PDA

View Full Version : Favorite powder measure

Stick_man
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
I am just wondering what everybody's favorite powder measure is. I had one that was very consistent and metered virtually all powders quite well, but unfortunately it grew feet and ran away one day with the Lee Turret press it was mounted next to. I am looking to replace it with a new one but don't remember what make it was.

What brand would you recommend and why? I am loading primarily handgun loads but do also load rifles.

Thanks for all responses.

Reverend Recoil
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
The RCBS Uniflow has worked well for me since 1977. For stick powder such as IMR 4064 I prefer the Lee Perfect Measure.

r1kk1
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
JDS Quickmeasure. Ball, flake or stick it doesn't matter. Can't say enough of JDS. someone says is a belding & mull but not for sure on it. I also very much like the RCBS charge master.

Take care

r1kk1

jcwit
07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Lee Perfect Powder Measure. The leaking powder problem is an easy fix.

For those that think there is no reason sometimes a new item does not need to be tweeked have never purchased a new auto and had to return it ti the dealership for warranty work in the first week. I've done it with new Camaro's, Corvett's & V/W's.

There I opened the can, let the bashing begin.

Junior1942
07-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Lyman 55.

r1kk1
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
For those that think there is no reason sometimes a new item does not need to be tweeked have never purchased a new auto and had to return it ti the dealership for warranty work in the first week. I've done it with new Camaro's, Corvett's &

Wow JC what rotten luck. Luckily my wife and I haven't had those issues. My wife and have owned five new vehicles since 2000. No warranty issues to speak of. We have had two Chevy trucks, a mercury hybrid suv (still have it), a ford focus and two ford trucks only one which is new.

Wow. What rotten luck.

r1kk1

frnkeore
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
My vote is for the Redding powder measure. In your case with the pistol measuring insert. I collect powder meaures and have most of them. I've tested some of them against each other, the B&M will out proform it with large kernal powders but, with a lot of care and it's very slow. My personal favorite for accuracy indoors is the old Lachmiller. It came out the most accurate of all my drum type measures but, the back is open and for that reason, I can't use it at the shooting bench.

Frank

frnkeore
07-16-2012, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=jcwit;1778744]Lee Perfect Powder Measure. The leaking powder problem is an easy fix.

QUOTE]

I wish that I would have known that. I almost gave mine away for that very reason.

Frank

geargnasher
07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Lee Pro Autodisk. Don't laugh, it's true. I'm planning to get a Perfect to replace my *** Uniflow.

Gear

Chicken Thief
07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Had/has a Lee PPM for 25yrs. It leaks now due to wear but meters true!
Got a Lyman 55 as a gift and it is way better/easier to use, but only does the same job, no more no less!
Still uses the Lee way more as it is easier to use/adjust.

gwpercle
07-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I've only had one...Lyman 55

Started in 1967 , scale and measure were purchased soon after press and dies.
I'm still using the 55 , just as accurate as the day I bought it. No problems.

Gary

A pause for the COZ
07-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Ok I will pop in my Opinion.... You know what they say about opinions.. I have one of those too.:bigsmyl2:

In my fairly recent experience with powder measures. I unfortunately have not found one measure that does it all.

Believe it or not the most reliably accurate measure I have is a LEE PPM. It did not come that way though. It took a lot of work to figure out how IT wanted to drop powder and you must do it that way every time or you will pay the price.
It works fine with Ball powder, stick powder and I even have it dropping Unique well.
With the PPM you mileage may vary, as a matter of fact it took me two of them before I figured it out. So if you get one and scream at it. Its not my fault.
But I wont trade this one for any measure in trade now.

My favorite measure is my two RCBS Uni-Flows. I shoot lots and lots of flake powders like Unique and herco. Oh and Blue dot. I love that it can drop 6 gr of Unique on my progressive to less than 1 20th of a grain variance.
One stays permanently attached to the progressive and the other I use for low volume work on the turret or single stage.
I do not use the Uniflow for stick powders like 3031 ect.
It cuts that stuff bad.

