PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Rust treated paper?

DanM
07-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Here at the Crossroads Hardware, our Simplicity mowers arrive wrapped with treated paper, and then are shrink wrapped and crated for delivery. This paper looks just like the stuff that Lyman molds come wrapped with. I wonder if I can get any more use out of this paper after the mowers are uncrated? Sheets are plenty big enough to wrap a rifle for storage. Here is a scan of the label....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_16075001bd219a020.jpg ('http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5896')

Mk42gunner
07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
It is worth a try Dan.

We had parts come in wrapped in VCI paper that were over thirty years old when I was in the Navy, that were still good. How much of the volitiles evaporate each time it is exposed to new air, I can't tell you.

Robert

nvbirdman
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
You could always test it. Take two tenpenny nails, clean them good, wrap one in your paper and check to see how quickly rust forms on each of them.

DanM
07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks, 30 years sounds good enough. I think I will give it a shot....DanM

geargnasher
07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
As a mechanic I saved all the treated paper I could from bearings and such, makes a good protector of small parts. I know of some bearings wrapped in it that have been on a shelf since 1982, and probably are much older because they were moved there from theold shop, bearings look like new. The boxes were deteriorating badly, but the bearings looked new. I recently picked up a set of used RCBS dies from the mid-sixties in their original cardboard, sliptop box and oilpaper, not a speck of rust.

Gear

smoked turkey
07-17-2012, 11:33 PM
I was under the impression that Grizzly tools had this paper so when I was in their store a couple of days ago I asked them about it and was told no they did not. I was wanting to get a few sheets to wrap my mold blocks in. Looks like you made a good find there with that paper. Wouldn't take much to provide protection for lots of mold blocks.

square butte
07-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Just did an internet search on "VCI paper" There's ALOT available in just about any size or shape sheet you want - and in rolls of various lengths.

Reload3006
07-18-2012, 07:14 AM
That stuff really works I use it a lot I wrap my dies in it and it works.