PDA

View Full Version : My boolits grew longer

BCall
07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
I know this has been mentioned on the forum before, especially with guys who are doing more radical resizing, but this is the first time I have noticed it in my own boolits. I normally don't do such large resizing, so I guess it has never been noticeable to me.

I recently bought a 22835 mold. I do not have a 22 savage or anything with a 228 bore, but as a lover of all small caliber molds, I couldn't resist. I was pondering on what I was going to do with it, so I finally cast a few up. Not having a .228-.230 sizer(the boolits dropped at just over .230 and just over 80 grains), I proceded to lube a few by hand so that when I ran them through a 225 push through sizer, the lube grooves didn't collapse and disappear. After sizing, they grew .040 in length! Easily visible by the eye when sitting beside an unsized one. Just thought it was neat.

I'm gonna try these in a 1-9" .223 at lower velocities. Any one ever shot this mold, maybe even resized one to .225?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN852238.jpg

.22-10-45
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Hello, BCall..that metal has to go somewhere! Just wondering, how do the bases look after sizing? Are they puckered or dished?

BCall
07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Not really dished, but there is a very slight ring at the edge of the base. I can't really see it, but I can feel it with a fingernail. I can't say for sure, but i suspect a slightly larger base punch would solve it.

blaser.306
07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
What % of ****** are you adding to your melt? ( sorry couldn't resist )

jblee10
07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
I am eager to hear how they shoot. Keep us posted.

1Shirt
07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
I also would like to see the results. Do you have a .226 push thru to try as well. If not, send me a few unsized, and I will run them thru my 226 and send them back for you to test. Should be interesting.
1Shirt!

BCall
07-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Not good result I'm afraid. Groups darn near needed to be measured with a yardstick at 50. Oblong holes in the paper, and I'm guessing that it's too much lube. No need for all of that lube at the low velocity I was shooting them.

I do have a 226 sizer, but I had to seat the bullet well below the case neck to get it to chamber and I don't think sizing to .226 will make much difference at this point. I think I will have to get the velocity up to get them to stabilize first, and with no gas check and the base well below the case neck, I'm not sure how much velocity I can get. I am envisioning something like a medium burn powder with a case filler like PSB to protect the base. But as I have never used fillers before, it is something I will have to work up to. Something to tinker with in the future.

I wish I had a single shot rifle chambered in 22 Savage to shoot them in. Anyone know where I can get a .227 barrel blank?

303Guy
07-26-2012, 03:55 AM
I'd say it's not the velocity but that the boolit is simply too long for that twist rate. Increasing velocity won't help. Increasing pressure might make a difference but I doubt it. But try it anyway. After all, my 1-in-16 hornet stabilizes a 60gr spire point!