PDA

View Full Version : Roofing Vent's

Gator 45/70
07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Son dropped these off today...Seem's to have a fair amount of lead in them...

So,I'm wanting to know the good,bad and the ugly about casting these into boolit's...

Thanks' ahead of time for the insight...Gator...

shooter93
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Consider them pure lead and nothing wrong with melting them down just watch for hidden water first, make sure they are dry.

Lead Freak
07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Son dropped these off today...Seem's to have a fair amount of lead in them...

So,I'm wanting to know the good,bad and the ugly about casting these into boolit's...

Thanks' ahead of time for the insight...Gator...

I believe they are pure lead, similar to the lead sheets that were used by the phone companies years ago to wrap connections on lines. Save it for your black powder guns.

olaf455
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
...or for blending a custom alloy.

Gator 45/70
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I may have to blend...I have no black powder firearm's...

Good for 38's..?

Cherokee
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Good for 38's if mixed with some wheel weights or linotype, or a tin/antimony alloy. How much depends on what you mix it with.

Kraschenbirn
07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I've got a roofer buddy who saves vents and flashing for me. Melted, fluxed, and cast into ingots, judging by BHn, it's pretty darn close to pure lead...with, maybe, just a touch of residual tin from the soldered joints. Most of the time, I use it for BPCR boolits but have also mixed it 50/50 with clip-on WWS for standard-velocity pistol (.38 spl, .44 spl, and .45 ACP).

Bill

Gator 45/70
07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Ok...Look's like this is good to go....I'll add a bit of tin and see how it run's..Thanks' Again...!

Cadillo
07-12-2012, 08:27 PM
The roofers here are still having a field day due to a hail storm back in March. A friend and fellow shooter in the business just gave me about 300lbs. of them. Just waiting for a slight break in the heat to process them into ingots for alloying with WW and Monotype.

They're a bit dirty to process, but these days we have to take lead in whatever form we can find it.

ShooterAZ
07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
This is a great source for lead. This and sheet roofing lead. I have close to 500 lbs of it right now, and have melted and mixed close to 200 lbs of it with linotype in a ratio of 1 part linotype to 3 parts lead. I also mixed a fair amount of it in a ratio of 1/20 tin-lead for wadcutter type loads. Good score.

crabo
07-13-2012, 12:45 AM
The problem I see is that there aren't enough of them. Last time my roofer dropped off a pile, it was over 900 pounds. I gave him $.50 a pound.

I mix 50/50 with wheel weights. I can do 1500 fpps in my guide gun with a plain based boolit and CRed lube and no leading.

Bob Krack
07-13-2012, 07:09 AM
If ya notice the discoloration where the pipe connects with the flat flange, you will see a trace of high Tin which was used to solder the two pieces together.

I use tin snips and cut the entire piece into manageable size and save the "solder joint" for it's Tin content. The balance I treat as pure lead even though it probably has small amounts of Antimony and/or ??

Gator 45/70
07-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks' Bob,I have noticed the solder at the joint's...

Crabo...May not be much..However the price is right..!!! Free to me...lol

Rusty Shackleford
07-20-2012, 07:52 PM
cool.... free lead! handgun loads under 1100 fps i'd mix 50-50 with WW or 3 part roof jack to one part linotype.

John F.
07-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Very nice indeed! Any suggestions on how to find these if you don't know a roofer?

Thanks,
John

imashooter2
07-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Very nice indeed! Any suggestions on how to find these if you don't know a roofer?

Thanks,
John

Yep. They are on roofs around vent pipes. Most folks get a bit testy if you try to take them though...

[smilie=1:

Gator 45/70
07-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Well John F. I would call a few local roofer's and explain what your looking for..Perhap's one or two may hook you up ! It don't hurt to ask..all they can say is no or come see me for some scrap...

Cadillo
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Tuesday it was 103*F, but I had to brave the heat and smelt the boxes of pipe jacks (That's What They are Called Here) that I had in the back of my pickup before one of the local Phillistines stole them. I managed to empty out the truck and netted 80 ingots at an average wt. of 3.8 lbs.

By the time I was done, I was totally spent. I won't be doing any more smelting or casting until the weather breaks in mid to late October. Too old to be getting wrung out like that!

I will be glad though when I get all the pipe jacks and wheel weights smelted, ingotized and marked as to content. Those ingots just nest together and stack so well that they take hardly any space at all compared to buckets of WW's and boxes of pipe jacks. I will continue to seek more material though.

Fall can't come seen enough!

deltaenterprizes
08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
If ya notice the discoloration where the pipe connects with the flat flange, you will see a trace of high Tin which was used to solder the two pieces together.

I use tin snips and cut the entire piece into manageable size and save the "solder joint" for it's Tin content. The balance I treat as pure lead even though it probably has small amounts of Antimony and/or ??

You beat me to it! +1

Sabaharr
08-02-2012, 06:26 PM
My source of these is my next door neighbor. He is a roofer and during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina his crews did 4 or 5 roofs a day. He brought home the roof jacks and just dropped them over my fence, which was about 15 feet from his driveway. That was 6 years ago almost and I am still making ingots. Only about 300 pounds left to smelt, but I agree it is hot. Setting them out in the sun for an hour reduces the propane needed to get them melted. See, there is an advantage already, solar smelting.

Old Caster
08-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Someone who shoots BPCR will trade lead with antimony for the lead without. In general, it is easier to get the antimony lead. -- Bill --