PDA

View Full Version : Model 29 cylinder problem

fatelk
07-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Fixed!

I like S&W model 29's, always have. I've also known for some time that you know when you are loading them too hot when the cylinder catch "bounces" and the hammer falls on a fired cylinder on the next shot. For many years I thought something was wrong with my gun, then I read that this was a common problem that S&W fixed on the newer ones. I also found where you can get a stronger aftermarket spring that will help.

I don't like real hot loads, but I do like to load them to the upper end of safe and sane. I don't shoot a lot of the stiff loads but the occasional cylinder problem in annoying when I do, so I called Wolff Gunsprings and ordered some extra-power springs. I finally got out to the range yesterday to try them out. I shot a bunch of my almost-Elmer-Keith-level magnum loads; no cylinder problems, no double-dented primers, no trouble at all! I wish I had bought these springs a long time ago.

x101airborne
07-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Congrats!
When I was trying the postal shillouette thing, my model 29 had crane issues and alignment issues several times. It was at S&W almost as much as it was on the range. And NO..... I wasn't loading hot. Just shooting the heck out of it. I went to the Ruger after that. It is a trade off, but the redhawk has only gone back to the factory once and that was MY fault.

fatelk
07-15-2012, 09:52 PM
I have heard that the Ruger is a much more durable gun. I like the feel and balance of the model 29 and have three of them, but I don't shoot them a lot either- a few hundred rounds per year combined.

Wally
07-15-2012, 10:15 PM
I have a Ruger Superblackhawk and a Model 29...have had that happen to mine as well. If you open it up and lube it a bit it takes care of the problem. I cleaned mine first with a Brake Clean spray--let it dry and applied sparingly some lubricant...works fine now.

44deerslayer
07-16-2012, 07:09 AM
I have a 29-2 that the cylinder opens on hot loads it opens spins backwards then closes I shot two deer this way sent it back to smith years ago never did it a again

44man
07-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Fixed!

I like S&W model 29's, always have. I've also known for some time that you know when you are loading them too hot when the cylinder catch "bounces" and the hammer falls on a fired cylinder on the next shot. For many years I thought something was wrong with my gun, then I read that this was a common problem that S&W fixed on the newer ones. I also found where you can get a stronger aftermarket spring that will help.

I don't like real hot loads, but I do like to load them to the upper end of safe and sane. I don't shoot a lot of the stiff loads but the occasional cylinder problem in annoying when I do, so I called Wolff Gunsprings and ordered some extra-power springs. I finally got out to the range yesterday to try them out. I shot a bunch of my almost-Elmer-Keith-level magnum loads; no cylinder problems, no double-dented primers, no trouble at all! I wish I had bought these springs a long time ago.
Not fixed entirely. Even the X Frame has doubled. It is only springs. I really believe it is the spring supplier and not the gun. The gun needs certain springs due to design and are easily fixed.