PDA

View Full Version : Replace Stock for Springfield 03

Boyscout
07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
I was just given a Springfield 03. Does anyone know of a source for original or origninal style stocks and hardware. Unfortnately, the stock on this rifle was "sporterized."

alleyoop
07-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Looking for something like this ?
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-1903-Springfield-s/50.htm

07-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I just finished an entire '03-A3 sporter-to-military project. While I found an excellent value on an ebay stock, forend, and some hardware, I found Sarco to have the best pricing and availability on the remaining items I needed. Check with any local gunsmiths, Numrich and Springfield Sporters, as well. I suspect that any company's in-stock inventory on these kinds of items varies quite a bit.

If you go the ebay route, know well in advance the prices of all the items you'll be needing and be very patient.

Jack Stanley
07-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Not to long ago someone posted a picture of a very nich stock they got from Numrich . It looked like a very well made stock and had some figure too .

Jack

m.chalmers
07-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Cheaper at the CMP:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/stocksets.htm#1903SStockSet

Or go to a fun show.

Gtek
07-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Northridge International Inc. in CA has original new- (no inspector marks) $185 or so. All flavors. Gtek

leadman
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Go to the CMP website, under sales there is a forum with parts for sale. Also check with DuPage Trading as they deal in these.

Boyscout
07-17-2012, 08:00 PM
The rifle is marked as follows: U.S. Remington
Model 1903

Most of what I read said that they made at Springfield and Rock Island with no mention of Remington. I checked out some of the websites and will start saving for a new stock.

Gtek
07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Reminton and Smith Corona manufactured the WWll supply. Springfield was making parts and a rebuild facility and was producing the .30 cal M1 Garand. Early had screws, late had pins. Went 1903 to 1903M to 03-A3. Gtek

Buckshot
07-22-2012, 02:53 AM
The rifle is marked as follows: U.S. Remington
Model 1903

Most of what I read said that they made at Springfield and Rock Island with no mention of Remington. I checked out some of the websites and will start saving for a new stock.

.............Remington got stored machinery from Rock Island, and assorted tooling. Additional stored tooling came from Springfield. Remingtom built original type (and marked theirs) 1903, then to aid production began making shortcuts/eliminating unnecessary machining steps. Eventually made major changes using many stamped assemblies and pieces like the triggerguard, bands, nose band, sling swivels, etc. It became, due to the number of changes (especially with the rear sight) the 1903A3.

................Buckshot

gnoahhh
07-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Those CMP stocks indeed look nice. I would buy one. If mounting one on a pre-war Springfield/Rock Island '03, they look like they would need a lot of sanding to give them that svelte pre-war look. If going on a wartime 'hurry up and get them out the door' rifle, then the clumpy looking stocks are just right the way they are.

I'm seeing a lot of "Scant C" style '03 stocks these days. Is someone making them again? I always thought they were fugly- neither fish nor fowl- but they did help make manufacturing more efficient back then, I suppose. I don't understand why someone would deliberately put one on a rifle if a neater Type C or Type S stock set were available (unless strict historical accuracy were the aim).