PDA

View Full Version : food stamp deal

shotman
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM
well found out today I can get $500 a month in food stamp program. MR O is all right . Need to keep him 4 more and maybe I can get $1500. before he is out
Remember when you vote YOU are helping me
And I work, but fill in the paper work and get a card

Ickisrulz
07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
The definition of impoverished has changed in our country.

While food is essential it is low on the list of people’s priorities. That’s why you see people getting food stamps driving nice cars and wearing new clothes. That stuff is more important than food and the government lets this thinking continue.

Love Life
07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a little...

Bob Krack
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
well found out today I can get $500 a month in food stamp program. MR O is all right . Need to keep him 4 more and maybe I can get $1500. before he is out

Hey - what do you expect? Use the stamps for booze and smokes and steak and use your paycheck for the junk like toilet tissue, tooth paste, and cleaning supplies (which you canNOT purchase with the foodstamps). :dung_hits_fan:

Bob

frkelly74
07-19-2012, 07:56 PM
You know, when I drove for JB Hunt I was kind of shocked when my wife discovered that even if I worked my butt off and drove till I was illegal we still qualified for food stamps. I actually think it has become part of the business model that they worked from. Under pay the drivers and let them make it up from the dole. They kind of put you in a trap and try to keep you there.

Roger Ronas
07-19-2012, 08:05 PM
I live on SSDI, when my gross was 1078.00 month I qualified for 16.00 a month FS. Then got a cost of living raise of 39.00 to a total of 1117.00 month. No longer qualify and had to pay back 2 months of 16.00 they claimed they overpaid me.

Get thern while you can.

Rog

fryboy
07-19-2012, 08:12 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/19/usda-partnering-with-mexico-to-boost-food-stamp-participation/

we should all change nationalities ..( just sayin' )

Bloodman14
07-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Please tell us that you are jerking our chains. . .

imashooter2
07-19-2012, 09:01 PM
If you're so close to the bone that you can't feed your family and need the $500 to survive, then I'm pleased to be a taxpaying contributor to your well being.

Otherwise, selling your dignity for $500 a month seems like a low price.

DHurtig
07-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm 57 years old and have worked 2 jobs most of my life and all that time was a text book example of the working class poor. Always made too much money to qualify for any kind of assistance. Unfortunately the people who did qualify lived better than we did. In the grocery stores they were buying steaks and convenience foods and soda that we couldn't afford. My kids grew up wearing hand me downs and things from yard sales and second hand stores. Theirs are wearing Nikes and Jordans and name brand jerseys and such. Usually they are driving better vehicles than us. A.nd of course they're living in new government subsidized housing that was maintained to the highest standards by the govt Never could keep quiet when they whine about hard their lives are.

Now my oldest daughter is a single mother working part time and going to college. I tell her straight up " Baby, get all you can ".

Wife and I make $60 k a year now and still live hand to mouth. Wife went back to school to get her teachers certificate and now we are paying $500 a month for her school loans. I've had 7 by passes after a massive heart attack that left me with congestive heart failure. I shouldn't have lived through the heart attack or the night mare that my surgery turned out to be. 11 months after surgery I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Even after the insurance pays we still spend an average of $250 a month on my prescriptions and deductibles and co-pays. Now I regret all the time I wasted busting my tail for little or nothing when I should have been with my wife and kids.

I still manage to do a little hunting and shooting and fishing. You do the best you can and don't worry about the rest. Once a friend was complaining about how it sucks to grow old. I told him " maybe, but it beats the hell out of dying young.

Keep your head and your spirits up as best you can. Find happiness where ever it presents itself and let the BS roll off. Dale

shotman
07-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Well if the site proves to be what it says . I am single over 55 I show {personal} less than $25,000 a year. I have NO rent and no car payment No mortgage No extra income that is {personal} Iam not hiding any thing it is their rules. that is tied to the oboma care package.
You good people keep voting democrap, so I can buy more ammo and guns and have real steaks and good wine
will let you all know
might be from an I pad in the south pacific
remember the women said { we need to pass this so we know whats in it }
update it dont take effect till july of 2014 so looks like I will starve to death.:(

Bloodman14
07-19-2012, 11:11 PM
My apologies, shotman, it's just that people who make a 'living' off of my taxes rub me the wrong way. If you need it to keep from going hungry, I have no issues.

