PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Lead Remover

hunter64
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I recently bought a Lewis Lead Remover from a guy at a gun show. He says he never used it and to me it looks new. The box is marked .38 CAL and it also came with two other boxes marked .44 and .45. All the boxes have brass mesh screens, a cone shaped deal and a jig that has a piece of rubber on it with a tightening ring and a small brass bent rod. I suppose you use the T-handle and put a brass round patch over the jig or the cone (depending on what you are doing) and thread the T-Handle onto the jig thru the brass patch and you are supposed to pull it thru the barrel/cylinder. For the life of me I can't figure out how on earth you could pull this jig thru the barrel with the patch on it. If you take the jig without a brass patch on it put it in the barrel it just barely fits, there is no way on earth that a brass patch on there would ever fit in the barrel and I have tried all sorts of things and I can't figure out for the life of me how to use this thing. Anyone have one of these things that could shed some light on how to use it? Thanks.

jhalcott
05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I> HAD< to get one when I started shooting my 44SBH and store bought cast bullets. As I remember it I did what you described and pulled the screen thru the barrel.. Maybe you have the wrong size rubber end on the thing.

afrance
05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Brownell's has the instructions at http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/General/DisplayPDF.aspx?f=Inst-591LewisLeadRemover.pdf

You will need Adobe Reader to view it.

hunter64
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks afrance, I think my problem was the 1 and 1/2 turns on the knob out from the end of the rubber and the rubber itself is very hard. I think I will soak the .38 one in some oil over night and try tomarrow and see what happens.

Ron
05-03-2007, 02:25 AM
I thought the Lewis Lead remover was only for use in forcing cones, at least that is all I have seen it used for. I can't think of any way to drag that cone shaped piece of rubber through a barrel.

Mallard57
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Actually it's been a while since I've used mine but it does go through the barrel, works pretty well too. Mine has an aluminum cone shaped piece for doing just forcing cones, that one doesn't go through the barrel. That being said, I've been using strands off a copper dish scrubber wrapped around a bore brush to remove lead lately.
Jeff

9.3X62AL
05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
My Lewis Lead Remover is a Hoppe's version, and is similar to the unit described by Mallard 57--the tapered/cone fitting is for forcing cones, while the rubber-grommetted fitting is for bores. I haven't used mine for a while, either. Well-fitted boolits make the LLR retire early.

Paladin 56
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
hunter64,

It may be too late, but you might want to think about soaking the rubber in oil. Most rubber (unless it's nitril) will swell up a lot, (as in almost double in size) and become so soft it will tear apart when you try to use it. Just a thought.

KCSO
05-03-2007, 11:57 AM
The tube shaped rubber with the tightening nut pulls through the barrel. For the first few used DON"t tighten it at all, leave the screw loose. As you use it and the rubber deforms then tighten it. The cone shaped piece will clean a STANDARD forcing cone, but if you have an 11 degree you need to have an 11 degree tool made. I use a LLR and the brass patch with some bore paste on it to polish the forcing cone. If your cone is clean and polished plumb smooth leading will really be a thing of the past.

GP100man
05-03-2007, 10:34 PM
i do like mallard57 does just wrap some chore boy all copper scrub pad around an old brush with your favorite solvent & a few passes later, lead be gone, & im done cleaning , it will also cut out the carbon ring in the cyl when shooting the shorter special cartridges too!!!

GP100man

johnho
05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
The one for the 38 works great. the one for the 45 would never pull through even when the cone was replaced. Just too big.