I also have a LEE powder disk pro measure. If you expect better that 1 full grain variance in flake powder. RUN A WAY! Dont even try it with Unique. You will just pull your hair out.
Ball powder. Yea it does a great job on my bullseye 45acp loads. and the adjustable charge bar is great with my 223 H335 loads.

I decided to just have more than one and use them for what they do best.

I have not used the Hornady or the Lyman 55 so cant comment on those.

Danderdude
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
As with all Lee stuff, they are cheap, they need some tweaking, but once you do that tweaking they work, and work, and work.

The second powder I ever ran through my Lee PPM was H110, a super-fine ball powder, and where I found out I had a leaking problem. I disassembled it, cleaned it, made a slurry of agricultural graphite powder and acetone, and wiped that on all the bearing surfaces. The acetone opens the pores of the plastic to accept the graphite, and when put back together, it was smooth, accurate to .1gr per 25gr and no more leaks. With the Lee Universal Charging Die it's a great measure for a progressive. The only thing I need to look into is modifying it to work with a turret press, which shouldn't be hard to rig up.

The Pro Autodisk also works, and well. Get the Adjustable Micrometer Charge Bar for everything from pistols to .223/7.62x39, and the Double Disk Kit for rifles. You WILL need the Riser and the Rifle Charging Die. It can be set up for bottom-stroke reset with a progressive, or spring-loaded reset with a single stage or turret. The disks are cheap enough that you don't have to worry about modifying one if you need to, and they can be bored out quite a ways. I gave mine the graphite treatment last night and it improved repeatability remarkably.

Just remember, Lee-skeptics: If you want all the spit and polish done at the manufacturer's shop, you end up paying far, far more for it.

Char-Gar
07-16-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a pair of Hollywood measures and a Lyman 55. I have had Redding and RCBS, but never liked them near as well as the Hollywood.

07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I've experience with only two, a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and a Lyman 55. The Lee, while it works well with stick powders, leaks ball powders and has been retired to the odds and ends box. The 55 has never leaked so much as a kernel of any type of powder, and meters stick powder almost as easily as the Lee.

brassrat
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I was using an old Lyman 55 and trickling up (or down) for .223. I never trusted it. My newly found B+M is trusted. It's much quicker. My other powder drops were exact, but I will settle for the 1/20gr. or so variance that I get now. The drops often are right on. :grin:

fstreed
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM
I have several. My first was a Redding, bought used in the early 1970s, still in use. Bought a pair of RCBS uniflows used for a good price soon after that, keep one with the small rotor and one with the large. Also have a Hornady rotory and like it a lot. I have one of the old Lyman small accu-measures that takes the bushings, kind of like the RCBS little dandy. I have a Hornady pistol measure, the one with the sliding bar that takes bushings, it is accurate and gets a lot of use. Then there is my old Lachmiller rotary, heavy and solid, it dumps the powder into an open hopper and from there into the cartridge. Then there is my Belding and Mull, which I think is probably my favorite. At some point I need to get a Lyman 55 just to try it, I've never had one. The only measure I ever bought that I didn't like was the Lee PPM. I have never had one, but would like to try one of the Lee auto disk measures at some point.

Some work better than others for some powders and charges, some are easier to adjust, I like having a variety. Oh, I almost forgot my Lee dipper set, which gets a surprising amount of use.

Kilroy08
07-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I like my late '70s vintage Uniflow II. Even with Unique, it will keep throwing charges spot on. The hardest part of setting it up was getting the spiders out. Dad bought it new in 1977 and never used it.

btroj
07-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I use my Lyman 55 for small charges of powder and a Harrels measure for thing oer 18 gr or so.

I have an RCBS, just don't care much for it.

smokeywolf
07-16-2012, 08:47 PM
My Hollywood Gun Shop has served well for nearly 60 years but, I'm kinda looking at getting a Belding & Mull for the stick powders.

smokeywolf

rmcc
07-16-2012, 08:48 PM
(2) Belding & Mull. One micrometer tube, 1 straight tube. Most accurate repetetive measure I have ever used.