JeffinNZ
07-19-2012, 11:32 PM
What exactly is a 'food stamp'. I take it we are not talking about edible postage payment labels.

Ickisrulz
07-19-2012, 11:57 PM
What exactly is a 'food stamp'. I take it we are not talking about edible postage payment labels.

"Food Stamps" are one of our "safety nets" here. Basically an allowance to purchase food at the government's expense (a grant not a loan). It was first designed to be a temporary means to help out families falling on hard times while they got things back together. Rules have changed over the years and now Food Stamps are a generational way of life for some.

runfiverun
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
they were called food stamps because the "money" come in little booklits like S&H green stamps used to.
you would purchase food with them and tear out the denominations from the book.
the problem was they became a secondary form of ghetto cash and were also traded for other things.
so they were changed to a credit card type thing that you just swiped in the machine like a debit card.

Blacksmith
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Food stamps are a form of welfare.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)[1] provides financial assistance for food purchasing to low- and no-income people and families living in the U.S. It is a federal aid program, administered by the Food and Nutrition Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, but benefits are distributed by the individual U.S. states. It is historically and commonly known as the Food Stamp Program.

You can read more on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplemental_Nutrition_Assistance_Program

Originally the program used printed paper coupons "Stamps" but awhile ago it was descided that paying for food with "Food Stamps" made the poor feel bad about themselves so they gave them a "Credit/Debit" type electronic card which is charged with taxpayer dollars by the government to improve their self esteem.

imashooter2
07-20-2012, 07:37 AM
My apologies, shotman, it's just that people who make a 'living' off of my taxes rub me the wrong way. If you need it to keep from going hungry, I have no issues.

Apparently he has guns, reloading gear and internet access, so he can't be that close to the bone. A guy with 25 grand a year and no rent, mortgage or car payment should certainly be able to feed himself without the help of the taxpayer.

How about DHurtig's admonition to his daughter to "get all you can?" Disgusting.

jcwit
07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
They offer
Folks qualify
So take the stamps

No different in my mind than accepting the money when winning the lottery.

Don't like the set-up? Work at changing the laws/rules. Complaining about it accomplishes nothing.

captaint
07-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, there is one difference between the gumment and the lottery. The lottery supports itself by willing players putting up the money people win.
On the other hand, the gumment has no money. They take money from us. I think a lot of us just think like the gumment just "has" money. They only have what they take - from most of us. enjoy Mike

HollowPoint
07-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Food Stamps are both a blessing and a curse.

I was raised on Food Stamps and Welfare by a single mother of seven kids. If it weren't for those government hand outs there's a good chance I'd be in prison like so many of my friends and relatives.

Those Food Stamps got our family through a long rough patch. When used for the purpose for which they were created they can be literal life-savers.

They become a curse when folks become dependent solely on Food Stamps and abandon their God-Given abilities.

Some of the kids I grew up with who also lived on Welfare and Food Stamps are still living on them to this day. They've learned how to work the system and are now teaching by example, their children and their grand-children.

Over time they've gotten it into their heads that they are owed these hand outs. And our government is more than happy to addict them if it means retaining their control over the masses.

The quickest way to turn your blessings into curses is to let them go to our heads.

HollowPoint

27judge
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
i own 3 seafood carryouts in maryland. Food stamps are used daily for crabs shrimp crabmeat lobster tails etc .The food stamp program used to be for milk bread and eggs remember? tks ken

jcwit
07-20-2012, 10:48 AM
i own 3 seafood carryouts in maryland. Food stamps are used daily for crabs shrimp crabmeat lobster tails etc .The food stamp program used to be for milk bread and eggs remember? tks ken

So have you ever written any goverment official regarding this?

Ickisrulz
07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
They offer
Folks qualify
So take the stamps

No different in my mind than accepting the money when winning the lottery.

Don't like the set-up? Work at changing the laws/rules. Complaining about it accomplishes nothing.

