PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 issue - end of mag, slide returns

Linepipe
07-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Iam having an issue with my 92 - regardless of what I feed it, when the mag is empty the slide is not locking back. 80% of the time - even with new mags. If I put in an empty mag and pull the slide back it will then lock open.

What is going on?

Thanks.

GT27
07-14-2012, 08:39 PM
The best source of info you will get on this, and the information is free!
http://www.berettausa.com/

Lawyerman
07-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Probably a weak slide stop spring it doesn't have enough force to resist the follower and so it thinks it's chambering a cartridge and allows the slide to follow home.

MBTcustom
07-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Take the gun apart and clean your slide catch and the area around it real well. Also, look carfully at that part to see if there are any broken pieces. The slide lockback feature is a realatively simple design, the magazine follower simply pushes the slide catch lever up after the last round strips the mag. There are several things that can interfere with this.
1. your magazines are weak (you say you have tried new mags so I'll take your word for it)
2. your magazine catch is damaged and is not keeping the magazine high enough in the gun to be able to actuate the slidestop lever. Again, take it out, inspect for crud and broken parts, clean and replace.
3. The slide is not going back far enough when firing your ammo to be able to engage the slide stop. Take it apart, inspect for crud and broken parts, clean and reassemble.
4. The slide stop or the slide itself, has become worn on the keeping edges. This is easily inspected for without disassembly. Clean it.
If all of that doesn't work, you need to send it to a gunsmith, or back to Beretta for service.

John 242
07-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Probably a weak slide stop spring it doesn't have enough force to resist the follower and so it thinks it's chambering a cartridge and allows the slide to follow home.

Maybe you can elaborate...
I seem to remember that leg of the slide-stop spring on the M9 as holding the slide-stop with downward pressure. When the follower moves up, it overcomes the spring and lifts the slide-stop upwards. The slide-stop then engages into slide-stop notch on the slide.
I don't understand how a weak spring can result in the slide not locking back. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but that's why I'm asking.

I would think that a weak, broken or missing spring could, in theory, result in early (premature) engagement or damage to the slide-stop notch on the slide, since there is no longer anything holding it downwards.

I think Goodsteel has some really great advice on possible causes/fixes.
Replacing the slide stop and spring on a Beretta is pretty straight forward, IF that's the problem.

Linepipe
07-16-2012, 10:46 PM
OK, I think I have found the issue, and it aint the pistol or the mags.

As GT27 suggested, I looked at the Beretta website. One cryptic sentenced referenced having ones thumb on the slide catch. I spent about a minute analyzing my grip and sure enough, I think that may be the problem. I changed it earlier this year and have been gripping harder, so my thumb has probably been keeping the catch disengaged. What worked for a Glock does not for my 92.

I am going to the range later this week to see if this is the problem. If it is that sucks - now I have to unlearn my current grip. Ugh. Always learning.

Thanks for the help guys.

Lawyerman
07-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Maybe you can elaborate...
I seem to remember that leg of the slide-stop spring on the M9 as holding the slide-stop with downward pressure. When the follower moves up, it overcomes the spring and lifts the slide-stop upwards. The slide-stop then engages into slide-stop notch on the slide.
I don't understand how a weak spring can result in the slide not locking back. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but that's why I'm asking.

I would think that a weak, broken or missing spring could, in theory, result in early (premature) engagement or damage to the slide-stop notch on the slide, since there is no longer anything holding it downwards.

I think Goodsteel has some really great advice on possible causes/fixes.
Replacing the slide stop and spring on a Beretta is pretty straight forward, IF that's the problem.

You're right. I have no idea what I was thinking.....

MtGun44
07-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Too strong a recoil spring is one possibility, or too weak of ammo. If it does it
with factory ammo, look at the recoil spring or the slide stop itself may have
the tip broken off, I have seen this twice on 1911s. Wait - you said it works
when slide is run manually, so that eliminates the broken off tip.

Bill

bpratl
07-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Too strong a recoil spring is one possibility, or too weak of ammo. Bill

I agree with weak ammo because I had the same problem with a 92FS which was caused by undersized bullets plus light charges.

John 242
07-25-2012, 06:14 AM
You're right. I have no idea what I was thinking.....

No sweat man.
Just so you're tracking, I wasn't trying to bust your you-know-whats.
I seriously thought that you might have known something I don't, which is common enough that sometimes I take it for granted. :D

MBTcustom
07-29-2012, 10:29 PM
I know that Linepipe figured out his problem, but I thought I would contribute something that I learned today when I was out visiting GSrifles (fellow gunsmith). He told me that he had a 1911 that was behaving in this same way. The slide would not lock back after the final cartridge was spent. He nailed down the problem as being a weak recoil spring. Opposite of what I would have thought. He said the slide would recoil too hard because of the lack of resistance and "bounce" over the slide stop. A new wolff recoil spring solved the problem.
I know its a different gun and a different cause, but it had the same effect, and while he was describing the issue, I kept thinking about this thread. Anyway, FYI.........