PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 rf upper?

BD
07-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Who makes the most reliable and accurate .22 rf upper for an AR 15? They're thinking about a .22 carbine class at the local steel challenge matches. I had a chance to try it with a S&W M&P 15-22 and it was a real hoot. I'd really like to try it using my DCM lower and a dedicated upper.
BD

Lawyerman
07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
I would go with one of the CMMG Bravos'. My buddy has one on an LMT lower and it runs like a freight train. I have one of their "bolt" conversions that I run in an old 1:12 rifle and it too runs good. They have been making them longer and in more numbers than anyone else.

Doc Highwall
07-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I have both a Spikes ST-22 and a Ballistic Advantage.

Reverend Recoil
07-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Compass Lake Engineering makes one of the best 22LR upper assemblies for the AR15 system. They are extreamly accurate and reliable. Our club has several for junior team training.
http://www.compasslake.com/22uppers.htm

MSRP: $1075.50. add $115 for a Krieger barrel.

troy_mclure
07-17-2012, 06:04 AM
For the price of dedicated .22 rf uppers I would just get a sig, s&w, or ruger complete gun.

garym1a2
07-17-2012, 08:10 AM
My dedicated .22rf CMMG upper has lots of feed issues and is very picky on ammo. I consider it a waste of money as I could have gotten an M&P22 or a Sig 522 for the same price and those work much bettter.

For the price of dedicated .22 rf uppers I would just get a sig, s&w, or ruger complete gun.

BD
07-17-2012, 08:53 AM
After looking into it a little more, the dedicated .22s seem to make some sense. Does the Sig 522 hold the bolt open on an empty mag? How accurate are they?
BD

Lawyerman
07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
After looking into it a little more, the dedicated .22s seem to make some sense. Does the Sig 522 hold the bolt open on an empty mag? How accurate are they?
BD

NO, the Sig does not hold the bolt back on last round fired. The gun is very accurate. Personally, I would stick with one of the AR based units- much easier to get spare parts etc....In the environment we are likely to have in the future re. gun ownership- I think everyone needs to think about sustainability really hard.

fourarmed
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
You might look at one of the conversion units that replace the AR boltcarrier. I bought one, and it works very well. Accuracy in the 9" twist .223 barrel is surprisingly good with 36 gr. bulk hollowpoints. Not match grade, but better than plinker grade.

BD
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM
What I would like is a 16" flat top .22 that I could mount a C-more type sight on for steel challenge fun and games. My only .223 AR is a 1/8 twist moly barrel that shoots in the .2s and I don't want to deal with the rimfires in it using a conversion bolt/chamber. For the money I'm thinking the S&W M&P makes the most sense.
BD

Lawyerman
07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
What I would like is a 16" flat top .22 that I could mount a C-more type sight on for steel challenge fun and games. My only .223 AR is a 1/8 twist moly barrel that shoots in the .2s and I don't want to deal with the rimfires in it using a conversion bolt/chamber. For the money I'm thinking the S&W M&P makes the most sense.
BD

I own two of them. The older one, a very early gun, bought new, has over 28,000 rounds on it so far. Only issue was the trigger pull was waaay too heavy. I replaced the springs with a set of JP yellow reduced powers and now it's great. The other gun I just bought-used, only have about 700 rounds on it.

You simply cannot beat the MP as a 'trainer- everything is IDENTICAL to a "real" AR15. I have mine set up with red dots in the same place, same slings, same lights etc....as my serious duty guns.

troy_mclure
07-18-2012, 08:53 AM
You might look at one of the conversion units that replace the AR boltcarrier. I bought one, and it works very well. Accuracy in the 9" twist .223 barrel is surprisingly good with 36 gr. bulk hollowpoints. Not match grade, but better than plinker grade.

I've seen lots of the bolt replacement modules that lead badly or incredibly inn accurate. It depends on your chamber dimensions and bore diameter.

My buddy has a s&w mp22 with a sparrow suppressor on it. It's really accurate, and really reliable.

DDriller
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a Tactical Solutions upper that is a tack driver.