The notions that “it’s free” or “everyone else is doing it” are not legitimate excuses for someone to take from others if they really don’t need it. Of course this is an area of personal ethics that falls outside the program rules and people must decide themselves what help to take.

troy_mclure
07-20-2012, 11:10 AM
It's real common here in la. You can't buy "hot" food with it, but they cook the crawfish and stuff and put it over ice just for the food stamp people.
I grew up at times eating government cheese and peanut butter, also times when my dad didn't qualify and we had potatoes and turnips for months. Also poached a lot to help put meat on the table.
My parents are still fairly poor, and at 50 they took my 3yr old nephew whom the state had taken with a sister. The family that took the sister got $300/mo assistance for taking her, my parents got $60/mo foodstamps.

gray wolf
07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Ya know some of the stuff said about food stamps makes me a little Ill.
Julie and I have to live on my $1,100 social security,
Our rent is $525 for the small camp we live in ( see avatar )
Once a month laundry is about $30.00
Telephone and crappy dial up is about $60.00
Electric is about $80.00
car insurance about $65.00
gas about $150.
food $150.00
Tobacco $50.00
We get a small food stamp allotment, we can't spend it on anything BUT food.
no T P paper , no tobacco, no soda, candy, prepared food, no booze (don't drink )
Nothing BUT food.
We still have to go to our church for extra food. Trust me we eat very little.
I don't have $10.00 to my name to spend on myself.
We go to the charity place for cloths. I wear other peoples old, donated stuff.
I don't get my next check until the 3RD. of net month and just gave Julie my last $30.00
If it weren't for some of the the gracious fine, upstanding people on this forum
I wouldn't be able to fire a shot at the range.
They sent me some bullets, bought me some primers, some powder.
Sent us some cloths last winter, got us a truck, and in general have helped us beyond what you can imagine.
I live in my little make believe world, saying everyday how I am going to do this and I am going to that. Well men at 70 and with health problems You tell me what I am going to do.
I had an old, but very nice black powder rifle, I offered to Julie that we sell it and she get the things she thought we needed. She would not here of it and INSISTED
I trade it for my 44 Mag. That's how I got the pistol, and if it were not for the help here I couldn't even shoot it.
Last month I did laundry in the kitchen sink cause we couldn't got to the laundry.
Month before it was $140.00 for a battery for the truck.
The man was nice to let us pay it off in two payment.
This month Julie got a rock in the windshield, I have been driving with a crack windshield cause it's $100 deductible, so there goes next months check.
So I have to say please don't come down on a little food stamp help, some of us old folks really need it.
Plus my wife has to get dirty looks and remarks about going to the food pantry and using the food stamp card.
How dare these people condemn her and us for the meager little help we get just to stay alive.
Men I am sorry for saying all this, it's just that I get so angry when I get lumped into some of this. Please forgive me for the rant.
One of the men offered me some range brass 44 mag, I had to turn it down cause I didn't have the 6 bucks for the shipping.

Sam

Blacksmith
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Sam,

No one here thinks anyone who really needs help should not get it which is why people here have been generous toward you. The rants are about people who take it even though they don't need it, they take just because it is free and that leaves less to help those who are in need.

Reload3006
07-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I have absolutely no problem with people who need help getting it. I do have a problem with people who are on Food stamps or ADC assistance getting tattoos video games etc. I am not saying I am better than anyone else and I know hard times honestly I do. But when I faced hard times I didnt have luxuries either. nor did I expect them.

27judge
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Its also called the ebt card. I have called the program and its good for any uncooked food.And i do not have a problem with the program,its needed and used by many people who do need it. i do have a problem with people buying 24.95 a pound lobster tails and 22.00 a pound crab meat etc I donot think the original program was set up for those type foods tks ken.

Roundnoser
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Sam (Grey Wolf),

You are using the assistance as it was intended. I don't mind helping out good folks who try to be self-reliant. I don't like throwing my hard-earned tax money at people who use it to buy steaks, brand-name luxury foods, etc. -- Its ironic...my wife buys ground chuck and generic food so we can make ends meet and pay our taxes, but the next guy in line is using my tax money to buy ground round and seafood! Whats wrong with THAT picture???!!!

Welfare and assistance are not suppossed to make life EASY. Its suppossed to be just enough to get you through hard times. It is suppossed to be hard enough to motivate folks to get off of it (if possible). These days, it is being handed out like a "perk", and many people are abusing it as an entitlement. -- As I said, I don't mind helping good people through rough times. I have no time, sympathy or otherwise for those abusing the system.

Ickisrulz
07-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I wonder what is going to happen with all the people out there that instead of saving for retirement are living their working years in debt. I can only speculate, but in 20-30 years there’s no way Social Security will be paying enough money for people to live on. The government will not be able to help out with Food Stamps, etc. the way it does now either.

