PDA

View Full Version : Zack off grounding

Olevern
07-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Received a call from Z last evening telling me that he was officially off grounding as of Sun. Morning, so told him I would pick him up after church today.

Arrived a bit later than I thought I would as church went a bit over this morning.

Z had his fishing gear laid out on the porch and came running down the proch steps wilding waving his arm at me (as if I didn't know what porch to stop at).

Z was excited to see me as I havn't seen him since he was grounded last Wed.

At that time his parents told him that he was grounded for a "couple" of days, but didn't give him back all his priviledges until this morning (Sunday).

Sounds like more than a couple of days to me and I will again have a discussion with the parents regarding the need to set a fair punishment appropriate to the violation and keep to it (when the punishment is over, it is done...no more talking about it or reminding about the infraction) And not to give indeterminate sentences, name a specific number of days or hours, depending on the situation, then stick to it.

We will work on that.

I did have a converation with Z in the truck on the way to the lake about using me as a sounding board when he is upset about the disagreements his parents have been having. I told him to call me in situations where he is frustrated and upset and just ask me if I can come over. If I can, I will. If I cannot we will talk on the phone about coping skills to avoid getting himself into trouble.

Z agreed to try it (we will see if he is able to in the midst of a situation) Often his reaction is to do something inappropriate to take his parents focus off each other and their disagreement and onto the need to deal with him. We talked about letting adults take care of adult business and his need to stay out of it and let them work it out.

We will have follow up conversations

Anyway, with the weather forcast calling for scattered thunderstorms, didn't bring the aluminum boat toady but fished from the shore.

Z had a good time even 'though we had several minor showers (he stayed out and fished, I took shelter in the truck).. He got pretty wet and ended up taking off his shirt 'cause it was wet and sticking to him, but he didn't come inside. I think he thought that if he came into the truck with me I would want to leave.

Finally, the third shower became a downpour and he gave up and joined me in the truck. We waited about ten minutes while listening to the NASCAR race on the radio and when it showed no signs of letting up, we headed out for his house. It was pouring for about twenty minutes (w/lightning and thunder) but it cleared before we arrived at Z's home. There he asked me if I would stay and watch him ride the dirtbike so after he geared up I sat on his porch and watched him try to splash every bit of water out of every puddle in his driveway.

All in all spent about three and a half hours with Z today. Oh; Z caught seven fish fishing between the raindrops.

x101airborne
07-15-2012, 08:33 PM
That is great. Thanks for being a positive force in his life.

EMC45
07-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Those boys will always remember the times they had fishing and shooting.

DCP
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Just a thought
These are minors you show pictures of and give names a details

As a school bus diver I cant even tell another Driver what happens on my bus.
Let alone give out names.

Lots of privacy laws.

Again just a thought

Olevern
07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Just a thought
These are minors you show pictures of and give names a details

As a school bus diver I cant even tell another Driver what happens on my bus.
Let alone give out names.

Lots of privacy laws.

Again just a thought

Privacy laws do not apply to private citizens, as I understand it. You are correct, you, as a person who works in a school related position, must follow privacy laws. For what it's worth, Z's mom is aware of these posts and herself posts the pics I take on her facebook.

That being said, if I could think of any way someone who would want to harm these boys could find them without last names or addresses/towns I would not be posting the pics on the forum. I do not post last names, addresses or towns for safety reasons.

Z and the others I mentor are very special to me and I would not knowingly expose them to any reasonable risk.

I must admit to an ulterior motive in posting these views into my mentoring activities; that is I had hoped (and do hope) to encourage others to engage at-risk youth in a mentoring relationship by showing others how rewarding and fun it can be.

Again, please enlighten me if these posts pose a risk to the boys (my grandson included)

If I am just being naive, please let me know how someone could use the sparse info provided to find and harm the boys and I will pull the pics, I admit I am not the smartest pencil in the box concerning the web.

Olevern
07-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Upon reflection, I have decided to conclude these posts regarding my mentoring activities. Just the thought that some person with harm on their minds might come across these posts and attempt to track down the boys I have invested much of my life in (even 'though I don't believe I have provided enough info for a predator to find them) is enough to cause me distress of mind.

None of the boys I mentor live in the town I live in, I have provided no last names or towns (and most live at least forty-five miles from me) but the seed of worry has been planted.

Therefore, I am taking the precaution of deleting the photos at the storage site and the first names from the posts.

There will be no more updates, but know that my efforts on their behafs continue.

I encourage all who read this to engage a boy at risk in a mentoring relationship and change a life.

tryNto
07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
I for 1 will be Sorry to see these go by the wayside, Enjoyed the Posts very much.
Keep up the good work.