PDA

View Full Version : First shots through my mauser

melw
05-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I got out last weekend and shot my Mauser. I have owned this rifle for over 20 years and never shot it. I had the local gunsmith safety check it and he gave it a clean bill of health.
I had a box of factory reloads and a box of factory ammo. I also loaded some cast boolets to try. I shot the reloads first and found out that the rifle shot to the left. Way to the left! Looked at the sights and the front sight was pushed all the way to the right!:o
I was able to hold to the right and hit the target. I asked my friend if he would like to try it and he was able to hit the gong at 200 yards. I also was able to do it when I figured out the hold off. I have to admit I quite liked the factory reloads. They had 154 Gr. PP jacked bullets. I switched to the new ammo. This was 175 Gr. SP I had got these when I fist got the rifle. The 175 Gr. were not as nice to shoot. They were painful! My shoulder is still sore.
I had loaded some of the boolets I cast to try different loads. We ran out of time to do the load testing but I did have two rounds that I loaded after I bumped the scale. I checked and the charge was well below max so rather then pull them I just shot them. My friend said he would go with me to the local range and do a load test on paper targets. We were at a private range and the wind was picking up. So we saved the cast ones for later.
All and all we shot it enough that the cosmoline was starting to come out of the stock.
Mel W.

Ricochet
05-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Well, The Beatles had one thing right: Happiness is a warm gun! :mrgreen: