PDA

View Full Version : A new way to keep both the wife and I happy

Boerrancher
07-12-2012, 06:53 PM
These are the flowers that I picked for the wife today.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Msc%20Pics/50calFlowers.jpg

Just because I used the 50 cal flinter and picked them from 40 yards shouldn't matter... should it?

On a side note a friend of mine called and ask me if I was interested in his Northwest trade gun, 20 ga. It was made sometime back in the 80's by a fella named Curly G. It is not a bad looking gun. It seems to have been well cared for. My friend bought it new. It was rust blued so it looks really old and authentic. I am just wondering what a gun like that is worth. I will get some pics posted of it as soon as I get them. I am thinking about buying it, but need to know a ball park of what to offer. As I said it is a clean gun.

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

Joe

waksupi
07-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Joe, if that Curly gun is put together right, it is worth around $1000+. New ones are around $1200. Get some decent pictures.

Boerrancher
07-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Here are the pics of that Curly gun. They do not do it justice. I don't know what it is suppose to look like, heck it may be a pigs breakfast as compared to an original, but it looks good to me.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/IMG_4806.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/IMG_4582.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/IMG_4129.jpg

I am thinking I can probably get it for somewhere between $200 and $400 dollars. The man's wife is really tired of it sitting around collecting dust, and is telling him it has got to go since he doesn't use it. As I said he bought it new in the early to mid 80's and even though he hasn't set an exact price yet, he told me it would probably be a bit less than what he paid for it.

Thanks for your help Ric,

Joe

Dean D.
07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
$200 - $400 would be a steal if you ask me! Curly is a well known maker and I'm sure his guns will only appreciate in value over time. Great find Joe!

waksupi
07-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Yep, if you can get it for that kind of money, jump on it. You can always make a profit from it.

By the way, if you didn't know, I build guns for Curly's old company now.

Boerrancher
07-13-2012, 10:02 AM
By the way, if you didn't know, I build guns for Curly's old company now.

That I knew. I told the man I wanted it, to shoot me a price. Now if he comes in any where close to what he hinted at yesterday, I will put some money down on it and snag it up come the end of the month when I have money again. I don't think the flowers I picked my wife yesterday are going to make this easier for her to swallow. I will have to come up with something else.

Any how thanks for the help in pushing me a step closer to divorce and financial ruin... it is appreciated [smilie=p:

Best wishes,

Joe

451 Pete
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Joe ,
I can appreciate your situation. Something that you might give a try is telling her that you are thinking of making a sound financial investment. Show her the above postings and tell her it is a great bargain at this price ( which it is ) Say that you had not planned on spending the money ( which you didnt ) but with a deal like this it would just be foolish to pass it by. Gals kind of like finding a bargain. ............................ Alternately, you can always go back to " Plan A " but it will entail a lot of flowers and either jewelry or a night out. :Bright idea:

Good lLuck ... Pete

Swede44mag
07-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Diamonds are a girls best friend. ;-p

Boerrancher
07-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I may be in luck fellas. The man that owns the gun is interested in one of my old 98K Mauser rifles. If he offers a straight up trade I will not argue, all the numbers match on the gun and the bore looks brand new. I have seen guns in worse shape go for more than $400, never mind the fact that I paid like $20 for it when I was a kid.

Best wishes,

Joe

waksupi
07-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Are you related to Jesse James?

DIRT Farmer
07-13-2012, 11:49 PM

Close to the old homestead, though.

Boerrancher
07-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Honestly, Yes. The Anderson family (My Grandmother) is related to the James', as well as the Youngers and the Fords. Cpt Anderson was my Great Great Grandfather Frank Anderson's first cousin, and second cousins to the James boys. My Great Great Grandfather Frank and Cpt Wm. Anderson use to play in Meramec Caverns as kids, so it is no wonder Jesse and Co knew about it and used it.

The Anderson's were the first White folks to live in this area and intermarried with the local indigenous population, so I am related to many of the Families who moved in to the area in the early 1800's.

Best wishes,

Joe

kullas
07-14-2012, 04:05 PM
that sure is a good looking gun ya got there

Good Cheer
07-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Yo Cous'!
On Dad's side of the family we're hand me downs from Cole's gene pool.

waksupi
07-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Yep. I knew it. ;o)

JeffinNZ
07-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Reminds me of the day, in low light, that I shot a thistle clean off through the middle thinking it was a rabbit. Great shot, looked like an idiot in front of SWMBO.

waksupi
07-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Funny you should mention that, Jeff. At the club shoot today, we were shooting thistle blossoms with our muzzle loaders. They were at the right stage, they looked like a sky rocket blowing up. Great fun!

Boerrancher
07-15-2012, 09:53 AM
At first that is what I was doing was shooting the flowers themselves. They would turn into a shower of yellow when smacked with that 50 cal ball. I knew that the flinter shoot good, I just didn't know that it shot well enough to clip the stems of the last two flowers with two consecutive shots. I just tried to keep the stem in the middle of the front sight blade. It is a good thing I ran out of flowers, because I doubt I could get lucky enough for 3 in a row. The one thing I have learned over the years is that ******* luck beats skill every time. Only skill is somewhat permanent and luck is fleeting at best.

Best wishes,

Joe

JeffinNZ
07-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh, you guys shoot the flowers. I don't think that is sportin'. I only shoot for the stems....... ;-)

grullaguy
07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Reminds me of the day, in low light, that I shot a thistle clean off through the middle thinking it was a rabbit. Great shot, looked like an idiot in front of SWMBO.

Shot a pile of cow dung one time that looked like a gopher from 40 yards.

I try to bring home whatever I shoot, but in that case I made an exception.