PDA

View Full Version : What 22 ammo for a 6" revolver?

Tokarev
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
What can you recommend for accurate paper punching in a Charter Arms revolver with 6" barrel?
This is mostly intended for the new shooters and kids visitors to the range.

44man
07-18-2012, 11:38 AM
What can you recommend for accurate paper punching in a Charter Arms revolver with 6" barrel?
This is mostly intended for the new shooters and kids visitors to the range.
.22 ammo today is a problem. I find Fed bulk pretty good with the least failures to fire and the least bloopers.
CCI always has the best and I like the Blue Tag hollow points.
WW is spotty after being super for many years.
Rem is no better.

TXBRILL
07-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I find that the CCI Blazer .22 ammo is as accurate and consistant as most of the other brand
.22's at higher prices. The fact that it is less expensive is a bonus

paul h
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
New shooters aren't likely to shoot well enough to notice any benefit of match grade ammo, so I'd go with bulk ammo. Fed bulk box or cci blazers have shot well through my 22rf handguns and rifles.

I would avoid remington bulk, every few years I think maybe it's gotten better so I buy another brick. Filthy stuff and several failures to fire per brick. Avoid unless it's the only ammo you can find.

deepwater
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Wolf .22 ammo is made in Germany or Austria and is very good. They have shooter quality and match. Much less than the traditional RWS and Eley stuff.

BCB
07-18-2012, 07:01 PM
I shoot the Federal Champions in my Super 14” Match barrel and in my Single-Six…

Both shoot them really well…

I’ve tried lots and lots of different 22 ammo, and the Federal has done the best overall…

I can hit electrical box “plugs” (quarter size) at 50 yards from the Contender and a sandbag rest…

Good-luck…BCB

Tokarev
07-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Wolf .22 ammo is made in Germany or Austria and is very good. They have shooter quality and match. Much less than the traditional RWS and Eley stuff.

Wasn't Wolf supposed to be Russian, Tula arsenal?

ebner glocken
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I've had above luck with bulk packed remington "golden bullets", lots of misfires and inconsistant. CCI blazer is good but about the most consistant cheap ammo I have found is federal "automatch" sold in bulk at walmart for around 13 bucks for 325 rounds. Some lots are better than others but none so far have been bad. Most of this has been fired out of a 41 S&W, some out of a 10" TC.

Ebner

palmettosunshine
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I've had the best luck with the CCI as well. It was the only thing my very finicky Bersa would reliably fire and feed. Now my Ruger Mark II will feed and fire darn near anything. YMMV.

500Smith
07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
I like the Wolf Match Extra. Does very well at 25yrds in my Dan Wesson and Colt trooper.
I get it from Midway. Says made in Germany on the box.

MtGun44
07-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Only that particular gun and Mr. Target know the answer to this question.

Get a box each of 4-10 different ones, depending on how much time you have to spend,
and shoot groups at the range you intend to plink at. Might not make much difference,
but I have found large differences.

Bill

KYCaster
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, what Bill said.........And when you find a clear winner, go back and buy all of that lot you can find/afford.

Sometimes it helps to condition the barrel for a particular load so for your accuracy trials shoot 20 foulers before shooting for group. It can make a big difference.

I think it's a bit counter productive to assume a new shooter can't take advantage of an accurate gun/load. There's no need to break the bank with high-$ match ammo, but with a little experimentation you should be able to find an affordable load that will shoot nearly as well if not equal or better. The last thing you want to do to a noob is handicap them with equipment that's not equal to their ability.

Jerry

MtGun44
07-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Back when I got my wife a nice .22 rifle, I did a thorough test and found that it liked
PMC Sidewinders above all others. I bought a 5000 round case of bricks at the next gun
show (For $85, IIRC :shock:) and she is set for life with ammo that will always shoot to the sights
and accurately. It will put 10 into 3/8"-1/2" at 50 yds if you are doing your job. Some ammo
shot into 2-3" at that range!!!

Bill

Tokarev
07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I hope that buying this cute revolver will lure my wife, who is extremely busy homeschooling kids, sewing clothes and cooking for our family, to the range. She loves shooting less recoiling guns, but was too busy since we pulled the kids from public school system. That is for like 4 years now.

Good advise here gentlemen, off to the range this weekend to try out the 6 gun with different ammo!

subsonic
07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
A big +1 on Blaser (especially in revolvers) and the Wolf Match Target (Match Extra is just extra $$ in my guns), but really the Wolf isn't that great in handguns compared to the price due to the low velocity. The Remington Golden Bullets are pretty accurate - when they go off! I have had a lot of jams from the cheapie federal bulk boxes as well as mediocre accuracy.

If I were you, I'd get those two above and some of the new Winchester "555" bulk packs like they sell at Wal-Mart, and anything else cheap and locally availabe and see what happens. The Federal Auto-Match and CCI Green Tag shoot OK, but not great and are more money for nothing in my guns. Your guns may be different.

My experiences above are generalizations from trying the above ammo in 1 Anshutz 64 bolt gun, 2 Savage bolt guns, a Marlin semi auto, Ruger MKII, and a Single Six Bisley.

If your accuracy and reliability needs are low, most of the bulk ammo will "work" at close range for plinking.

Winchester just opened a new "state of the art" rimfire facility in Mississippi and I think the new Winchester bulk .22s are better than they were a couple of years ago.....

Jack Stanley
07-19-2012, 07:07 PM
After firing over six thousand rounds of various types of ammo so far this year ,I can echo what 44Man says . The Winchester long rifle 555 seemed fine so I bought more of that but the magnum fimfire is just about trash . Although it isn't the worst I shot this year , that honor of garbage of the range goes to Armscorp ammo ..... cheap for a reason :sad:

I hadn't bought Federal for over thirty years because of quality control back then . Oddly enough Federal "Champion" now is reliable , very accurate and inexpensive as well . Sometimes it's as accurate as the CCI Blazer , for the price of the Champion and Blazer I'm real happy with them .

Find what works and buy about six cases of it , you won't be disappointed .

Jack

Artful
07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Only that particular gun and Mr. Target know the answer to this question.

Get a box each of 4-10 different ones, depending on how much time you have to spend,
and shoot groups at the range you intend to plink at. Might not make much difference,
but I have found large differences.

Bill

As have I, have groups halved or more by just changing ammo.

And Bill's wise judgement to buy a case of 5000 of what it liked was good also.
- just keep in a cool dry place in a air tight container and you'll be able to use the ammo 20 years from now.
Yes, some of my 22 ammo and primers are actually older than that.

Tokarev
07-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Surprisingly or not, Rem Thunderbolt performed in this gun just as well as CCI Blaser or better.
She did not like CCI Stinger at all.
Next time I might try CCI Standard velocity, which did perform much better than Rem TB in my Marlin rifle.

Mal Paso
07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
The guys that took the Rimfire Silhouette Match yesterday were shooting Aguila ammo. They were also talking about weighing each round...........

TXGunNut
07-22-2012, 06:35 PM
My only .22 revolver seems to prefer higher velocity ammo, it liked Remington Yellowjackets best if I recall. My Ruger MK I seems to think old WW Wildcat ammo is target fodder, only the big $ target ammo from CCI and PMC seemed to edge it out a tiny bit. I suspect revolvers, because of the cylinder gap, will generally prefer hi-velocity ammo over standard or target velocity stuff.

MtGun44
07-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Guessing doesn't get you very far in my experience with selecting .22 ammo. The absolute
most super accurate stuff in one gun can be total junk in another.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
07-23-2012, 05:25 AM
pmc zapper hp used to be my favorite. Its shot great in everything. Anymore the first 22 ammo i try in a gun is blazer. Its good ammo for cheap ammo. Bottom line though is if your looking to find what shoots absouletly best in your gun your going to have to buy an assortment and just start shooting.

**oneshot**
07-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Most all my 22's like CCI Standard velocity and CCI Subsonics for hunting.
My competition guns get fed a steady diet of Wolf match target.

375RUGER
07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
pmc zapper hp used to be my favorite. Its shot great in everything. Anymore the first 22 ammo i try in a gun is blazer. Its good ammo for cheap ammo. Bottom line though is if your looking to find what shoots absouletly best in your gun your going to have to buy an assortment and just start shooting.

I wish the zapper hadn't been discontinued. It was my 22 ammo for many years. Shot as good as the minimags in most of my guns and it was cheaper. Only CCI green tag and Eley shot better.

Blazer is my 22 ammo now.

NoZombies
07-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I use a lot of the fed "auto match" stuff. It's cheap, and has been head and shoulders above the other bulk ammo in all my guns for both reliability and accuracy.

williamwaco
07-24-2012, 09:23 PM
I like the Federal bulk "target"

Inexpensive and accurate.

turtlezx
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
now that pmc zappers are gone. i've seen them up for sale @$9.00 per box !!!
remember buying them for $1.00 per box

in my marlin they would out shoot match ammo costing 3x as much

glad i bought alot !!

Gotta agree with gun 44 every gun is diffent $ doesnt alway matter

buy as many brands as you can find and shoot them off sand bags for the best accuracy
dont move the sights or change anything but the ammo .Compare your group size

TXGunNut
07-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Agreed on the big $ match ammo. 22's don't care, some think promo ammo is match ammo. My 10-22 likes that nasty, misfiring Federal Lightning but I get tired of the misfires.
Cheap ammo has more fliers but it can be pretty awesome sometimes if the gun likes it.

rintinglen
07-27-2012, 03:23 AM
My S&W M-17 prefers 40 grain lead bullets at high, not standard, velocity. CCI minimags work best, but the Remington Thunderbolt and afore mentioned Federal Automatch also shoot well and are much cheaper. Though if ever there was a place where it is accurate to state "YMMV," this is certainly it. I have 6 22 Handguns and 3 22 rifles. No two of them prefer the same ammo.

Tokarev
07-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Oddly or not, I can't hit a barn door with this little revolver.
It shoots 1-2" groups at 10 yards from the bag or sturdy rest, but off hand in either single or double action it sprays all over the target, i.e. my estimate would be a 20" group. Same for my kids.
At the same time all of us shoot tight groups with a 44 Ruger. Go figure, I feel very frustrated.

9.3X62AL
07-29-2012, 07:29 PM
CCI Mini-Mags get the call for my "default" ammo in 22 LR, because they function reliably in my two Steak and Lobster Cotillion Debutante rimfire guns--The SIG Mosquito pistol and the Winchester 290 rifle. This ammo shoots very well in the rest of the Rimfire Herd, too.

I don't think I've tried CCI Blazer in these two Balk-O-Matics listed herein. I do have some CCI SGB to try out, and I should include the Blazers in the test drive sequences. I'm kinda demanding in terms of 22 LR performance--the stuff needs to run in the firearms well, or it gets shot up and NOT REPURCHASED. Mini-Mags have passed muster, but new applicants are always welcome. ESPECIALLY if priced under Mini-Mag tariffs.

The CCI SGBs induced sticker shock, at almost twice the price of MMs. That's close to Eley Tenex country. They better place mushroom clouds on jackrabbits, and shoot into small clusters--or they aren't for long.

Lance Boyle
07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
I keep a few things around;
CCI blazer, it's pretty darned accurate for the price and commonly available and much cleaner and more reliable than thunderbolt, wildcats. I'll not say the same for golden bullet hollow points in bricks. They shoot well and never duds. Buy them in the milk cartons and you get the duds.

CCI SV - it's normally the most accurate non champagne target ammo I can buy. I just make sure I get it from the CCI plant production and avoid the federal ammo with the CCI label. Read up over on rimfire central if you want to learn how to tell the two apart. (lot number format is the key, packaging also)

Oh the Remington Golden Bullet hollow points in the boxes/bricked. I like the hollow points as they seem to actually open up on rabid racoons and such.

different .22's like different things. My S&W kit gun gets some lead on the forcing cone and I've tried some of the copper wash stuff to see if I can minimize that issue. The american eagle (federal) hollow points seem ok but their hollow point doesn't expand.

HDS
07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
CCI and Federal packs of 500 are all I feed my .22lr guns, both standard velocity.