PDA

View Full Version : Recycler joy!

Freightman
07-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I had my 21 year old air conditioner give up the ghost at the first of the month, had to have another new one installed. The boss of the job ask if I wanted to keep the old one and take it apart and sell it, he said it cost him more than it was worth in labor to do it and would just have to pay to take it to the dump.
I took it apart not expecting much took about an hour, loaded it up and off to the recyclers. Went and they unloaded all the buckets and compressor and I went to the office to get my money where I had to sign a form that I owned the unit. Well after the paper work I got the money and was surprised at the amount $101 and a few cents. Think I am going to call the refrigeration man and tell him I will haul off all his old units.

Jim
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I see quite a few 'refer' guys at the recycler. Your friend might tell you "Thanks, but I'll take care of it."

Freightman
07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Doesn't hurt to ask! and he did say it cost him money to do it.

ErikO
07-17-2012, 01:26 PM
At the recycler near me, they'll happily trade lead for steel.

I have a dead washing machine that needs to get over there. I hope to do this on Saturday.

mold maker
07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been junkin for recycle metals for over 6 years since the last trip. Last time they showed me the diff in price for totally segregated and half done. Boy, I'm gonna make sure it's right this time. First trip I got $581. for a big trailer load ,and my truck. This time it's only half as much, but I'll get more from it, because of the new prices. I just dread loading it, and making the trip.

JeffinNZ
07-17-2012, 06:32 PM
One man's junk....

I have a big old sack of range brass to go to the scrap dealer in a week or two. It will buy some primers or such.

We are having a new heat pump put in at home soon. The original copper tubing will need to be replaced as the new unit is larger. I will NOT be allowing the installer to remove any of THAT.

Chicken Thief
07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Dont know 'bout NZ and USA but here Refs cost up to @$200/kilo to buy and they get $75-80/kilo when they return it dirty for refurbishment!!!
So what they suck out is $$$$$ also!