PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing

fatelk
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I went out shooting with a friend a couple days ago; hadn't been in quite a while. One of the guns I shot was a CZ82 (9mm Mak). I loaded it up with my Lee RN cast rounds and fired off one magazine of 12 rounds. It wasn't particularly accurate but I figured I must be way out of practice.

It wasn't until later when we picked up all our brass that I realized what I had done. I started finding seriously bulged .380 brass. I had also brought along my little Taurus .380 and a bag of Lee RN cast ammo for it. I guess now I know that .380 ammo can be fired in a 9mm Makarov, feed, cycle, and hit the target if it's close enough. I'm usually quite careful about such things, just wasn't watching close enough. :oops:

W.R.Buchanan
07-16-2012, 02:34 PM
There was some High mucky muck politician in WA state that got shot by a .380 from a Mak. It also had an FAC aftermarket barrel in it and I know this because the FBI came to my shop and asked if they could do a Ballistic Check on MY Mak which had the aftermarket barrel.

I told them it wouldn't fire .380's, and so no they couldn't have it.

I immediately called FAC and asked them ***? They had given their sales records to the FBI! At first they wouldn't talk to me about what was going on, but eventually I got them to tell me the story.

Then I went home and tried it. Single loading with the muzzle down it won't fire. Muzzle up it will fire! and when fed off the magazine it works just fine.

I took the gun to them the next day with the stipulation that they would supply me with two fired cases and bullets from their test.

They agreed.

I have a friend that had the same barrel as me and I told him the story. It took the FBI 2 years to get to him, but they did.

The amount of time and resources expended on this investigation is rediculous !

They never found the guy who shot the Politician.

Don't you wish life was always like this?

Randy

Salmoneye
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
There was some High mucky muck politician in WA state that got shot by a .380 from a Mak. It also had an FAC aftermarket barrel in it and I know this because the FBI came to my shop and asked if they could do a Ballistic Check on MY Mak which had the aftermarket barrel.

I told them it wouldn't fire .380's, and so no they couldn't have it.

I immediately called FAC and asked them ***? They had given their sales records to the FBI! At first they wouldn't talk to me about what was going on, but eventually I got them to tell me the story.

Then I went home and tried it. Single loading with the muzzle down it won't fire. Muzzle up it will fire! and when fed off the magazine it works just fine.

I took the gun to them the next day with the stipulation that they would supply me with two fired cases and bullets from their test.

They agreed.

I have a friend that had the same barrel as me and I told him the story. It took the FBI 2 years to get to him, but they did.

The amount of time and resources expended on this investigation is rediculous !

They never found the guy who shot the Politician.

Don't you wish life was always like this?

Randy

Interesting story...

Scary, but interesting...

W.R.Buchanan
07-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, My butt was a little puckered while talking to the FBI guys. They will tell you exactly NOTHING. I had to extract the story from FAC who didn't want to talk to me either.

When I told them I'd spread their name around on the internet as being totally uncooperative they finally spilled the beans.

Still when the FBI can figure out that an undersized bullet was fired thru an aftermarket barrel and then obtain the sales records for all of those barrels, it pretty much means they have access to every gun transaction that is above board.

That is definately the scary part.

Randy