PDA

View Full Version : double set triggers

Beekeeper
07-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Does anyone have a drawing as to how they work?
Have an idea to reduce the 18 lb trigger pull on my Martini/Mauser but have no clue as to how it should work.
If you know of any drawings please point me in the right direction,( no not that direction, already been there, he didn't have what I wanted so kicked me out).
LOL

beekeeper

NITROTRIP
07-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Mausers use a secondary knock off bar/hammer sear. The double set triggers have no
physical contact with the bolt head. Klenhousen's ( I think that is how it is spelled) Mauser
shop manual has a very good discription of how they work and setup. But there are other
way's of operation also. I think Dixie gun works has a bunch of different ones. I guy I knew about 15yrs ago used one of theres from a sidelock and modified it and used it on a old Remington/Keen bolt rifle and it worked great. Might get you started in some other direction
than the one you mentioned. LOL
RICK

gnoahhh
07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
There should be a screw that adjusts the engagement of the teeny tiny sear that holds the primary and secondary levers together when the rear trigger is pulled. Lacking that screw, the only alternative is to stone that sear. Unless you have 20/10 vision and nerves of steel I wouldn't go there!

If you're referring to the un-set trigger pull, just look at the linkage of the whole setup and carefully polish all of the bearing points, primarily of the kickoff bar. I wouldn't do more than polish, changing the angles of engagement could result in a botched unsafe job unless you're skilled at this stuff. Unset pulls are notoriously heavy. I have learned to live with them in my Mausers as-is, rarely using them unset. In fact, one of them only works if set.

220swiftfn
07-21-2012, 02:20 AM
There should be a screw that adjusts the engagement of the teeny tiny sear that holds the primary and secondary levers together when the rear trigger is pulled. Lacking that screw, the only alternative is to stone that sear. Unless you have 20/10 vision and nerves of steel I wouldn't go there!

If you're referring to the un-set trigger pull, just look at the linkage of the whole setup and carefully polish all of the bearing points, primarily of the kickoff bar. I wouldn't do more than polish, changing the angles of engagement could result in a botched unsafe job unless you're skilled at this stuff. Unset pulls are notoriously heavy. I have learned to live with them in my Mausers as-is, rarely using them unset. In fact, one of them only works if set.

Yep, mine's like that, when it's set, a cat sneeze will trip it, but unset is a bear to pull.......

Dan

KCSO
07-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Martini and Mauser are way different. If you go to the Brownell's catalog they show a nice view of the Mauser set trigger. The Martini is not really adapted for a set trigger but the pull can be taken down to about 3 pounds or so with carefull work. German 5 lever sets are about the best for a good light pull and they can be set to about 5 OZ. The Mauser sets will go down to about 1.5 pounds.