Rich

Bullfrog
07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Without a doubt, Lyman #55

Kraschenbirn
07-16-2012, 09:26 PM
'Nother Belding & Mull guy here. Over the years I've owned and/or used 'bout everything out there at one time or another and have yet to find anything that equals my old B&M for rifle cartridges. On the other hand, for handgun rounds, I've had good results with both factory Dillon measures and with the Lee Autodisc.

Bill

Montana Ron
07-16-2012, 09:43 PM
I wrote a article about accuracy with different scales several years ago as Lynwood Harrel sent me a scale to use and if it was as he said then I had to send him a check, if I didn't like it I was to send it back...........I used ball C powder and IMR 4831 as these were a good test as to see
how course pencil and EZ ball worked...........I had my B&M, my RCBS,my Lyman 55 and the Harrel........... I used a Ohaus 10-10 scale solely for the whole test and after 3 days of measuring powder I ended up beleive it or not with the Harrel as most accurate, the Lyman 55 as #2 the B&M as #3 and the RCBS trailed the pack.............150 dops of ball powder and 150 drops of pencil powder each..........the grading was determined by deviation as the constant loading of powder results in consistent pressure or accuracy if all other components are the same............I would not have thought the old clunky 55 was going to place #2 but
after sitting on my *** for three days the numbers don't lie...........I sold the RCBS and then
the B&M and sent Lynwood a check for his press and ended up buying their Schutzen measure as they claimed it was MORE accurate then the bigger one but I still got my Lyman 55 and still use it for ball powder where it really shines..............Ron Oates/Montana Outfitters

afish4570
07-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I use the 55 Lyman for small charges of pistol powder, hard to adjust quickly so I leave both of them set for my Unique and Bullseye or #5 Accurate charges. For rifle I use my Redding #3. Had them for 20 plus years and my B &M since '68. Don't use the B & M very often. All perform acceptably. afish4570. :cbpour:

tonyjones
07-16-2012, 11:54 PM
For rifle I prefer the Neil Jones Custom Products measure and for pistol/revolver I like the Harrel's Precision Schuetzen/Pistol powder measure.

Tony

Kevin Rohrer
07-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Although I really like my two Quick-Measures, my B&M clone goes the most workout and is my goto measure.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0752.jpg

HARRYMPOPE
07-17-2012, 01:51 AM
I have a pair of Hollywood measures and a Lyman 55. I have had Redding and RCBS, but never liked them near as well as the Hollywood.

Hollywood measure micrometer all the way for me too.

George

novalty
07-17-2012, 08:48 AM
I've been very happy with the accuracy of throws from my RCBS Uniflow for pistol loading.

rda72927
07-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Lyman 55

seagiant
07-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi
SAECO...nuff said!

44Vaquero
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I own 3 Lee Pro Autodisk's and a Lyman 55. I tossed the Hornady in the trash years ago it never was very consistent, the new ones may be better, I don't know.

Kent Fowler
07-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Best: Redding 3BR

Worst: A brand new Texan measure I bought in 1970 when I was pretty much broke. Cost me $18.75 Thing completely seized up when I ran some IMR 4227 through it. Metering drum was soft aluminum and couldn't handle the extruded powder.

bc1
07-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Hi. So what are the fixes for the Lee Perfect Powder Measure besides the graphite mentioned earlier? Also for the newbie here, what is the difference between ball, flake, and stick powder and how do you tell the difference? Is one better than the other? Thanks.

Wayne Smith
07-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I was trusting my Lyman 55 until I got overcharges in a couple of rounds - found out that Unique was binding in the drop tube, not releasing for some and dumping close to double charges on others. Still have some bullets to pull. Did some testing - every measure I have tends to let Unique bind in the drop tube except the B&M. It is now my go to measure.

joec
07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
I've been using either the Lee Auto Disk with the Pro conversion kit or the full Pro model depending on what it priced at when I bought them. I load on 3 rounds basically 9mm, 45 acp and 45 colt. I've had no problems with any of them even using black powder with them. I have found though that Lee's suggestions for the size of the disk tend to be a bit on the light side so I tend to add one size to it and then weigh it. Usually perfect then. Just an observation based on the 3 I own personally. I've also had no leaking issues I've seen mentioned either.

