PDA

View Full Version : Acousticlead????

Lizard333
07-14-2012, 06:44 PM
So I got this from my dad today. This roll is over a hundred pounds. Any idea what kind of lead it is? It seems pretty soft, but is in a sheet form.

What do you think?

Hamish
07-14-2012, 06:57 PM
http://www.bing.com/search?setmkt=en-US&q=acoustilead

Well now, what do you know about that?

Lizard333
07-14-2012, 07:09 PM
I can't find anything as to the makeup. All I see is that it is lead. Is it pure?

bumpo628
07-14-2012, 08:08 PM
According to the link above, it looks like it's dead soft pure lead.

williamwaco
07-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Curious.

About a year ago, I was doing research on how to reduce noise in an attempt to build a permanent supressor ( Not attached to the gun ).

One of the best recommended methods was to inclose the space with something heavy. Recommended concrete or bricks.

Lead sheet seems like a really good idea to me.

L1A1Rocker
07-14-2012, 09:10 PM
DARN that IS expensive stuff!

http://www.markertek.com/Acoustic-Materials/Acoustic-Lead/ACL-100.xhtml

Lizard333
07-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Ya, 250$ seems a little pricey.

geargnasher
07-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a 16" x 25' roll of that stuff. Lead roof flashing is a lower grade, usually a bit harder, but it's also sold in rolls. The thinner, lead foil, is used over Dynamat in many mobil audio applications, the mass of the lead is a great acoustic damper. It's usually near pure, dead-soft stuff that can be moulded and stretched to conform to any surface.

Gear

geargnasher
07-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I have a friend that used to design small recording studios, they would build a room within the space, suspend it on specially dampened springs, and sheath the exterior of the "inner shell" with 1/2" lead sheets. The lead served as a sound barrier as well as cut down on radio interference inside the room. The suspension system removed ambient vibrations from the room, an important feature with disc burners.

Gear

Hamish
07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
And Superman could'nt see inside it.

(You will have to pardon me, how many times in a man's life will he ever get the chance to joke about a lead lined room?)

geargnasher
07-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I know, I've been waiting for years to find a topic to interject that little tidbit of useless knowledge. Really neat to know, difficult to work into a conversation. :bigsmyl2:

Gear

DrCaveman
07-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes that should be pure dead-soft lead if it is billed for acoustic use. Lead sheets are pretty much the BEST item for mid-high frequency isolation, good for probably 40 dB per half inch. So unless you want to build an indoor home shooting range, melt it up with a bit of tin and antimony and start casting.

If you want to build an indoor range, build some stout walls (2x6 with plywood/sheathing on opposing sides) then line the interior with the lead sheets. Good for about 50-60 dB reduction, broad band. Will keep the neighbors quiet!

Pm me if you want more specific noise reduction Plans they would also include damping within stud work and particular void fillers.

But as for the lead sheets: good score!

Hardcast416taylor
07-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I know, I've been waiting for years to find a topic to interject that little tidbit of useless knowledge. Really neat to know, difficult to work into a conversation. :bigsmyl2:

Gear

I`m in the same boat as you Gear! People have told me that I "know more useless trivia "horse droppings" than any 5 people"!Robert

geargnasher
07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Hardcast, "Veritable walking plethora of useless knowledge" was how a high school buddy labeled me many years ago.

Gear

williamwaco
07-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a friend that used to design small recording studios, they would build a room within the space, suspend it on specially dampened springs, and sheath the exterior of the "inner shell" with 1/2" lead sheets. The lead served as a sound barrier as well as cut down on radio interference inside the room. The suspension system removed ambient vibrations from the room, an important feature with disc burners.

Gear

WOW.

What kind of springs would hold that thing up?

MikeS
07-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Hardcast, "Veritable walking plethora of useless knowledge" was how a high school buddy labeled me many years ago.

Gear

If I knew as much useful info as I know useless stuff, I'd be rich! When I was in the leather machinery business most of the machines we sold were designed about 100 years ago or so, and I liked knowing all (or as much as possible) of the history of the companies involved, etc. Was interesting stuff, but didn't make me any extra money! Things like the fact that one of the companies we bought had lost all of their drop forging dies, making us the only people that could buy the company as we already had our own drop forging dies to make the parts of their main machine! That's a long story that I won't bore folks here with, but I found it interesting how one company could screw another making it easier for a 3rd company (my family's company) to buy them.