PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP with SPM Primers

eagle-man
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I have been using mostly large pistol primers for loading 45 ACP. I am using a 200gr SWC bullet with 5.0 gr of titegroup. I have a bunch of CCI 500 and CCI 550 primers. does anyone know the changes that I would encounter if I use the same load with small primer brass? What would the differences be between small primers and magnum small primers?

Thanks!!

JohnnyFlake
07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Titegroup is a very fast burning powder, so I would think that the difference in primers will not even be noticeable.

coyotemoon
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I have some 45 with small primers pockets, really cant tell the difference between the two.

eagle-man
08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Does anyone have any experience that they can share about the specifics? I am particularly interested in loads with a CCI 550 primer using a fast burning powder. If you have any knowledge to share, or experiences, let me know.

Thank you!

bobthenailer
08-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I have used 45 ACP loads that were orgionaly worked up with Fed LPP primers [ A MID RANGE LOAD ] and cast 200 gr bullets and came upon a large quanity of Fed LPM primers at a really good price!
So i tried them with everything being the same and accuracy was within 1/4" difference at 25 yards for 25 shot groups from a bench with a red dot sight.
Really each gun & componets are different but if you work up the load using your chosen primer and keep a eye on the load development, it will probly be ok

Shiloh
08-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I have some 45 with small primers pockets, really cant tell the difference between the two.

Until you run them through a progressive press set up for LP primers, then it is obvious.
When you jam a decapping punch in an undersize hole, it chinks up the works.

Shiloh

singleshot
08-06-2012, 07:26 PM
I've been substituting SRPs (and appropriate brass) with LPPs using the same load data otherwise. I use all mid-range loads. My 1911, my hand, and my target can't tell the difference.

HighHook
08-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Until you run them through a progressive press set up for LP primers, then it is obvious.
When you jam a decapping punch in an undersize hole, it chinks up the works.

Shiloh

I have many cus-words with those little guys.