John Boy
07-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Have the following measures:
* Lyman No 5 - w/ micrometer
* Lyman No 55 - w/micrometer
* Belding & Mull
* O'Haus Duo Measure
* Lee Perfect Powder Measure - 2 ea
I shoot primarily BP. So the plastic Lee not needing drum cleaning plus accuracy is my Go To!

Accuracy? Here's a test I did back in 2006 ... http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037

frnkeore
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Here is most of the different kinds that I have in my collection. Not pictured is the RCBS Little Dandy and Lachmiller fixed rotor measures. I only have one of the many Herters but, I have most of the Redding, Ideal/ Lyman and Lachmiller variations. There are a lot more to collect but, the only ones that I really want that I don't have is the Ideal #1 and the late tapered drum Hollywood. Anyone have either of those to sell?

Frank

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_8852500721239d16d.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5944)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_8852500721692e0de.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5945)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_8852500721843c00e.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5946)

ROCKET
07-19-2012, 12:40 AM
i really like my Lyman 55.

Horace
07-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Been using a rcbs since 1981 until got a brown colored redding.And will not go back to the rcbs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

HDS
07-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Lee Pro Autodisk. Don't laugh, it's true. I'm planning to get a Perfect to replace my *** Uniflow.

Gear

I dunno I am glad to be rid of the autodisk measure. I find the Dillon 650's bog-standard measure meters vihtavuori powder more accurately than it ever did for me, It holds true for all three quick change kits I have.

FUBAR 6
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Tie-- Saeco, Hollywood shot measure

Next in line-- B&M, Harrell's

Walt
07-20-2012, 04:41 PM
It's the Redding BR-30 for me.

bbqncigars
07-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Ohaus Duo for pistol, Hornady on the AP and one for the big gun. The B&M for my little 45-70 single shot rifles and any load of SR4759.

Wal'
07-23-2012, 03:46 AM
RCBS Uniflow since the eighties.

H.Callahan
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
RCBS Uniflow since the eighties.
Ditto, except since the late sixties. It has "just worked". Been using the large chamber for everything until recently. Bought a small cylinder for pistol use from a member here and am liking it even better now.

Plus with RCBS service (I mentioned to them that my hopper was getting a bit hazy and wanted to know if it was possible to remove it for cleaning and they sent me a brand new hopper, no charge!), I haven't found an overriding reason to change. I've tried several others -- some worked about as well, some were a lot worse -- but nothing really was better than the Uniflow.

Elkins45
07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a Uniflow (since mid-80's), a pair of Auto Disks and a Lyman 55 that I picked up at an estate sale a couple of years ago.

I use the Uniflow for rifle, the #55 for pistol and the Auto Disks for anything I load on the Lee turret or Pro 1000. The Lees have an annoying habit of dribbling ball powders, but that accuracy is generally OK. The others seem a bit more consistent.

For large loads of IMR stick powders I think you need a measure like the Uniflow with steel mating surfaces to shear the grains. Others may not agree.

jimkim
07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
My favorite is my Uniflow. The most consistent is my PPM.

I've enjoyed looking up the measures mentioned. This is a really good site for getting a peek at the guts. http://55project.com/photo-arch.html

FergusonTO35
07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I have a Lee PPM and Autodisk, they work quite well for their low cost. I'm planning to get and RCBS or Redding soon with the micrometer adjustment. The mic adjustment on the Lee is just too hard for me to see.

jlchucker
07-28-2012, 09:21 AM
The RCBS Uniflow has worked well for me since 1977. For stick powder such as IMR 4064 I prefer the Lee Perfect Measure.

