PDA

View Full Version : Lube Change in Lubamatic

rjathon
07-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I tried to change lubes in my RCBS lubamatic by simply adding a stick of new stuff on top of what little was left of the old one. It didn't take long until the bullets starting showing a little blue color with the red so I thought blue would dominate soon. 1500 bullets later the bullets are mostly blue but still about 1/4 red.

How should one change lubes?

Thanks

fryboy
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
heat softens lube , enough heat melts lube , somewhere in the middle it will run out , some use a heat lamp and some boil their sizer , either way it's best to remove the plunger, sizing dies and any other parts that mite get hurt by either method , if heating then a drip/catch pan is a very very good idea ( and not one of SWMBO or you'll be in big time trouble ) boiling is also pretty easy ( but note the previous SWMBO comment ) and then you merely cover it with water in a large pan and heat to a boil , the lube melts and floats on top , allow to cool ,scrape off the lube ( which can be re-used or turned into flux ) and remove sizer , of note a long boiling time can also soften and remove paint , while that may not be a bad thing if you're wanting to refinish/paint it if you're not a short boiling time is best

ShooterAZ
07-14-2012, 02:09 PM
If you have a heater, just leave it on for a few hours with a pan or something underneath to catch any dripping lube. At this point what does not drip out can be easily pushed out with the plunger and then wiped out with a rag. This is how I do it.

a.squibload
07-14-2012, 02:49 PM
I let it ride, finally flushed out the old stiff green stuff
after a whole stick of red BAC, several hundred boolits.
Waste not want not...

Leadmelter
07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I bought a second luber so I keep one for pistol and one for rifle. You can find them used for a good price.
Gerry
MI

Dale53
07-16-2012, 09:52 AM
When swapping lube in Star, RCBS, or Lyman (I have all three), I use a heat gun. Heat it just enough to get the job done and you will not damage it. Over heat it and it is certainly possible to damage the paint...

Use a scrap pan, a sided cookie tin, or a large tin can to catch the old lube.

Dale53