PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Shoot-n-See targets

MikeyPooh
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Well I really didn't know where to put this little project of mine, so if a mod thinks there's a better location please move it.

This is really kind of dumb, but, I figure some folks here might appreciate this, or at least get a kick out of it...

So, I love those shoot-n-see targets, but I hate their price, lol... so I got to thinking (look out!)

I went to Wal-Mart and got some boxes of crayons for 50 cents each.

Then I went to Office Max and got a 250 sheet ream of thick (67#) yellowish paper for about $14.

Then I got home, got an old jar, and proceeded to melt down a box of crayons. I figured it would end up a blackish goop, and that is basically right. It took a surprisingly long time in the microwave though.

Then I took one of those really cheap brushes and proceeded to slather the goop onto the paper and wala:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8499/img6505800x600.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/img6505800x600.jpg/)

So, this was the best one - it seems that using the thinnest coat of crayon goop produced the best results. Also, this target was shot with .41 SWC's - I also shot some with 9mm FMJ's and .22's and the results weren't quite as good - but it might be because I was shooting them at the targets I painted up thick - my range trip was cut short due to thunderstorms.

Another idea I had was maybe try paraffin, or even garage-sale-special candles, and RIT dye.

So it seems you can do about ten 6" circles per 50 cent box of crayolas - factor in the cost of the paper and it's still about a dime per target.

Not something I'd want to spend hours doing... but I could see taking a day in the winter, or a rainy day, and making a bunch in one shot to use throughout the year.

Oreo
07-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I've thought of spray painting wax paper black. Haven't tried it though. The real shoot-n-see targets are paint over a thin plastic coating.

MikeyPooh
07-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Hmm, that would be a lot easier, wouldn't it?? lol

I may give the spray paint on wax paper a try, thanks.

In for a penny, in for a pound!

geargnasher
07-19-2012, 03:31 PM
There was another thread similar to this in this same sub-forum last year, I believe the OP used spray paint and some sort of low-stick surface so the paint would flake easily when the target was flexed by a boolit. That was also about the same time that Birchwood-Casey was suing some other companies for patent infringement on the Shoot'n'C target concept.

Gear

Edit: Well heck, I looked through all three pages and it isn't here, must have been in another section.

andremajic
07-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I always check the trash cans at the range. Seems like everybody uses the shoot n see targets and throws away the dots used to cover bullet holes.

They make dandy small targets on a piece of notebook paper, and when you hit the much smaller bullseye, you get the neon color to show for it.

4060MAY
07-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Use plastic table cloth covering about 14.00 for 200', I use Yellow
staple to the backstop or a piece of cardboard
use a cutout of whatever...I shoot 22lr long range Silhouette so I use animal cutouts....spray lightly with Flat Black Enamel thru the cutout...then as it tacks up load the paint....22 holes at 200yds are no problem

400short
07-27-2012, 06:59 AM
I tried spray painting waxed paper but it didn't work very well. I ended up by applying
2" wide clear shipping tape (like scotch) over a paper substrate, then spray painting the tape. It works really well. I got the idea from youtube.

07-27-2012, 07:38 AM
I spray cardboard with yellow and then, when it's dry, spray it over with flat black. Works.