PDA

View Full Version : 416 Taylor with lighter loads

Nobade
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
After finding out what my 416 Taylor is capable of on top, and deciding I really didn't need to do that much damage to my shoulder, I started working on finding a good reduced load for it. Yesterday I found two that worked very well. I am still shooting the same boolit, the RCBS 350gr. C.Sharps BPCR boolit that I size the .411 and patch to .417. I found that IMR3031 with cream 'o' wheat on top worked very well at 2000 fps, putting 10 shots into one big splat on our hanging steel at 150M. Recoil about like a full loaded 30-06 with 200gr. bullets, stout but not painful. Then I tried some of my new Swiss SP210 (IMR4198 eq.) at 1700 fps with pillow fluff on top. I didn't think it would shoot, but it surprised me. At 200M it shot 10 into a palm sized group, with very light recoil about like a full loaded 30-30. Very nice! That load did leave streaks of grey in the bore so the fluff didn't protect the boolit base like the COW does but it cleaned up easily and never threw a flier.

I cut the patches on these boolits a bit short so there was almost nothing wrapping over the boolit base. I didn't think that would work very well either but it again surprised me. I do think the chamber design of this rifle makes PP accuracy easier than it might otherwise be though, it has a very long parallel section so the boolit is almost breech seated. There is only .150" in the case and so it can't help but be aligned with the bore. This, combined with a patched diameter that is a light press fit into the throat, seems to allow it to work well with things that otherwise wouldn't allow decent accuracy.

barrabruce
07-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks I like the description.
Do you full wrap down the the bore diameter with the paper on the nose..or just to the orgave start?

Does it engrave the lead on the nose on the rifling start or just the paper or butt up to the end of the throat.
Just curious.

If it kicks like me 30-30 with 180's @ 2100fps then you must have about a 12 pound rifle 'cos mines about near on 7lb all dressed out. :)

Then again anything is seems mild after shooting a few rounds out of one of them Elephant guns.

Good to hear its working well for you.

Food for thought.
I could get into big game shooting cheap as you can get near new guns after the big white hunter finds out they tend to kill both ends. Only fired 50 rounds!!!! :)

Every one needs at least one totally ridiculously large rifle

Barra

Nobade
07-15-2012, 02:51 PM
The nose on these BPCR boolits is only .400", so it doesn't touch anything at all. I start the patch just in front of the driving bands, and try to go around the base so there is a round spot of lead left showing. This time I was a bit short, so most of the base showed.

I seat them so the paper engraves hard into the rifling. The nose is just along for the ride, it's short enough that it doesn't seem to have any problems with slump. (though come to think of it, that may be where the leading came from.) On my full power loads I had been patching over the break in the ogive, though even with the patch on it doesn't touch the bore.

The whole thing weighs 8.2 lbs with the scope installed. I wish it was around 10lb, but I haven't gotten around to weighting it yet. Of course if I don't shoot it much at full power that isn't required and it's a lot easier to carry.

I have been on the lookout for a Weatherby Deluxe in 416 or 460 for cheap, I hear lots of stories about big guns for sale with a half box of ammo. But I never seem to find them! Being a cast boolit shooter allows me to shoot pretty much any caliber I want at whatever recoil level I desire for cheap, so I am always on the lookout for something interesting. I do have a 470 Capstick reamer and have been toying with the idea of building one of those some day. Not that it is all that better or different from anything else but I don't know anyone else who has one and it'd be a laugh shooting the easily available 475 pistol bullets for varmints!

Hardcast416taylor
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
I`ve been experimenting with PP .40 cal. bullets that weigh in the 300 to 325 gr. range. I`m using a Lyman and a RCBS mould so I have several weights. I wrap just over the bearing bands and under the base to almost cover it with 20# copier paper wet wrap. I then size .417" with a custom made push thru sizer with a light wipe of JPW. Thus far using "J" bullet loads for Barnes and Speer bullets I am getting excellent results. I haven`t done any "plinker" loads work as of yet, having too much of a fun time with these.Robert

nanuk
07-19-2012, 05:57 PM
I bought a 416Rigby barrel for a mauser that I thought one day, if I ever learn to use a lathe, to chop the chamber off, and stub it into a Handi rifle.

I figure the most readily available brass that would work is the 303Brit, shortened and necked to 416. Something along the lines of a 416 whisper

303Guy
07-20-2012, 06:00 AM
the 303Brit, shortened and necked to 416.That sounds interesting. To you have a sketch or drawing of the cartridge? I cut off a case at the shoulder and it looked like a carbine cartridge in the making.

nanuk
07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
303Guy, no... just in my minds eye.

if I'm gonna stub a barrel, it will have to be something close to a pistol round for something easy shooting and miserly on powder.

I'd think something along the lines of 1.75" total length, max, which would pretty much be a slightly tapered case

I need to research this more, but my goal would be something like the AM41-340K between 1600-1700 fps for a short range thumper. perhaps something a bit lighter

this is mostly in my head, but I would hope it is doable on a shorter case with the base diameter near the Brit, mostly due to cost of brass... the 444Marlin would work also I guess.

these are just some of the thoughts that roll through my head working night shift

Cactus Farmer
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Contact Hardcast416taylor. He's working on a 416 Russian Express. It's a 7.62x54R necked up to 416. Some shooting is being doe with good accuracy and awsome power. Gongs are very afraid!!!

Nrut
07-21-2012, 08:27 AM
.405 Grenadier
Fits in a Marlin lever action..

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6521043/m/3401049761

mstarling
07-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I have two .416s ... one is a Rigby and I tend to use 350 gr Speer Mag-Tips to play with it. Have not spent much time w cast boolits and the Rigby.

The other is a .376/.416 Steyr Improved (aka .416 Aargard) which is a .376 Steyr case necked up and the shoulder improved some. Is built on an old but nice Higgins Commercial Mauser action. As a practical rifle it wears a cheap Fajen's synthetic stock and a Gun-Kote finish. Only real niceties are a pair of milled custom scope mounts.

The little rifle really shoots 400 gr boolits cast from a .416-375-GC #231 mold. They are sized to 0.416" w Carnauba Red. Velocity is in the 1800 fps range. Recoil is mild.

http://www.mstarling.com/Album/416_grp_030210.jpg