Same here. I haven't done it yet but I've been thinking about getting a couple more Lee Perfects to set up permanently, dedicated to favorite loads for a couple of favorite firearms. They don't cost much and work pretty darned consistentlyl once set up. For everything else I'll stick with the RCBS Uniflow.

popper
07-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Gear - you have the pistol rotor for the uniflow? Mine has rifle and is not quick change. Can't get the old rotor now.

FergusonTO35
07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Popper: Midway had the small drum for the Uniflow in stock when I checked a few days ago, as well as the small micrometer adjustment screw. The RCBS part number for the drum is 9004, the number for the adjustment screw is 98901. I've been looking for these accessories because I just bought a gently used Uniflow myself.

This weekend I finally got to try out my new Pro Auto Disk with the adjustable cavity accessory (birthday present for myself). The fixed cavities of this new unit don't throw the same charges that the cavities of my old Safety Disk throw, the'yre on average .6 grains heavier with Accurate #5. Its just as consistent though. The adjustable cavity is awesome, the 3.6 setting delivers my pet .38 Special load of 5.7 grains every time.

The only problem is I now gotta undo several years of muscle memory. I'm not used to flaring the case mouth and charging in one operation. I keep putting a boolit in the case and putting it back into the shell holder to seat it even though the flaring die and Auto Disk are still in the press!!

fstreed
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
My favorite is my Uniflow. The most consistent is my PPM.

I've enjoyed looking up the measures mentioned. This is a really good site for getting a peek at the guts. http://55project.com/photo-arch.html

Nice link. I now know that my Lachmiller is from the mid '50s through early '60s. My Redding Master, 1st generation, is probably early '60s. I have had the Redding since around 1972 or 73.

If I was in the market for a new powder measure, which I am not, I think I would be very tempted by the Hornady Lock and Load measure, with an extra pistol rotor. The extra metering assemblies are reasonably priced and it seems like it would be very convenient to just change the metering assy instead of resetting a micrometer or changing a bushing.

H.Callahan
07-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Popper: Midway had the small drum for the Uniflow in stock when I checked a few days ago, as well as the small micrometer adjustment screw. The RCBS part number for the drum is 9004, the number for the adjustment screw is 98901. They are also available directly from RCBS, as well.

abunaitoo
08-02-2012, 03:54 AM
I've been using an old Pacific tube type. Kind of like a B&M without the spring return. Works well, but kind of slow.
Also using an old Midway drum type. I think it's a Redding or RCBS relabled as a Midway. Works well with all powders.

popper
08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
RCBS want $65 + shipping for parts to convert to QC large and small. Just thought if someone had a small rotor unit to get rid of I would have one for pistol and one for rifle, no changing needed.

FergusonTO35
08-02-2012, 08:36 PM
You can buy a new Quick Change measure for $82.00 around here. I was enthusiastic about the Quick Change until I found out the micrometer screw is not available for it.

John Guedry
08-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Have a Lyman 55 and a Redding (not sure which one). They both work well.

John Boy
08-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Here is most of the different kinds that I have in my collection.
Frank, you have more chargers than my wife has shoes! Nice collection :drinks:

Moondawg
08-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I have four different measures. They all work well, but the best all round measure and most accurate of all is my Harrell Premium "Culver" measure. If I could only have one measure for ever and ever it would be the Harrell. My Hensler conversion on a Lyman 55 is super accurate, and can be zero ed to the particular powder, but its range is limited to approximately 5gr - 35gr depending on particular powder. My old RCBS measure and much newer Hornady measure are failrly accurate and adjustments are simple, but they lack the overall accuracy of the Harrell, drop tubes for them are more expensive, and they do not come set up to take bottles and/or one pound powder containers such as the Hodgen style.

