PDA

View Full Version : paperpatching

johnson1942
07-18-2012, 04:19 PM
thanks ron, of idaho, a while back i read about you somewhere and you helped convert me from a cast bullet pushed down the barrel by a starter to paperpatched. again thanks. im a solid convert now. to nobade, i have 2 .50s, one target and one hunter. i sold my .40 to a man in mich. last winter. the twist of the .50s are 1 in 23. depth of grooves 4 thousands. 8 lands and grooves. 1 and 1/8 inch diam barrel 30 inches for the hunter and 32 and 1/2 for the target. both shoot better than i can they are sidelocks with out a ramrod. i shoot a sevenhundred grain pure lead bullet in both of them. i cast the bullet but i also have swaggeing equiptment to swage them. the hunter is really too much gun for deer or antalope. they just go down they are thrown down. i want to tell everyr one a funny story about my big .50 hunter and a reallyi nice buck two years ago. a really big racked big buck came out of the pines about 350yards away and stood broadside not seeing me. i put my cross sticks in the ground, sat down and set the gun in them. my sights are set for 100 yards so i flipped up the 1400 yard sights that were not set i click them to about 3 clicks haveing no idea if that would do it. i aimed for the front shoulder and set it off. the sights was too high and i took out a nice big chunk of hair as the bullit nicked his back over the shoulder. boy that must of stung because he went to bucking like a horse in a rodeo. man did he buck he bucked all the way back into the trees. i laughted so hard i all most had to lay down. i still laugh when i think of it. i have shot two deer with that gun. one of the deer had the whole top of his head blown off and the other was a chest shot. the chest shot one coughed up two hands full of ground bone as it was dieing. that gun is best for buff. or alaska bear. the two guns im building now is a .45 with a 1 in 18 twist and a .50 1-28 twist the .50 will be a dual purpose gun both sabots and limited to a 500grain paperpatched bullet. they are side locks and very traditional with ramrods also. keep the conversation comming i enjoy the feed back and any new info i can get. thanks

wgr
07-19-2012, 03:15 AM
i been shooting pp bullets in my muzzle loader for a wile now. shoot 450grain in my 1 in 28 twist and 350 in my 1 in 48

nanuk
07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
i want to tell everyr one a funny story about my big .50 hunter and a reallyi nice buck two years ago. a really big racked big buck came out of the pines about 350yards away and stood broadside not seeing me. i put my cross sticks in the ground, sat down and set the gun in them. my sights are set for 100 yards so i flipped up the 1400 yard sights that were not set i click them to about 3 clicks haveing no idea if that would do it. i aimed for the front shoulder and set it off. the sights was too high and i took out a nice big chunk of hair as the bullit nicked his back over the shoulder. boy that must of stung because he went to bucking like a horse in a rodeo. man did he buck he bucked all the way back into the trees. i laughted so hard i all most had to lay down. i still laugh when i think of it.

I'm sorry but I don't find that story funny.

I wished I had read where you at least attempted to find that deer because you surely killed it, it only took a bit of time to die......

it is about ethics

johnson1942
07-19-2012, 11:48 PM
to boolit master: the deer didnt die, he just lost a little hair, stop being so anal. get a life out side your chair in front of your computer. if you ever told me in person i lacked ethics you would need a real set of gonads.

Longwood
07-20-2012, 12:23 AM
thewayyouwritesuremakesitdifficulttoread.:wink:

Tatume
07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
he went to bucking like a horse in a rodeo

The deer was gut shot; +1 on not funny.

Plinkster
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
+2 on not funny. Go ahead and claim you have ethics all you want but taking a shot at an animal while not being sure of the humane kill is the definition of an unethical hunter.