PDA

View Full Version : anyone run power pistol in a 44mag

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-14-2012, 11:21 PM
anyone run power pistol in a 44mag with cast

I found a load of 12.9gr of power pistol pushed a hornady xtp decent , i never much refined the load it was as good as the factory loads i had accuracy wise.

interesting that the 44mag got me started in reloading but it is one of the last things that i don't cast for

well that needs to change , i choose the power pistol because it was a powder that was good in 9mm and 40S&W and 45acp, and i had a 44mag load for it , add that it meters well and consistently and it just ended up being the powder i choose , some day i may try others but first i need to start casting for the 44 mag

of the lee molds which do you like , i don't need to push the snot out of it , I might shoot a deer with it but most of the rounds will be for paper

i like truncated cones in my autos , and i am no fan of round nose boolits , i want a flat nose some thing 240-250 gr , not really sure i need a gas check , if i keep speed 13-1400 or bellow it shouldn't be necessary , alloy.

i have searched power pistol and 44mag but didn't find much

EDK
07-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Brian Pearce of HANDLOADER & RIFLE magazines is a big fan of POWER PISTOL in 44 Special and Magnum alike. IIRC, I ran 8.5 grains under a MIHEC clone of 429421 or a MMA10MM group buy LEE of similar design. POWER PISTOL seems to be noisier than equivalent velocities with either HP38 or TITEGROUP...5.5 inch Original Size VAQUEROS.

LEE doesn't catalog any designs that I like in the 240 grain level. Go look at the NOE site for what they have in stock. Get a four or five cavity from them and live happily ever after. (I checked...NOE has no semi wadcutter moulds in 44, BUT they have a 230? grain 44 caliber full wadcutter in a four cavity. Good for paper and impressing range ninjas! I've got the full wadcutter in 3 different designs and weights and might have to add this one) MIHEC might have something you can buy now also. These two vendors are my "go to guys" and their quality is excellent.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Stick_man
07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
NOE will be running their 429421 group buy in August. I think it is closed now, but they do run extras for inventory. If you can wait until the end of August, I bet you'd be able to pick up one of those molds. You might even be able to PM Blammer and still slip in on this buy.

bigboredad
07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
if your willing to go the custom route I would highly recommend accurate molds. quality is superb and you wont have to wait for a year to get it

Walt
07-15-2012, 12:57 PM
I like Power Pistol in the 44 Special and Mag. With a 429421 8.0 in the Special and 9.0 in the Magnum. Around 900 fps and accurate.