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I like my duo's; an ohaus and an rcbs, couple of mulls on the side.
If I bought a new one now it would probably be a redding br
Always thought the bonanza BR looked interesting but never used one.

bowhunter
12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
57100 i use 3 rcbs two old grey ones and one new green one i bought about 25 years ago. and 2 belding&mulls

RCE1
12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I use the RCBS Chargemaster digital powder measure for almost everything these days. Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet in this thread. It works really well with the Lee CC Turret when you mount a funnel in the powder measure space. While I'm seating bullets and prepping the next case, the Chargemaster's just whirring away. When I'm ready for the next charge, just grab the pan, dump it in the funnel and "on to the next one".

1Shirt
12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
A toss up between the Redding and the RCBS.
1Shirt!

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 07:45 AM

This measure meters quite well, I've seen where it was said they had one that was off
almost a grain, working at it I don't think I could make this throw that big of a spread
in fact with some powder it's dead on checking every dozen or so. Even with notsogood
metering powder you'd be looking at about .3th spread. (Mileage varies.)

bpratl
01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
I use the RCBS Chargemaster digital powder measure for almost everything these days. Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet in this thread. It works really well with the Lee CC Turret when you mount a funnel in the powder measure space. While I'm seating bullets and prepping the next case, the Chargemaster's just whirring away. When I'm ready for the next charge, just grab the pan, dump it in the funnel and "on to the next one".

I love my Chargemaster for Rifle reloads but I stopped using it for pistol because it is too slow. The problem is that it starts off on slow trickle mode with settings of 5 grains or less in spite of many software changes. I do use its digital scale to setup and recheckig powder drops from my manual powder measure. If anyone has some good reprogram numbers or hardware changes, for small charges, please let me know. Bob

gunoil
01-01-2013, 01:17 PM
lees work great, i just go over areas where any powder would contact with #2 pencil.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-01-2013, 02:56 PM
I don't know for sure how many powder mearsures I have without counting. I know I have five #55, six Reddings, three Hollywoods, two B&M, two RCBS, one CH, one Barrie Darr schutzen measure and some other quick change pistol measures. I like to adjust a measure for one charge of one powder and put masking tape on the hopper with the setting written on it. I hate resetting measures. My favorites are the Reddings. The#55 have too many adjustments. The B#M are accurate but slow to use. Any of the mearsures are accurate with ball powder. Any of them will miss with long stick powder. If you are using Bullseye, get a small quick change such as the RCBS. I have been reloading over fifty years and I have never loaded a single round without weighing the powder charge. I will never trust a progressive machine. I have tried some and found them wanting. My opinion and I will stick with it. If you dissagree with me I don't really care. I am too old to change now.

RCE1
01-01-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't load that much pistol ammunition. When I do, I usually use a Harrell Schutzen measure I've had for a long time. Still use that in conjunction with the Lee CC Turret press.

I love my Chargemaster for Rifle reloads but I stopped using it for pistol because it is too slow. The problem is that it starts off on slow trickle mode with settings of 5 grains or less in spite of many software changes. I do use its digital scale to setup and recheckig powder drops from my manual powder measure. If anyone has some good reprogram numbers or hardware changes, for small charges, please let me know. Bob

Crashbox
01-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Ditto here- I bought a 1500 because I had issues with my Hornady powder measures being inconsistent with Herco for cast .357 rounds. However, I took one apart and *lightly* dressed up the drum chamber edge with a fine ceramic stone and that seemed to help a lot. The '1500 was just too slow for handgun reloading.

I now use the Chargemaster 1500 for rifle exclusively, and it is the cat's pajamas for it. My three Hornady measures work very well for the handgun powders I regularly shoot, Unique not being one of them...

o6Patient
01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
A toss up between the Redding and the RCBS.
1Shirt!

that's what I've observed- both good measures.

drklynoon
01-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I've had no luck with a PPM. Mine does not leak powder but it does not drop a complete charge. I have polished and graphited it to no avail. If I tap on it when I charge it and then tap again when I release it it works alright but my fingers get sore after 200 rounds. I primarily use a Lyman 55 and have been pleased with it. Mine does not have a baffle but is relatively consistent. Like most powder measures it takes some technique to learn how to set it so it will stay there and consistent action is paramount. The drop tube has clogged up with unique once or twice but I am pretty careful so it isn't a real problem. Now with trail boss it is a real pain I have to use the knocker or I have to be really aggressive with my down stroke. Without the baffle aggressive action tends to make inconsistent throws so I may open up the drop tube some and install a baffle. Once these corrections are made I think this measure will be as good as it gets. I hope this helps, oh and the poster looking for PPM tips I believe there is a thread or two over the subject. Try the search.

