PDA

View Full Version : The Good Idea Fairy Visited Me

Hamish
07-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Okay, I'll admit that most of my ideas are a solution looking for a problem. On a fairly regular basis I read a quote that say's "Sometimes you have to ignore the Good Idea Fairy".

All righty then:

Everybody know's what a Poly choke is right? Device on the end of a shotgun barrel that when twisted changes the inside diameter of the choke to suit the pattern wanted for a particular situation.

Goofy idea:

A pan lubing tool that is adjustable so that it could be used for extracting more than one size of boolit from the lube cake. An adjustable cake cutter.

Just a thought.

Elkins45
07-17-2012, 05:37 PM
I can't think of a suitable mechanism that could adjust over the range I would need: .308 to .458. The fingered collet style mechanism of the Poly Choke wouldn't work. A more workable idea is a nice handle/bullet reservoir with interchangeable cutter tubes for each diameter.

BTW I love your sig line. OBummer and the govt can take credit for your success---so who is responsible if your business fails? Let me guess: GW Bush!

OLPDon
07-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Outstanding!!!!! Building a better mouse trap. I do hope pictures will follow soon. A one size fits all Cake Cutter.......
Perhaps stackable size cutters that fit in a tube.
Don

1Shirt
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Seems like a "much to do about nothing" idea to me. I made my cake cutters out of old cases with the heads cut off with a hack saw. Simple, efficient, cheap!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Hamish
07-17-2012, 06:07 PM
That's just it, I don't have a firm idea yet. The idea of long, straight, tapered triangular fingers sticking out of a handle with some kind of constriction mechanism, whether by rotation or a sliding ring??

I'm getting a picture of something like the working of a twist ball point pen, but I get headaches caused by damage in my neck and it makes it tough to hang on to the muse.

Grump
07-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Headache time:

Gaps when the fingers are open,

or

ridges in the lube if they overlap like a camera diaphragm...minimized to acceptable levels by using strong steel like foil-type electrical razors and tapering down to almost nothing on that vertical edge???

It's a good idea, worth looking into. There's gotta be a way to make it work.

Elkins45
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Headache time:

Gaps when the fingers are open,

or

ridges in the lube if they overlap like a camera diaphragm...minimized to acceptable levels by using strong steel like foil-type electrical razors and tapering down to almost nothing on that vertical edge???

It's a good idea, worth looking into. There's gotta be a way to make it work.

Can it be made cost effectively? Who wants a $99 cake cutter?

paul h
07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Basically a mini version of this?

http://www.jhmbuttco.com/acatalog/ak6406.jpg

The challenge is that a lube cutter should be as thin as possible, and you'd have a bunch of bulk where you wouldn't want it.

I'd say a set of std fixed dia lube cutters is the way to go.

L Ross
07-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Why does everyone want a cake cutter? I just push my pan lubed bullets out of the cake backwards and have perfectly filled lube grooves.

Duke