Do you suppose we’ll see a return to the old ways? Multi-generation households where the kids support their elderly parents might be the wave of the future. I’d be willing to bet in many cases this might be a more enjoyable existence for entire families.

GT27
07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Don't worry our savior will soon be here!http://i46.tinypic.com/2uhqtzc.jpg

gbrown
07-20-2012, 02:36 PM
From my perspective, it is a difference between a "safety" net and abuse. I have posted on other threads about seeing people standing in line with kids using their I-phones while the kids play on their smart phones and then whipping out a Lone Star card (Tx version) and then walking out to a vehicle that I couldn't afford. I don't know whose card that was, theirs or grandma's. The food in the basket wasn't grandma's, or grandma eats like a full grown grizzly and eats lots of chips and snacks. Grey Wolf and others around here need the safety net. That is what it was originally intended for. I know people who need it, because of age, medical problems, or whatever. The broken economy took a lot of older people's savings and investments away, and now their looking for help. I see people using a Lone Star with a basket full of necessities and good food. I'm all for that. I see 2 kids walk into the corner convience store and buy snacks and soft drinks, pull out a Lone Star card and use it. Grrrrrr

jcwit
07-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Use is one thing, abuse is another. This holds true not just for food stamps but for everything, food, drugs, chemicals used in farming, just everything.

Regarding food stamps, can you imagine the nightmare if all food products were categorized?

shooter93
07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
I have no problem helping people who truly need it. Hard working people all their lives who happen to be in lower paying jobs. Jobs that are still very necessary to us all. Not everyone is able "to better" themselves and make more money. Doesn't mean they are deadbeats. The money would be there if DC didn't watse trillions and the programs were watched like hawks for abuse. That being said.....teaching children to "get all they can" is disgusting and is a large part of the reason we're in the shape we're in both finicially and morally in this country.

gray wolf
07-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Don't worry men,
I know how y'all think about me, and how you guys watch out for Julie and I.
Bless you all. But there is another world out there and that's the one I am talking about.
I have seen the same abuses that you are talking about and it turns my stomach.
They even get a free cell phone and free service.
We tried to get a phone so we could have it for emergency's but they refused us cause of something about our address.
I see the Lobster, the fancy cars, all the junk food, and the plastic cards for a soda and chips.
I certainly don't blame anyone for getting pi$$ed about this abuse.
Thank you for letting me say my piece. I guess it gets to me when we get embarrassed out in public. People can get cruel.

shooterg
07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm glad there's a program to help out folks truly in need. I personally know a lady who was left with 2 kids by her worthless better half, she took every aid she could get for 4 years while going to nursing school. She's more than paid back her part in taxes since.

I've always thought the food stamp/EBT allotments should be severely restricted in what can be bought with them. As a kid we ate a lot of homemade bread, cornpone, beans and eggs , fried baloney was a treat, and I'd still be fine with that if I had to be.

Nothing like being in the Food Lion behind an overweight woman with EBT with 40 items in the 12 item express line, talking on the cell, while one of her brats plays a handheld video game and the other listens to his rap on his portable ear-thingy ! And then pull out cash to pay for the 6-pack and cigarettes...

shotman
07-20-2012, 08:33 PM
guys
the info was sent to me from a cousin that works for YOUR govermutt. IT is a deal in the health care package. that YOU will pay for. I dont need them and wont get them but it is there
Dont shoot the messanger
In 2008 Mr O said no new taxes This oboma care will bankrupt the country and SNAP [as it is called] will be least of problem
Got to love Jeff
rick

27judge
07-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Hey shooterg well said. How about live blue crabs at 50.00 a doz, raw shrimp at 11.95 a lb and snow crab legs frozen at 9.95 a lb paid with a ebt card and then hand you cash to cook them .It is a shame the abuse of the system we see every day.The problem is every food store business now has this problem and its to late to stop it with 1 out of every 7 people on the card . tks ken

Love Life
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM
You'll should take a trip down to the south east. Start in Washington, GA and look around. You will see living on welfare is a multi-generational career.