gunoil
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Lee auto disk LCTP and pro auto disk on LLM. Work great for my 380/9/40/45's. I just use a #2 pencil over area's that contac powder and rails too! I use pencil on alot of stuff.

r1kk1
01-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I didn't have much luck with the PPM either. Dillon measures have been good for unique, blue dot and of course ball. I use the JDS QM for any powder. RCBS chargemaster is great for working up loads. I just use a dryer sheet when cleaning them out and the press is solid to the bench. This helps keep charges consistent when using press mounted measures.

I like trying different powders in the JDS. 3031, 800x, etc. I can't say enough good about it.

Take care,

r1kk1

Ziptar
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Lyman Acculine Pistol Powder Measure! I am on the hunt for an Ohaus Du-O-Measure for rifle reloading thought.

abunaitoo
01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
I load mostly rifle. For pistol I use Lee disc.
After I did some modifications to my old Lyman Autoscale, it's all I now use.
It's like a mechanical RCBS digital. Simple and nothing to go wrong.
Exact charge every time.

zuke
01-06-2013, 09:23 AM
LEE perfect powder measure for me.

Jim
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
..... I bought another powder measure..my Wifyello asked me a couple
of complicated questions that has taken some throat clearing and a bit of stuttering.

First Question: How many powder measures do you have? (Yeah right out of the blue...
Second Question: How many powder measures do you need? ( put a guy right on the spot...

Ask her the same two questions about her shoes and handbags.

By the way, I showed this to Janet. She said "What's wrong with having something just 'cause ya' want it?"

Wis. Tom
01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
My wife is just opposite. She has warned me in the past about things that will happen, but I don't always listen(pride, stubborn, man thing, won't go there), but a couple of months ago, she told me I should go get alot more primers and powder, but I thought I had a pretty good supply, so just picked up a couple pounds and 2k of extra primers. Boy was I wrong on that one. When you step back and look at your stocked supplies, it's looks smaller when you think in terms of,"will I ever be able to get anymore?" Just a thought, but someday, you never know. Reminder to me, I need to listen to my wife, when she says, buy something for reloading. LOL

o6Patient
01-12-2013, 12:55 PM
My problem has been: they are all my favorite.
(as long as they are mechanical and built well)

TNsailorman
01-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I have an old version of the Redding powder measure, a RCBS Uniflow, a RCBS electronic powder measure/scale combo, and a Lyman M-5 scale(2 at the moment). I use these in tandum to each other with every charge weighed/throwed and then double checked by a scale. It doesn't matter which measure or scale is used for the original charge, it will always be double checked by one of the scales before being dumped into a case. Overkill, probably, but I have never had a squib load or had to beat a bolt open but one time and I learned my lesson. Everybody has to decide how far he goes with his safety measures though. I have seen what can happen at the range more than once from fellow reloaders who seem to be more interested in speed than getting it right. I would never advise anyone to use a powder measure (especially loads at or near maximum pressure) without a scale to at least check an occassional charge to see if the measure is throwing consistantly. The above measures and scales have always worked well for me and I don't have experience with others, so I can't speak for them. The Redding and RCBS Uniflow both throw most charge fairly consistant as long as the powder envolve ball powder or smaller grain powder. The stick powders are another animal(depending on the stick length and thickness), they do tend to bridge and are harder to operate the measure as smooth and evenly for top notch accuracy in the charge weight. my experience anyway, james

march41
01-12-2013, 08:56 PM
i have had good results with RCBS uni-flow with 4759 and 5744 less than 1/10 variance.also the lee auto disc works well ww231 types powders for handguns.