PDA

View Full Version : Range Lead Sale

R.M.
05-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Our indoor range, just west of Denver, hasn't had it's backstop cleaned out for it seems ever. At a club meeting tonight, one of the guys has taken it upon himself to start cleaning out the backstop and melting it down into large ingots. He took about a ton to the scap yard the other day, and I don't think he got enough for it. I told him to stockpile it, and I'd see if anybody here would be interested in a major buy. We figure we would have about 10 tons available.
What would be a fair price for ingotized range lead? This stuff is lead only, no jackets are allowed. Mostly .22's and .45 cast. When I cast from it, it usually runs about 8 BHN.
Is anybody interested in a large load? Like I said, we're in Arvada Colorado, just on the outskirts of Denver.

R.M.

Scrounger
05-02-2007, 01:10 AM
I could maybe take some; price and when it's available are factors.

TaylorTN
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Too bad this didn't happen back in October or March when I was out there....

Good Luck with moving it to a good home

scrapcan
05-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Keep us posted on final price. There could be others in the area interested. I just might be depending on the price.

44woody
05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
R.M you have a pm on the way lets make a deal :coffeecom 44Woody

mooman76
05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I think a fair price if they come get it would be the going price for lead if you sold it at a scrap yard or maybe just above that price1 Maybe if he doesn't want to bother smelting it, you could sell it for even less!

georgeld
05-02-2007, 09:36 PM
about 5 yrs ago I was the sucker that cleaned out the basement down here in Pueblo's pistol range. BUT, it was mixed jackets and trash too.
Hauled off about four ton. Gave most of it away five gallons at a time. Still have about a dozen bucketsful.

But, melted close to a ton into one pounders for my own use and still have about 1300lbs of it left.

Seperated the jackets and sold that as brass scrap for way more than it cost for the gas to melt it down.

They now sell it to Speken's Metals here in town, but, I have no idea what he pays for it. Less than 50 cents I'm sure and bet it's closer to a quarter. IF you'd call him, ask for Gary.

Good luck with it.

R.M.
05-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, we got $0.47 /lb for the first batch. I was thinking we could improve on that, but maybe not. We're having a work party this Satuday morning with about 4 or 5 turkey friers. Should brew up quite a bit in short order.

R.M.

Lloyd Smale
05-03-2007, 04:52 AM
You did well at that price for range lead.

R.M.
05-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, it sounds like it would be cost prohibitive to add shipping to our ingots, but if there's anybody close enough to drive and pick some up, let me know.

R.M.

richbug
05-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Is there any value to the junk that floats off the lead? I have accumulated about 100# off the stuff. Seems to be mostly jackets, little dirt and other misc. With copper at $3 a pound I wonder...

jim4065
05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm looking for a 1000#'s or more - and hoping that either the Ft Sill buy or an ebay buy in Dubuque comes off. I'd be interested if there was some way to relay it thru KC or OK. By the time you take a couple days off and add in fuel, it gets pretty hard to beat the local scrap yard.

floodgate
05-03-2007, 08:58 PM
richbug:

It would be REAL interesting to take 20 lbs or so of that stuff, heat it up in a pot (dip-type preferred), and try one or another of the "reducing" ideas mentioned here; I'd start with the sawdust and heavy stirring approach, outdoors, with a fan and respirator, and see if the "oxides" actually DO "reduce" to clean metal, from which you could cast small ingot samples and test for hardness. I've thought of doing this, but only have a couple of pounds of dross, after discarding the rest. (NB: by "discarding", I mean dumping it a few lbs. at a time into the middle of a concrete slab or pier-block pad pour; about as safe a disposition method as I can come up with.)

floodgate

44woody
05-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I take my metal ww clips and dross to my local scrap yard and they get rid of it for me:castmine: 44Woody

montana_charlie
05-08-2007, 01:47 PM
I think a fair price if they come get it would be the going price for lead if you sold it at a scrap yard or maybe just above that price.
I just picked up some X-ray shielding at the scrap yard. I didn't plan to stop, so I only had $35 to spend...which bought a hundred pounds.

Looking at their price board, they sell lead for 35 cents...but buy it for a nickel.
CM

R.M.
05-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Ya, of all the scrap-yards this guy went to, all but this one offered him squat. I do know that the first 2200 lbs got us somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000.00.
Sounds like we'd better get it all processed and taken in real fast.

abunaitoo
05-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Try and see how much you can fit into a USPS flat rate box. The cost is $8.10 for any amount of weight you can fit in it.

Springfield
05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
8.95 starting Monday.

VTDW
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Try and see how much you can fit into a USPS flat rate box. The cost is $8.10 for any amount of weight you can fit in it.

I have bought it that way and 50# fit tight in the box but it was sheared sheet lead.