FergusonTO35
07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't have a problem with anyone receiving government assistance if they are working and leading an honest, law abiding life. Now that I look back on it there were a few years in my life where I was working full time and going to college and probably qualified for some kind of assistance. In the late 90's I was living by myself and often bringing home less than $200.00 a week. Those were some of the hardest years of my life and I won't begrudge anyone in the same situation who accepts some help that is offered.

Plate plinker
07-20-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't know much, but if a guy is fit and of working age he should have to earn those stamps some way. The side effect is earning some dignity. Trust me on this, currently working with a fellow that has some serious drive in him because his momma was a deadbeat livin high on the dole, but choose to live with his poor dad. Told me this very recently, made me understand his work ethic. Like I said dignity.

jcwit
07-20-2012, 11:41 PM
I understand where you're coming from but what about the kids? Lets not forget many times the F/S's help to feed the young'uns while dad or mom are out of work, plus the parents taxes are what helped to pay for the stamps, just as unemployment or disability.

Plate plinker
07-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Like I said pard let them earn them some how. Mow a church yard or grave yard. Sweep up at a county park/city park, something, anything. Dignity\motivation.

jcwit
07-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Let me try to explain it a little differently. Back in the days when I was working at Thanksgiving and at Christmas we would give a family a complete Thanksgiving dinner, turkey, potatoes, gravy, yams, rolls, butter, complete, all the fixings.

At Christmas we would do the same, but always asked the welfare folks about kids in the family, boys or girls, and approx ages, nothing personal just enough so as to supply a gift or two for each of the kids. Gave all the kids a Christmas and the family had a Christmas dinner.

My employer told me every year that more than likely the father was a drunk or shiftless or just no good, that may all have been the truth. But I sure wished I could have seen the littleones faces on Christmas morn when there were actually a few presents under the tree for them after all. Course that never happened.

Compassion!

TAMU74
07-21-2012, 04:44 AM
As a disabled vet (50%) and a retired teacher, my wife two grown but disabled children, and I live on my disability and retirement, a bit less that $ 2000.00 a month. I don't even know if we would qualify for food stamps because we have always managed to eat pretty well and we have a roof over out head. We manage to keep the lights on and gas in the tank. My wife and I both grew up in the cotton fields of West Texas and learned from the start that you did whatever it took to get by and that you took care of family first and neighbors second except when the needed it more than you did, then they came first. Having to retire early because of a second open-heart surgery, sure puts a kink in the budget but we manage. I got back into reloading because another retired teacher gave me some brass, primers, a small electronic scale and a Lee loader for the 722 Remington .222 that I Inherited from Daddy. (Thanks John!) That inspired me to dig out the old CH press, that I had inherited, and buy some secondhand dies off E-Bay and go back to what I had learned from Daddy back when I was growing up. Now I'm beginning to gather up the equipment needed to start casting again, primarily for a secondhand Marlin .45-70 and a Ruger .357 I bought back in better days. So far I have gotten a mold for the .45-70 and after the first of the month I'll hit the thrift shops to find a pot and a ladle to go with it. If the electric bill isn't too high I might even be able to get some liquid alox to lube them with them. I figure a push through sizer will come the next month, then I'll start working up some loads in hope of getting drawn for a WMS hunt. For those of you who choose to avail youselves of the government's generosity with the money of others: just remember that all things are noted in the "Big Tallybook" for the day when all accounts are settled.

41 mag fan
07-21-2012, 09:21 AM
You know, I read all the posts for once in this thread instead of just skimming, and as much as the sour taste in my mouth still lingers for the guy, but i got to say, Clinton had it right back when he was in office.
IIRC, 2 yrs on welfare, then you better have a job, if you're physically and mentally able.

Back in '96 I got a divorce, got custody of the kids, 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 yrs old. Ex split back to Tx, dropped everything including bills, kids, and no child support. Couldn't get the state to do anything about it, you can bet if the role was reversed, I'd of been sitting in jail.
Back then I was barely making $19,000/yr.
Had to use the food bank several times, and actually got turned away on the last time, because I'd been there more than once in a 3 mo time frame.
Between the bills and my daughter starting kidergarten, I couldn't make ends meet.
I filed for divorce, and bankruptsy within a 2 mo period.
To file for divorce, cost was $600, same with bankruptsy, $600.
I took 3 pistols to my late grandfather, and laid my cards on the table. Borrowed $600 for the divorce, with the guns as collateral. He was worth millions, but i didn't want no help, or handouts.
Told him I will pay you back, and I earned his respect, by not asking for a handout, but a loan, with collateral.
I paid him $25/mo, and it took 1 yr to pay, but I paid him in full, using taxes the next yr to pay him off fully.
While this was going on, I had many stumbles over a 6 mo period, that kept dragging me thru the dirt.
Vehicles had been repo'd, had a '77 Impala that I had fixed, cost $600, kid in school, it was just one thing after another. My nearest family member was 65mi north, and my ex's family, her included, were 19hrs south.....thankfully.

