them.

I had a bunch of 1836 vintage cut nails we pulled out of a porch on a house Dad was remodeling in Manchester, Mass back in the summer of '70. Wonder what ever happened to them???