PDA

View Full Version : Remington nylon 77

BigAndyT
07-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Hey, so I took my gun out shooting at some powerlines and I was shooting cans with my friend, and when I was lining up the sights every shot was missing. So I aimed like a whole inch lower than I was originally aiming ( which was like four inches below the. where the can was) to see how that was and I started to hit the cans. Then I took it to the shooting range to see if that was just because I was shooting at a downward angle or what. No luck tough, with the sights lined up with the bullseye the shots were hitting atleast five inches above the target. I was wondering if someone could help me out in iceilating the problem.

Thanks

H.Callahan
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Perhaps the sights got knocked out of alignment?

rond
07-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Can you lower the rear sight?

Hamish
07-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Andy, does your rear sight have a phillips (cross shaped) screw in front of the sight notch? If so, you turn the screw in or out to raise or lower the sight notch. Lowering the notch will lower the point of impact of the bullet, raising the rear notch will raise the point of impact of the bullet. You want to adjust the notch down so that the Point of Aim (what you are aiming at) is the same as the Point of Impact (where the bullet hits).

frkelly74
07-13-2012, 05:28 PM
I think, if I remember right, these nylon rifles have the rear sight mounted on an extension from the sheet metal receiver cover and the front sight mounted on the barrel as is normal. On the one I had there was a lot of play between the barrel and the receiver so that the barrel could swing around a lot and the rear sight would stay stationary. I did not think this was a good way to have the sights mounted, it struck me as being kind of flimsey. It was not a solid unit and looked to me like all kinds of aiming error could be introduced just by the way you hold the rifle.

shotman
07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
The large elevation screw is out of the threads. Push down on the sight while turning clock wise Make sure you dont cross thread as it will be at slight angle

BigAndyT
07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Okay I will go out tomorrow and try it out. Thanks everyone!

Mack Heath
07-14-2012, 11:44 PM
I think, if I remember right, these nylon rifles have the rear sight mounted on an extension from the sheet metal receiver cover and the front sight mounted on the barrel as is normal. On the one I had there was a lot of play between the barrel and the receiver so that the barrel could swing around a lot and the rear sight would stay stationary. I did not think this was a good way to have the sights mounted, it struck me as being kind of flimsey. It was not a solid unit and looked to me like all kinds of aiming error could be introduced just by the way you hold the rifle.

The above is spot on the money. I personally had a bad experience with mine for exactly the reason explained above. I was able to confirm the problem from the bench. The forend is very flimsy and can move around considerably depending on just where you place your hand on the forend. Since rear sight is not mounted on the barrel, but rather the receiver cover, the point of impact can move around a bunch. The problem is even worse if you mount a scope to the receiver. If you do that, then the barrel is completely isolated from your sighting system.

In my case I was using a scope and found that if you sight in with your hand near the front of the stock and then place your support hand back by the receiver, your next shot will go very low. I had to dispatch an animal and the problem above resulted in a mess. It was the last time I ever used the piece of junk.

PacMan
07-15-2012, 07:27 PM
The above is spot on the money. I personally had a bad experience with mine for exactly the reason explained above. I was able to confirm the problem from the bench. The forend is very flimsy and can move around considerably depending on just where you place your hand on the forend. Since rear sight is not mounted on the barrel, but rather the receiver cover, the point of impact can move around a bunch. The problem is even worse if you mount a scope to the receiver. If you do that, then the barrel is completely isolated from your sighting system.

In my case I was using a scope and found that if you sight in with your hand near the front of the stock and then place your support hand back by the receiver, your next shot will go very low. I had to dispatch an animal and the problem above resulted in a mess. It was the last time I ever used the piece of junk.

Do you still have that piece of junk and if so is it for sale?

x101airborne
07-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Danged it.... PacMan beat me to it!

BigAndyT
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Alright I took it out shooting and the sights are all lined up now thanks everybody

Hamish
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Another job well done, now back to the Fortress of Solitude! (the shop/garage/reloading room, don't you know)