Tried to get some assistance, and got turned down for food stamps, I made to much. I did get help on sitter costs, but I had to pay $35/wk while the state picked up the rest.
School fees and lunches were free...thank God for that.
Kids did get medicaid, they paid my co pays and ins costs that my ins from work didn't cover.
'96 & '97 were really rough, my daughter was in girl scouts and I had to pull her out. I didn't have the .50/wk to pay for her to go.
I will say, I got po'd and put my head to the grindstone. Back then I loved to garden, and I will brag, i had a garden that master gardeners were amazed at.....
But just to survive, I learned to survive, and do it on my own with very little outside help.

Every year, I canned around 130 qts of beans, 50 qts or tomatos, 50 qts of squash and zuccini, and I froze alot too.
Come spring, me and the kids would fish when the bluegills, crappie and bass were spawning.
April and May I'd freeze close to 1000 fillets. Every day, after work, we fished, unless it was raining. Inbetween we'd hop in the woods and pick mushrooms.
Come August, I'd squirrel hunt, fall my parent would take the kids on opening weekend of deer season, and I'd get my 1 deer I was alloted back then.
This alone helped us get thru the year.

Money was so tight back then, I had no option but to hunt, fish and garden.
Every time I'd start getting caught up, something would happen that'd knock me to the ground.
Back then, I rented a house, that had 2 bedrooms. the house itself had no room bigger than 9'x9'. Very small, and very run down.
In '98 the kids were getting to old and needed their own rooms, so I was able to secure a high interest loan for a 3 bedroom trailer. Interest was 28% on a $6k loan.
In the same month, I had to go to a buy here pay here place and bought a '88 Dodge Dakota.
Making these 2 payments, plus all the other payments, the yr of '98 it was horribly hot here, I couldn't even afford to run the air in the trailer. Looking back now, I'm abhorred as how we had to live. We survived in that trailer that year, with a box fan in the window. Poor kids while sitting in front of the fan, had rosy looking cheeks from it being so hot.
But by '99 things got somewhat better, I was making $10.75/hr, was still broke, every penny was used on bills.
My check each friday was gone.
My grocery bill though, stayed the same. From '96 thru '99 my alloted amount I could spend for groceries was $6/wk.

Finally though, in 2001, I met my now wife(married in '02), and things got alot better. I stayed at that same job for 11 yrs before I quit and went to the mines. When I quit there in 2006, I was barely making $28,000.00. Now I make 3 1/2 times that.
But those 6 yrs, were a struggle and challenge, and gave me a an attitude towards dead beats, that embarrasses my wife when we're out and about.

There was alot of hard times back then, that I didn't mention, inbetween the hard times. Lots of people have commented, they'd of attempted to rob a bank or went nuts, with what I had went thru with kids, bills and just plain bad luck.

I learned how to squeeze a human out of a turnip, make a penny turn into a dollar, and to not rely on anyone but myself.
My kids learned how to sniff a penny off the ground a block away, as did I. My wife just shakes her head, because I look for money on the ground, I am a food hoarder, I'll buy more than we need in groceries. Plus I gripe if we cant put money back in saving with each check.
I'll never forget what I had to go thru, and each yr I return the gratefullness of what i've got now.
Besides sponsoring 2 kids each yr at Christmas, I also give to the food bank at that time.
Even though, I give back, I still harbor a contempt towards those who abuse the system, that was put in place to help those who need help.
Several times a yr my wife gets embarrassed because i let that contempt come out.
Don't really care though, I figure if I had to go thru the hard times, and got turned down for help, these deadbeats out there need the same treatment.
Work and get help where its needed or starve and be homeless.

shooterg
07-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Good job, 41 Mag. Your kids will always remember and profit from those hard times spent together.

jcwit
07-21-2012, 10:35 AM
WOW! Just wonder

WWJD