PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo

NLS1
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
After several weeks of looking around, I finally got an in with one of my local tire shops!

I went and talked to the owner the other day, and after a couple follow up calls, he just said, sure, come by and weigh them and do scrap price.

Took home #170 today, and started sorting, will let ya know how it all works out.

Not a lot of steel or zinc, but lots of stick on weights. But lots more lead clip ons than I figured it would be too.

They said the buckets fill up every couple weeks!

Looks like I found my beginnings of a lifetime supply!

Dan

220swiftfn
07-19-2012, 01:20 AM
TAKE...............THEM..................DONUTS... .............

Dan

NLS1
07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah I paid in cash and was thinking of taking donuts tomorrow as an extra thank you!

Dan

NLS1
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Well, after sorting out 170lbs of weights, I have 156 pounds of lead wheel weights.

It was 46 lbs stick on and 110 clip on.

Intersted to see how much the clips weigh.

Once it's smelted down I will give an update.

Very little zinc, maybe 4 lbs, and steel was probably 10.

Dan

Defcon-One
07-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Great find! We all get a day like that once in a while.

Your stats on Zinc and Steel match mine pretty close.

NLS1
07-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Great find! We all get a day like that once in a while.

Your stats on Zinc and Steel match mine pretty close.

Yeah, it's nice when it works out some times!

I really am surprised and grateful that there weren't more zinc weights, they must still be a little cost prohibitive. Plenty of steel ones though, I imagine when the lead gets phased out, if they officially do, that it will be steel as the most common, since the cost is probably lower.

Dan

NLS1
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
In fact since the steel and zinc weights are so much bigger, I imagine they might become unpopular.
And if I had a guess, I would think that dynamic balancing would become extremely common, where as now it is only fairly common with heavy truck tires, and motorcycles.

Dan

canyon-ghost
07-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Dynamic balancing came along more than 20 years ago. The problem they couldn't solve was keeping the material from clumping together.

You'll like wheelweight for it's casting and shooting, has enough hardness to work in about any handgun and it has enough alloy metals to water quench into good rifle bullets. I don't care for the smell though.

Welcome to wheelweight pourers!

12DMAX
07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
KEEP.......YOUR...........STINKING.........DONUTS. ........OUT............OF..........MY............. ...TOWN:smile:

donuts do the trick:2 drunk buddies: