PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load-All???

nicholst55
07-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Pardon me if this subject has been beaten to death; I ran searches and got an internal server error twice, then a laundry list of a whole bunch of stuff - but nothing regarding Lee Load-Alls.

I'll cut to the chase - are they worth buying? I don't plan to load a ton of shotgun stuff, but I would like to have the option of loading my own. I'll mostly be shooting coyotes and maybe an occassional dove.

I've been doing metallic reloading since 1976; I just never had the urge to load for shotguns until recently.

SuperBlazingSabots
07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Hello NicholSt, I have a Mec Grabber, and a Hornady but I still keep using certain operations on my Lee load All. I'll be ordering one in 20 gauge from MidSouth.
Go for it and let the fun begin.
Ajay
VdoMemories-Blazing Sabots
www.Blazing Sabots.com
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

turmech
07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I to started reloading shotgun shells recently after years of metallic reloading. I bought a lee load all and never really got the hang of it before I bought a used MEC Jr in a reloading lot. The MEC has seemed to be easier for me to learn on. I see the MEC loaders for sale used quite a lot and they cost nearly the same as a new Lee.

If I had it to do over again I would skip buying the lee in the first place.

I also just bought an adjustable shot/powder charge bar for the MEC and this made all the difference for me as it made the process of loading the shot shell more like reloading metallic cases. I never could get comfortable with buying and changing bushings which in my limited experience never dropped the weights they were suppose to.

geargnasher
07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Watching with interest, I have the same question and had the same poor luck finding *useful* answers. I've always heard that the Load-Alls were complete junk, but that comes from MEC owners. I'd like to know it it's the old "Lee vs. Dillon" thing or if the Load-Alls can be made to work for light-duty stuff. I've loaded and cast for metallic for 20 years myself and loaded my first shotgun shells this week with a Lee Loader. Works great for small volume, but I cheat and use my Ammomaster press with a universal decapping die body plus a stack of 45 boolits taped together for the primer seating with the Lee seater punch and just the die body and Lee plunger for wad seating and crimp. If a Load-All is a step up I'm interested, no way could I justify a MEC for what I do.

Gear

Hamish
07-17-2012, 08:54 PM
In 8th grade I traded some skin mags I found for a sawed off pistol gripped 16ga. bolt action with all the stuff and a Load-All. It worked *just* fine. Several fellows on here claim to carry them to the field when camping. Not something I would want to do with the Jr.

turmech
07-17-2012, 10:25 PM
The lee cost around $60.00 new and a MEC Jr seems to sell used for $50.00 to $75.00 used at least around my parts (last reloading search on craigslist had several).

I have both on my bench and still am experimenting with both. All I can say is I get better consistent results particularly with crimps on the MEC. The MEC is built well and seems pretty indestructible. The lee I am sure will last if you take care of it but it is plastic.

Most of my reloading equipment is Lee so I am no Lee hater.

hatcreek
07-17-2012, 11:18 PM
I have both a 12 and 20 ga load all, love em, i load mainly slugs but have on occasion loaded shot, they work great for me. good luck HC46113

singleshot
07-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Gents, I've been loading for my shotgunning with a Lee Loader for about 3 years, I don't shoot skeet or trap anymore, so fairly light use. I've been very happy with my $45 investment and would recommend the extra $10 for the prime feeder. It's no Caddy, but it gets the job done and is cheap enough to have 1 for each bore. I've been loading alot of buckshot lately, but it's worked for everything I needed it for. If I got into trap and skeet again, I'm not sure whether I'd just buy a few more and get my kids reloading with me or go with a MEC.

Bottom line, I've been happy with mine and have no complaints, especially considering the cost involved.

I looked at a few used MECs recently and they were far more expensive or they were missing parts. I really don't see how you can go wrong with the Lee Load-all. It's kinda like having a turret press for loading metallic carts.

Fishman
07-18-2012, 07:22 AM
I've loaded with both, and while the Mec is clearly superior, the Lee will make fine ammo. It was all I had when I started and I even loaded steel duck loads on it. I loaded many hundreds before it broke at the pivot while crimping a steel 3". It would have lasted forever just loading the occasional box of lead loads. Now that I have my Mec 600jr, I would not want to go back to the Lee. I should note that with either press, the steel shot is added in an off-press operation since it won't run through the charge bars/bushings.

nicholst55
07-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Okay guys, thanks for the input. I figured that it would work for a limited quantity of reloading, which is about all I would ever use it for. I don't shoot skeet, trap, or sporting clays, so I won't be loading huge quantities. I figure that if I load ten boxes of ammo a year, that will be a lot. It's just me shooting now, since both my sons are married and live on the other side of the country. They both make more money than I do anyway, so let 'em buy their own ammo! :wink:

I've been watching for a good deal on a MEC, but just haven't seen anything lately that I cared to buy. Everything I've seen recently seems to have been used long and hard, and put up wet - repeatedly!

I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a Mec, but if I don't find what I need I'll probably try the Lee. I want to load for both 12 and 20 gauge, so I might end up with one of each.

Moonie
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
I started loading for 12 guage many years ago with a MEC, great machines. I got away from reloading and guns/shooting for many years, when I started back I got the Lee as I'm not loading many and couldn't justify the cost. I don't know where turmech is getting his but they are not that much. I load mild skeet loads for the wife and slugs for the sons on mine, works very well.

geargnasher
07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Good info, guys, thanks.

Gear

UNIQUEDOT
07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
I use both MEC and Lee and like both. The MEC is without question the better loader, but the Lee is better for loading new hulls and for loading slugs since you can run a slug in the wad through the wad guide on the load all without damaging the slug.

375RUGER
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I had a 12ga and sold it recently, it's what I started shotgun loading with and the it's main most purpose was 3" duck and goose loads.
I purchased a "looks new" 20 ga when my boys were younger so they could load for their 20s.

I had inconsistent results with crimping on 12ga. Some of the crimps would come undone. Didn't have that much problem with the 20ga.
I think if you use a quality hull like AA or the Goldmedal, etc. you will get decent crimps. Most problems arise from reuse of the cheapo hulls. And so what if one gets messed up, they are cheap and you can salvage the components.

I also have a MEC 600 Jr. and a 650. the 650 is clearly a superior machine but then there are some out there that are better yet, like the Spolar. I can't really say about loading on the 600 since I haven't yet. my plan is to use it as my speciality loader i.e. buckshot and non-toxic, and the 650 can concentrate on dove, quail, and crow loads.
I've never had a crimp come undone that I loaded on the 650.

High volume the MEC650 is definately the way to go. For occasional loading the LoadAll is a good machine, good value and will make a quality shell.

turmech
07-18-2012, 05:31 PM
OK I was a little off in my price of a new lee being $60 it is more like 52 @ grafs and 53 @ cabelas.

There are a couple of Mec selling locally for the amount I stated. In fact one guy on craigslist has 4 mec loaders ad says all 12 gauge for $120(not sure if he knows what he has) Pics of the four don't show pristine machines but look useable. A guy had one for sale in the swapping section not that long ago I think I remember it selling for $75. Gunbroker has a nice looking one now starting bid is $75 and a one WELL used looking for $50

I guess my point is IMO I would look for a good use MEC if I was not in a hurry for a shot shell loader.

Might just be me but with slugs I have an opposite result than uniqedot. I can't master how much force to apply to the slug/wad when seating them this gives me unrepeatable results with the MEC there is a scale which show wad pressure which allows me to load slugs uniformly. Slugs on right loaded on the MEC slug on the left Lee. The lee does do better on new Hull than the Mec. The Lee does come with shot and powder bushing (but mine were way off).

Marvin S
07-18-2012, 06:47 PM
The old load all with the metal base is better than the new plastic one by far. I consider the so called primer feeder on the new one to be dangerous as my new one blew up the other day and I have no intention of replacing it. I will just put one primer in at a time. No im not a LEE hater either but the load all II is not as good as the original load all.

Gee_Wizz01
07-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I have one of the metal base Load All's that I took in a trade. I wanted it to load buckshot for occasional use. It made perfectly serviceable ammo. It is not as easy to use as a MEC 600JR and it takes some experimenting to get the knack of using it. If you are just loading a few boxes it works well enough. It is a pain to empty the hoppers of shot and powder, as they are one single piece, and you have turn the whole reloader upside down to empty and you have to get a piece of cardboard or plywood to cover half the hopper to prevent emptying the shot and powder at the same time. I also do not like using the resizing ring. You slide the ring over the case and pull the handle, which forces the sizing ring over the brass base. Then you put a primer in the cup and set the shell and ring over the primer cup and pull the lever, which pushes the resizing ring up for removal. Marvin S is correct, the metal based is a much sturdier reloader than the new Load All II which has the plastic 'base. If you are sure you are not going to get more involved in shotshell reloading you will probably happy with a Load All. A couple of thoughts, a Load All doesn't have much resale value and the aluminum base models have not been made in years. I am a Pacific/Hornady fan and I like the old Pacific DL-155 reloader as they are cast iron and machined steel, and can be picked up for around $50 or less used. They are easier to adjust and easier to use. There is nothing wrong with Mec's and the 600JR's can be had for $50 to 75 used in excellent condition. I lend my Lee out to friends who think they might be interested in reloading. It usually comes back in a few months or a year when the friends upgrade to a MEC or Hornady. I hope this helps.

G

mtgrs737
07-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Lee Loadalls work fine, I have had one in 12 and 20 ga. and I like the fact that you get all the bushings that you will ever need with the unit. They are perfect for starting/low volume loaders like what you appear to be. If you do get serious or need higher volumes of shotshells then a MEC is the best way to go. I have sold my Lees and now have MEC 600jrs. in 12 and 20 and have them equipted with auto primer feeds and universal (adjustable) powder/shot bars so I can dial in any load exsactly. For the guy who wants to load a box or two a week the Lees are perfect, and you need buy only componets to get started. I would suggest that you also have a powder scale to check your drops as powder and loading technique cause variation. You might also do a price check on componets to see how much you can save by loading your own if you are planning to load to save money, with the price of lead shot that can be a tough row to hoe.

JeffinNZ
07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I have just parted with my Lee Load all after many years of service. I was given a MEC 600 JNR. The Lee press is OK but as mentioned, the crimp isn't up to much. I used to load at home and then run my rounds through a MEC at the club to given them a decent crimp. I like the MEC much better. Hardly anyone loads shotshell here now so folks are literally giving hulls, wads, presses away. Suits me fine.

plainsman456
07-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I have one for the 20,16 and 12 gauge.
They will do a pretty good job,like you want to do.That said I wished that the crimp would be a little better.I guess if one does not use Federal hulls is gets the job done.

In full honesty I do own a mec in 12 gauge and if I had the funds I would buy in the others,till then I use the Lee for birdshot and buckshot.

smkummer
07-23-2012, 09:49 PM
The Mec is a better machine by far. With the Lee, you have a sizing ring that has to be used on the next hull, its slower than the Mec. But be careful when buying a used mec, it can be so old that the shot/powder bushing is fixed, then you have to buy that $12 part so has to use bushing for the powder. The crimp start was also chanded and it is better than the old, again another $12 or so fix. The bottes will get brittle with time and may need to be changed as they can crack after 40 or so more years. So the old machines are able to be updated, but it can run some money. If you find yourself loading alot, the primer feed ($40) is worth it.

UNIQUEDOT
07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
The crimp start was also chanded and it is better than the old

Depends on what crimp starters you're talking about. The best mec crimp starters are the old starters that are brass and housed in a steel ring so they self align. The old six points were non self aligning. The new mec plastic crimp starters are as close to pure junk in comparison as to be near worthless as they wear out and don't start crimps nearly as nicely as the old indestructible starters do. The mecs with those junky plastic final crimp dies don't even come close to loading nicely tapered shells as the old steel die presses do. I would only suggest an older mec to people. If none can be found it's time to pay a little more for a ponsness warren. With any mec the best thing a serious shotgunner can acquire for them is the multi scale charge bar which does away with the need to have any bars or bushings on hand.

singleshot
07-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents on the Lee crimp. Is it persnickety? Yes! Can you learn to make perfect crimps with it? Yes. If you change hulls, powder, wad, or shot loads you have to "relearn" the crimp. Sometimes, you have to wiggle the hull into the right orientation to get the perfect crimp when changing variables. (The Lee instructions deal with how to do this.) No, it's not perfect, and not as good overall as some other shotshell reloaders, but for the low-volume loader it's a good value. Midwayusa.com has them for $48 and you can sometimes find them at 10% discount. 10 boxes of buckshot or slug loads (50 rounds) will pay for it.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
I have had a Hornady 366 for forever, it seems. That said, if I loaded about a hundred rounds a year, I would go with the Lee. It is a dandy for buckshot, as was stated here.

Rich

jlchucker
07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I started with the Lee Load All in 12 ga, and as time went by, I got the 16 and 20. The 12 worked fine with the old style AA compression-formed hulls. When Winchester changed their AA to the gray version, I was never able to load with decent quality again. Nowadays, I have only two loaders--Both MEC 600's, 12 and 16 ga. The big advantage here is that the crimp settings for the MEC units are adjustable. With the Lee, what you get is what you got, and that makes it less easy to deal with changes in hulls, wads, loads etc. I don't know about you other guys, but around here, bags of shot are so expensive that many gunshops don't stock it. At my club, most guys just buy trap and skeet loads at club prices. I don't hunt waterfowl, so I can't speak to loads that would be used on ducks, geese, etc.

0verkill
07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
That's funny, I always felt it was easier to switch brands of hulls on the LEE versus the MEC. Just goes to show that everbody's technique is a little different.

MBTcustom
07-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Last year, I decided to get into loading shotshells. I forget exactly how it happened, but I ended up getting a message from Milkman stating that he had a MEC650 that he would sell me, along with some various other press stuff. I have treated Milkman extremely well in some other deals, and I guess he was trying to even the score because when I got to his house, he had not one but two MEC650s, a Lee loadall, five Texans with two huge boxes of parts, an old C&H, and a partridge in a pear tree, that he sold me for a ridiculously low price. Upon getting home and setting them out in the living room (much like a kid with his G.I. Joe's) I commenced to try to get the hang of them without the aid of any manuals. The Lee was the one that I had heard about, but it was missing some parts, so I set it aside with the rest of them and started with the better quality MEC650. I got it going in short order. I was loading slugs, and I quickly found out that the powder and shot bar was virtually useless. I made a special funnel for the powder tube, and loaded the shells with Lee dippers.
I soon ditched the good MEC and modified the worse one for my purposes. I removed everything that didn't need to be there, and found that I enjoyed the living heck out of loading shells this way, and the rest is history.
The LEE was junk in comparison. Rickety and yeah it would do the job, but the difference in quality was in direct proportion to the cost. I thru it in the trash can.
I gave the good MEC650 to a friend with the extra charge bar from the one I kept.
I stored the Texans in the attic with the boxes of parts and bushings for future use if I get a 16, 20, 28, or 410 gauge shotgun.
I have cranked out many a slug load with the modified MEC650 and I have to say, it is one of those machines that has the "feel". Its not quite as nice as the Posness-Warren, but it is much more versatile, small, light, and easy to use. So that's my recommendation. Buy a MEC in any condition you can get it in. Even if it is without the charge bar, you can use the Lee dippers for the powder, and make one for shot, and just rock and roll. I like the quality of the crimp that the MEC produces more than any other press I have ever used including the P/W.
Nothing but love for the MEC presses, and I can speak as someone who has used most of the presses that have been made in the last 75 years!

UNIQUEDOT
07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
I like the quality of the crimp that the MEC produces more than any other press I have ever used including the P/W.

You must have the older mecs with all steel dies. My old sizemaster makes better looking crimps than a ponsness warren too. It adds the perfect taper also with no need for a separate taper crimp die, but the old or new mecs definitely wont crimp a new hull as pretty as the load all will. The newer mecs with the plastic junk on them won't even crimp a used hull any prettier than the Lee, but it will at least lock the crimp in which is only doable on the Lee if the load is as perfect as a factory fill and then the depth can never be adjusted with the Lee. With some loads i like a deeper crimp so as to raise pressure and get a cleaner burn.

UNIQUEDOT
07-25-2012, 06:27 PM
That's funny, I always felt it was easier to switch brands of hulls on the LEE versus the MEC. Just goes to show that everbody's technique is a little different.

Yes technique is a big part of peoples problems with any of the older non adjustable loaders including the Lee. If a shotgunner would put more thought in his loads rather than just looking through the manuals and picking loads based on their published performance he would have no problems with any proven tool regardless of design. When using the loaders like the Lee a shotshell load should be chosen for the hull based on a perfect fill just like the factories do it. A mec will turn an imperfectly loaded shotshell into a good looking serviceable load and the Lee will leave you with just what you started with...an improperly loaded shotshell.

MBTcustom
07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
My MEC must definitely be the old style. The dies are crome plated steel, and very nice. I like how I can "feel" the crimp happening as it is applied.

Yes technique is a big part of peoples problems with any of the older non adjustable loaders including the Lee. If a shotgunner would put more thought in his loads rather than just looking through the manuals and picking loads based on their published performance he would have no problems with any proven tool regardless of design. When using the loaders like the Lee a shotshell load should be chosen for the hull based on a perfect fill just like the factories do it. A mec will turn an imperfectly loaded shotshell into a good looking serviceable load and the Lee will leave you with just what you started with...an improperly loaded shotshell.
There is much wisdom in your words. The best press in the world cannot make the perfect shotshell if the components don't stack up right. and really, it doesn't take much to make a good shotshell. Just look at the old shotgun Lee loaders. Very effective with minimal tools. I would love to get a close look at one of those units so that I can reproduce it for my own use. I love the idea of having a Lee loader for shotshells!

UNIQUEDOT
07-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Just look at the old shotgun Lee loaders. Very effective with minimal tools. I would love to get a close look at one of those units so that I can reproduce it for my own use. I love the idea of having a Lee loader for shotshells!

I used to have a complete duplicate collection of the Lee shotshell loaders, but I've sold them all off except a couple of very early ones that i decided to keep in my collection as they are not only the pat. pending models, but the boxes are in great condition as well. I do however give them a little loading time on occasion. If you'd like to use one of mine to make yourself one just let me know.

MBTcustom
07-26-2012, 06:37 AM
I might just take you up on that.