PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Hill press

supe47
07-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Look what I found on my doorstep this morning. Ordered on 7/11/12 and delivered on 7/18/12. I could not be more pleased with the quick response of RCE. Now the fun begins. Supe
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/19332500778ba9a74a.jpghttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/19332500778baa66ae.jpg

Perhaps I should learn how to post before trying.

Utah Shooter
07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
So you found some X's on your door step. Sweet. :smile:

taminsong
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
You're lucky, RCE is just next door to you.
I've been waiting mine for more than 3 months and hopefully maybe this month it will show up!

AbitNutz
07-22-2012, 02:49 AM
God, that is beautiful

supe47
07-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Yup, it's a work of art. But, that's all it is until I receive my dies. Until then all I can do is stare, admire it and twiddle my thumbs. I call this situation my "lesson in patience". Good things come to those who wait..........I guess.

Sasquatch-1
07-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Doesn't it have the case holder adapter? You can always do a little reloading with it to get some practice.

supe47
07-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Yes it does. I'm in the process of mounting it in the perrrr-fect position. The operating handle has a long throw so the press needs to be mounted a bit higher than my rock chucker. All my reloading is done on a modified tile saw stand that folds flat for storage. It's plenty strong for the rock chucker but I do believe when I get serious with the Walnut Hill I'll need a more robust, dedicated mounting. I have already mounted it to my homemade reloading platform but at present time it's only for admiration. My rock chucker handle fits like a glove and is shorter so the arc of the handle is shorter, I don't have to bend down as far. The Walnut Hill press requires a full 180 degree rotation of the toggle block, unlike the RC's 110 degree (approx.), so to achieve cam over a bit of bending over is required on my part. I have to make a mount to raise this puppy up 'bout a foot to save my poor old aching back. That'll get done this week.

taminsong
07-23-2012, 12:38 AM
supe47,

While waiting for my Walnut Hill to arrive, I prepare some lumber for the bench which to put the thing on. But as of the moment, I never start building the bench because I didn't know what height would be ideal for the Walnut Hill.

Would you mind sharing some info about the height of the bench if you build yours?

Thanks.

supe47
07-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Certainly! RCE recommends mounting about a foot higher than your normal reloading height. The length of the WH press handle is 20" compared to the RC handle of 14" and seeing as the WH press handle has to go from straight up to straight down you get a pretty lengthy throw. I have mine temporarily mounted to play with it so I understand why the handle has a slight (30 degrees or so) in the approx. middle. I'll be making another handle tomorrow (shorter with a 90 degree bend) to use when reloading. I don't full length size 50 calibers so I don't need the oomph when reloading. When I start swaging I'll remount the press and replace the factory handle. Also, when you mount your press be aware of the swing of the toggle block through it's travel. I mounted mine as far in as I could, against the pivot arms and the toggle block hit when I put it through it's rotation. Had to do a bit of chiseling for clearance. If you mount it on a metal plate or give it a 3/4" gap it should have plenty of clearance. Next post I'll include some pics for inspiration or giggles. I hope your press arrives soon. As of right now mine is only a black, blue and silver work of modern art. Hope to make it a working piece of art. Still, it shore be purty. Supe

Sasquatch-1
07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Yes it does. I'm in the process of mounting it in the perrrr-fect position. The operating handle has a long throw so the press needs to be mounted a bit higher than my rock chucker. All my reloading is done on a modified tile saw stand that folds flat for storage. It's plenty strong for the rock chucker but I do believe when I get serious with the Walnut Hill I'll need a more robust, dedicated mounting. I have already mounted it to my homemade reloading platform but at present time it's only for admiration. My rock chucker handle fits like a glove and is shorter so the arc of the handle is shorter, I don't have to bend down as far. The Walnut Hill press requires a full 180 degree rotation of the toggle block, unlike the RC's 110 degree (approx.), so to achieve cam over a bit of bending over is required on my part. I have to make a mount to raise this puppy up 'bout a foot to save my poor old aching back. That'll get done this week.

I've found that even when forming 300+ grn bullets in .429, with full brass jacket, that I use about a quarter of the pressure (with my Corbin "S" press) then I use to size cases when using the Rockchucker. It is absolutely amazing what the right tool will do.

supe47
07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
supe47,

While waiting for my Walnut Hill to arrive, I prepare some lumber for the bench which to put the thing on. But as of the moment, I never start building the bench because I didn't know what height would be ideal for the Walnut Hill.

Would you mind sharing some info about the height of the bench if you build yours?

Thanks.

I can't say what would be best for you but I can tell you what I've done.....so far. I have it mounted on my normal loading table (has to be portable). I usually work sitting down on an adjustable office chair. Dropped that rascal 5 " so that places the table top about 2"s below my elbow level. The handle supplied is 19 1/2" and seemed a bit long for my needs at present time so I made a prototype handle measuring 13". I have to reach up a bit at the start of the throw and bend slightly at cam over. I made the new handle with the same rearward angle to utilize a semi-downward push at cam over. I haven't tried the new handle yet (still in development, ain't purty yet and no grip on the end) but if what Sasquach-1 says in the previous post (I have no doubt) it should function just fine. If'n ya look closely you can see where I had to play beaver on the mounting plank to make space for the lugs on the toggle block. Before you mount your press check clearance with the press in SWAGE mode otherwise you may need a bit of beaver action also. Hope one way or the other the pics bring a smile to your face. I have plenty of time to make changes before my dies arrive. Going to give the press a go in reloading mode in the very near future. I have a PM to Lafaun about his lead wire swage die but haven't heard from him. That will most likely be the first chance to test swage mode. Supe

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/19332500f60204ab46.jpg http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/19332500f602062240.jpg http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/19332500f602056e97.jpg

taminsong
07-25-2012, 12:41 AM
WOW! Very nice pics!

That's a BIG PRESS!
I have to built my bench a real sturdy to hold that press.

Thanks for the idea, appreciate it much!

supe47
07-25-2012, 02:04 AM
I mounted both handles to show you the difference in lengths. If ya notice, I use a collapsible tile saw stand i found at a swap meet ($10). Plenty sturdy so far but the swaging has not yet begun. It handles all my reloading needs with no creaks, groans wobbles. The press itself isn't that much larger than my Rockchucker (a couple inches taller) but it is a tad bit wider. Be prepared for a fairly lengthy throw with the 19 1/2" handle and heed my words about testing clearances in swage mode to avoid the mistake I made. Heard from Lafaun about my wire die so I should be testing the swage mode soon. Have patience, I believe you'll be pleased. My press just showed up without notice.

taminsong
07-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Hehehhe, yeah, sometimes, as they say it, patience is a virtue which I have none!