PDA

View Full Version : Need larger melting pot. Pro-melt or other brand? Suggestions

BK7saum
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm looking for a little large melting pot. My 10lb lee pot is becoming too small for the volume of boolits I want to cast at a session. Spend too much time waiting on the ingots to melt.

Any suggestions for best pot? What about pricing that you are aware of? I know the pro-melt and others are fairly expensive, but need to upgrade?

Thanks all....

dbarnhart
07-12-2012, 03:57 PM
A lot depends upon your other requirements/needs/desires. If you are happy with your 10# Lee in all respects except capacity then you should consider a Lee 20# and add a PID controller.

BK7saum
07-12-2012, 04:05 PM
That's something that I'm considering. The PID will allow me to control temp better and the 20 would give me double the volume.

guidogoose
07-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Why not just run multiple Lee pots for the price of the RCBS ??

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-13-2012, 12:08 AM
hmmmmmmmmm...

if you are going to stay with Lee, buy two while you're at it.

Four years ago I bought a turkey cooker at Cabela's for well under $100. It came with a six-quart dutch oven. Run your cooker full, regulate the temp by adjusting the propane flow, and keep the 10 pounder full. When you find an alloy that works good for your intended purposes, you can batch a hundred pounds pretty easy. It is also a highly superior way to melt WW, a 10 lb electric magnet will take most of the clips out with a pass or two.

Rich

evan price
07-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I really ,really like my RCBS Pro-Melt. I think Lee works great for the price point but my RCBS does not leak and it will hold closer to 20# of lead than the Lee. Plus it takes large ingots, which the Lee will not.

mktacop
07-13-2012, 07:44 AM
I had a Lee Pro 4-20 with a PID controller. It dripped constantly, but with PID held temps right where I wanted them. It dies a few weeks ago after 6 months of heavy use. Now I have a PID controlled RCBS Pro Melt.

dbarnhart
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I really ,really like my RCBS Pro-Melt

Mee too. I went from a lee 10# bottom-pour to the Pro-Melt. I love it. it has made casting in larger volumes MUCH easier. No fuss. No fiddling. It just works.

Cherokee
07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I have had good service from my Lee 20# pots (I have 3 of them) for many years. I considered the RCBS a few years ago but I can't justify 2 of them like I would want.

EDK
07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
I've got a LYMAN mag dipper that needs to be rebuilt...and probably would cost a fortune to do so. Before that I had a SAECO 20 pound dipper pot that I just plain wore out...two basement floods didn't help it much either.

Since I'm obviously a ladle caster, I recommend a LEE MAGNUM MELTER.....20 pound capacity for about $55 from GRAFS. RCBS and LYMAN are nice...built like a tank!...BUT I can buy four or five MAGNUM MELTERS for one of either of them.

DUH, what a choice!

:redneck: :cbpour: :guntootsmiley:

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2012, 06:29 AM
hard to beat the rcbs pots for the money.

D Crockett
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
if you want something you can increase your volum of casting get a Magma 40 lb pot well worth the money. if you get just the 40 lb pot you can or have some one make a stand for it I made one for one of mine and it was easy to make . the best thing is I can add ingots to the pot without haveing the spout freese up on me .I like mine so much that over the years I have ended up with 3 or them. one master caster one that I made a stand for to use with moulds that would not fit my master caster and one that I closed up the spout on becouse it got damaged by someone that I loaned it to . never loan out your casting equiptment or you will end up in front of the judge like I did . D Crockett