PDA

View Full Version : ingot casting question

sw1115
07-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi, Just cast up my first load of muffin pan ingots using WW's. The first 30 went great then on the last pot the first 6 where fine then i started having lead build up on the side of the pot and the lead I had in the ladle seem to thicken up. The only thing I did different on the last pot was take a propane torch to the top to speed things up a little(getting dark). Is it possible I melted some of the zinc WW and that is the cause of the problem? Also can I reheat this stuff and use it (will it separate at the right temp)?

Thanks

Skip

geargnasher
07-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Use Sawdust for flux, stir it in good, and scrape the sides of the pot with a wooden stick like a 5-gallon paint stir stick from a home store. The wood is like a magic eraser for the stuff that clings to the side of the pot, and the oxides of tin and such that you're probably skimming and tossing otherwise. It's possible you melted some zink in there with your torch, but only you will know for sure. Were you sorting zinkers out or relying on not overheating and skimming the floaters with the clips?

Gear

sw1115
07-13-2012, 10:48 PM
I was skimmimg and it went pretty good at first. I'm going to Maine in the morning so I'll stop at Kittery Trading Post (kinda like a local Cabellas) and pick up a lead thermometer. Maybe the metal got too hot. Does it matter what kind of wood for the saw dust. I have a grapple load of oak I'm cutting up, lots of saw dust

Skip

runfiverun
07-13-2012, 11:09 PM
that will work make sure it chars up for the carbon, then stir it all in the mix.
then light it on fire or throw a little candle wax on it to light it off.
this will allow the oxides to return to the melt as well as carborize the alloy.

sw1115
07-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Well today I went at it again. This time I had a RCBS thermometer. Loaded up the 6 quart dutch oven and put it on the side burner of the grill. After about 11/2 hours the temp was only up to 520. The lead was solidifing on the side of the pot like before but this time I knew that the temp was low and the side burner wasn't going to cut it. So off to the the big box store to get the "Bayou Classic" high pressure cooker. Had 30# of WW up to 700 degrees in less than10 minutes. To say night and day difference is a under statement. I've got 200# of ingots ready to go and a Lee 4-20 furnance coming on Tuesday. Should be into some boolits by Friday. I'll report on that deal when I get going

Skip