PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' Cap Time "Leading and Powders"

NITROTRIP
07-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Good Afternoon All,
I know this is a cabin fever question/observation, a beverage might help here as winter is when I realized this. And yes I know that white powder stuff is a passing
fad. So here goes.
I shoot Black in 9 calibers, White in 20. Cast for over half of the white ones. Paper
patch in 6, 4 Black 2 White. Been loading 39yrs.
Got your beverage ready?
Why have I "Never Ever" leaded a barrel with Black Powder??? Handgun or rifle.
That White stuff everything at one time or another, even Paper Patch. [smilie=6:

I posted this here because more Black Powder shooters have casted for Smokeless
than the other way around.:2 drunk buddies:

Have any of you noticed this finommen-fa nomena-ohheck, you get the idea.

Ideas?

RICK

Don McDowell
07-14-2012, 07:15 PM
If you haven't experienced any leading with blackpowder, you've either been extremely lucky, or aren't using white cleaning patches...

NITROTRIP
07-14-2012, 09:51 PM
OK, I have had a streak here and there but nothing like when useing smokeless. I guess
I must be very lucky. I started thinking about this when My wife and I were out shooting
and she asked me why I was shooting my BPCR guns almost all the time. I relised they
were a snap to clean. Smokeless/cast always was more time after we got home. Copper
being the worst. I now shoot 90% cast and out of that 3 to1 Blackpowder. I now have 58
safe queens and about a dozen go to guns. My wife and I shoot an average of 5-700rds a
month. we have a 1200yrd range less than a mile from home on BML land.
Just something I have been thinking about and wanted to see what you all think, or have
noted.

I value your input and thank you,
RICK

Hiwall55
07-15-2012, 06:44 AM
I think some of the reason is us B-P shooters use soft lead alloys at mild velocitys and some lead comes out in the initial part of the cleaning process when you don't even see it . years ago an older gent who shoots at our club asked why I spent so much time trying to get the lead out of my revolvers when i could make it easier by shooting 20-1 even with heavy loads. trying to prove him wrong, I switched from hard cast to my B-P alloy and while it still leaded a little , clean was a snap

Jim2
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
My BP loads all leave a tiny streak of lead here and there, from time to time. No problems, as the rifle groups that alloy (20:1) MOA + - at most distances.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!!!!!!

Jim