PDA

View Full Version : case tumblers

milo14
07-13-2012, 09:30 PM
i hope this is ok to put here but mine just died, had a harbor freight for a coule of years worked ok, would like to try a tumbler type but they are very expensive, but would take any other suggestion out there for a new tumbler. thanks

swamp
07-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Try a search for tumblers. There are a few threads/post on home-made tumblers. You will be surprised how innovative some people are. Lots of info to help you out.
swamp

dromia
07-14-2012, 03:09 AM
The tumble type like Thumlers do cost a lot more than the cheaper vibratory type but then you are paying the extra for a product that won't let you down and will last. I run two Thumlers, one has been with me for a long time now and I bought it second hand, all I've needed to do is replace the belt. So if you factor that in then perhaps in the long run they don't cost as much as the "cheaper" ones.

However tumbler technology isn't complicated and if hard cash is tight and you have the skills then making one shouldn't be too difficult or costly.

As the previous poster has said do a search as there are some fine examples of home made tumblers on Cast Boolits.

Roosters
07-14-2012, 10:51 AM
So if you factor that in then perhaps in the long run they don't cost as much as the "cheaper" ones.

I have a RCBS Sidewinder that I have used sence the late 70s with no problems. It will use liquid or dry media. But like you said they are not cheep.

mdi
07-14-2012, 01:11 PM
A.K.A; Ball Mills, Rock Tumblers. Google those and you'll get a load of sites to visit. Also try "home made Ball Mills, Rock Tumblers" for a bunch of ideas...

bobthenailer
07-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Ive been using a Lortone QT6 tumbler for over 30 years with possibley 500,000+ cases cleaned in it! The only part that was ever replaced was a drive belt.

lkeppinger
09-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Put a Vibrating wood sander upside down in your vise, screw a tupperware bowl (with a lid) to the pad. Put in walnut media with red rouge polishing powder. You now have a vibrator sander that will outlast the commercial and will polish the brass in 1/2 the time. :Fire:

saz
09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I bought a Lyman 1200 at a gunshow a few years ago and hasnt failed yet- (knock on wood) best $25 I ever spent.

Shiloh
09-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Put a Vibrating wood sander upside down in your vise, screw a tupperware bowl (with a lid) to the pad. Put in walnut media with red rouge polishing powder. You now have a vibrator sander that will outlast the commercial and will polish the brass in 1/2 the time. :Fire:

Sound plausible.

Harbor freight tolls are cheap. Sounds like the way to go.
I have about four motors in my RCBS tumbler. The last one went about 6 months.
The guy at RCBS said they got a bad batch of motors. The new one is Identical, but sounds a lot healthier and moves the brass in the media quite aggressively.

RCBS stands behind their stuff!!

Shiloh

mdi
09-09-2012, 11:45 AM
BTW; vibrating brass tumblers don't vibrate or tumble. They have a motor with a weight offset on the motor shaft, armature, so the whole motor "wobbles", and transfers this wobbling motion to a tub. Unless you get a unit with a good motor, it is a "self destruct" design (unbalanced armature; tough on bearings). I know some are gonna post about their wobblers lasting 30 years and still going strong (my last one is 9 years old), just commenting on the design [smilie=1:

44Vaquero
09-09-2012, 11:57 AM
What about retro fitting a new motor to the unit that you have? I have never looked under a HF vibratory tumbler to see what type they use. If they use a DC motor most likely the rectifier has gone bad or a wire broke free. 4 bucks @ RS.

I do know that my Midway uses a small c-frame ac fan motor. When it dies I already have a replacement sitting on the shelf.

How much brass do you need to tumble on a regular basis? I have never upgraded to a tumbler type because I have never felt the need for the added cost and bulk capability.

1hole
09-09-2012, 07:22 PM
There is precious little difference between brands of vib tumblers, there are too few parts in them to make any real difference. The 'weak' point in any of 'em is the motor. They all use Chinese motors and any individual motor's life expectancy is a matter of luck, not the brand of the machine. IMHO, the best current deal is Berry's, also sold as Cabela's, they have a ball bearing motor with a 1/4" shaft and the price is right.

dnotarianni
09-09-2012, 07:33 PM
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/dnotarianni/image_11471.jpg