PDA

View Full Version : LAM2 questions

Silverboolit
07-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Hi... Just pickedup a used LAM2, and it was nasty!! Had a greenish-blue sticky lube all over it. So, I decided it needed a little TLC.
I disassembled it and proceeded to squeeze all of the old lube from the resovoir and promptly lost the pusher as it runs off from the drive rod. After finally fishing out the washer?, it is time to clean off the gunk.
Looked all over for a pot big enough to boil it out ( thanks for the great idea), I finally decided that I could use a plastic pail that I had. Went into the kitchen and retrieved a cooking pot from the wife. Then proceeded to go the the BBQ and use the side burner to bring up a pot of water to a boil.
I have never used the side burner on the grill before. It would not work. I tried for 15 minutes and no luck. Tried the main burners, no luck eiither. Now I have a BBQ to fix also.
Went and put the pot of water on the hot plate that I use for casting. After 20 min. I had hot water and poured it in the pail with the lubesizer and other parts in it.
Plastic pails, heavy cast iron parts and boiling water do not mix very well. The pail did last and the old lube did flow to the top and was skimmed off.
I went to pick up the pail with the parts in it and return it to the man cave. I now have a pail in 2 parts. The top 1/3 with the handle attached came with me, the lower 2/3 with the parts in it decided to stay on the ground.
I did get it all cleaned up and have a few questions, if you don't mind.
A...What lube should I try? Use will be .39/,357 and .45 ACP. Lower velocity and would like to get by without a heater.
B... Anyone try to put a pin or locknut on the pressure screw shaft that pushes the plate down to keep it from falling off?
I appreciate all of the help that I have recieved on this forum from the best on the net.

Maven
07-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Silverboolit, Pinning the locknut/washer on the LAM-2 is a great idea, but it hadn't occurred to me to try it...yet. As for which lube to try, look at LsStuff.com at the bottom of your screen.

C.F.Plinker
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
A...What lube should I try? Use will be .39/,357 and .45 ACP. Lower velocity and would like to get by without a heater.

B... Anyone try to put a pin or locknut on the pressure screw shaft that pushes the plate down to keep it from falling off?

A. Javalina, BAC, or 50/50 (beeswax/Alox) will work fine for those calibers and shouldn't require a heater.

B. Some have put a short length of 3/4 inch pvc pipe in the bottom so the plate can't come off.

Silverboolit
07-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Update... I used LsStuff's recomendation on lubes, so am all set up.
As to the idea of drilling and installing a pin on the bottom of the screw... I did it! It works great, when the washer gets to the bottom of the screw, the whole plate just spins on the screw. It lets you know that you are out of lube as none will come out.
I use a 1/8"x3/4" split pin from Lowes. Just used a nut on the bottom of the screw so I could keep the hole centered on lthe screw and drilled through the nut and screw at the same time. Removed nult, installed the washer and pushed the pin into lthe hole.

Thanks for all the input.

Lance Boyle
07-29-2012, 10:12 PM
When I got my used lube a matic I turned the oven on low (180 ish) and coverd a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil and let the brown goo melt out. (alox?)

I removed the rubber handle and the lid first.

I removed the pan and luber and poured any remaining oil out of the machine into the foiled pan. Wipe the luber off with paper towls and tooth brush with some ed's red. When the alox like stuff cooled/hardened I tossed it in the rubbish with nothing on the cookie sheet.

My whole motivation for the low and slow bake was I didn't want to get that crud on a stock pot.