PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the odds ends?

44Vaquero
07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Having decided it was time clean and reorganize the reloading bench I am undecided on what to do with the accumulated odds and ends:

half MG belt of 7.62 blanks
various gun screws that came from some where?
4 Speer plastic 38 shells
loose extra rounds of various calibers, some that I do not even reload for!
springs and pins
loose boolits cast and jacket that are left overs from various projects
choke tubes for a Winchester that you do not own any more
recovered slugs from ammo testing
Etc, you get the idea!

My grandfather always had a coffee can full of this stuff and now I do too! I recall plenty of good stories coming out of digging through that can. For some reason I just can not bring myself to toss the stuff in the garbage.

Scott_In_OKC
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I had a few belts of 7.62 blanks. I traded them to a local Class 3 dealer to use in his minigun in exchange for a couple of t-shirts :)

seagiant
07-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi 44,
If you don't have a "catch all" for all the odd pieces,you never did anything to begin with!!!:veryconfu

Jack Stanley
07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
You need to get a small parts cabinet with the little drawers you can hang on the wall . The screws , pins and springs and anything else that is usefull for repair of what you have goes in there .

The recovered slugs get photographed , notes written and put in the book of your load developement . After which the slugs get returned to the pot to work on another test .

The loose ammo has notes written about which firearm you need to buy at your next stop at the gun shop/show . Same with the choke tubes , you've kicked yourself twice since you sold it anyway .

You get the idea .....................................

What ??? you thought the guys here were gonna go easy on ya ?? :mrgreen:

Jack

Sasquatch-1
07-12-2012, 04:41 PM
If it fits in a coffee can why get rid of it. Now if it takes up a packing box then it's time to call Danielle on American Pickers. :groner:

44Vaquero
07-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Funny thing is, I did not realize how many oddities I have accumulated until today!
Jack, the parts bin is good idea my son works @ Harbor Freight, put in the request today.
Sasquatch, I like the way you think!
Seagiant, a wise observation as always.

Now what to do with the 200 blow gun darts and the solid fuel hand warmers that I just found in the back of the cabinet? [smilie=w:

Jack Stanley
07-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Silly ... you KNOW the answer to that . Start making plans for deer hunting somewhere northwest of the bridge . The next time you go to Gibralter of Birch Run stop by and pick up a blow gun tube right next to the beef jerky table right across the isle from the Pakistan swords and throwing stars . Or , you could start loading them in shotgun shells .

Jack

kullas
07-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Well now if you dont want the stuff laying around you could always send it to me :)

imashooter2
07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
What to do with it? I save it so that my daughter's husband will have a great "crazy old man" story to tell his friends after he hauls all that **** out of the basement when I die.

44Vaquero
07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Jack, If I remember correctly there is a 40 cal barrel attachment in my safe that fits on an old Crosmen pellet rifle. It shoots the blow gun darts wicked fast as I remember. LOL
Ima, that's a great idea! I do have two daughters. Love showing their boyfriends videos of the 1911 or the 44 in action. It's even better when they find out the girls shoot!

EMC45
07-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I use parts bins with the mini pull out drawers. You can fit a bunch of odds and ends in there.

mazo kid
07-13-2012, 12:05 PM
When I was still working, I would pull discarded office machines out of the trash and spend noon hours dis-assemmbling them. A treasure trove of odd Fillister head screws, nuts, shafts, springs, etc., and they DO come in handy!!

btroj
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Get a table at a gunshow and charge 200 dollars an ounce. Ignore any offers for less. Be belligerent to those who question your pricing.

Firebricker
07-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Myself I'm a container freak. I like small clear peanut butter jars for stuff not likely to be handled often as well as clear spice and bacon bit containers. That way you can see what's in them and safe from dust. For odds and ends that take more room coffee cans with masking tape labels. Anything more likely to be used I love plastic bins like the dillion ones from my 550.

I always keep good stray round of ammo for guns I don't own because who knows you might acquire one someday or a friend may get one. Choke tubes and things of that nature I like the things from the hobby store with small plastic drawers I also use those for my sizing dies and one for gun cleaning each drawer labelled by caliber. FB

Hardcast416taylor
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
This is why I bought several sizes of zip bags in 50 count amounts from Midway. I put the parts in a bag and add a brief description on a piece of paper add it in the bag and put this in a larger box for possible use later.Robert

Longwood
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I recently started buying little plastic boxes at the dollar store.
They stack nicely and some types are clear and I can see what is in them.
I also bought some nice compartmented boxes at the fishing dept of Walmart that I keep a lot of odds and ends in.
I buy them a few at a time so it seems like they cost me less when I check out.

429421Cowboy
07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
You could always consider trading your stuff for someone else's stuff in a PIF box when you get bored with your odds and ends and want to get different ones:redneck:

44Vaquero
07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Cowboy, That is a really clever idea! I know how strange things I have laying around, imagine what some of the other guys on this site must have. Useless treasure as far as the eye can see!:Luvcastboolits:

Roosters
07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Get a table at a gunshow and charge 200 dollars an ounce. Ignore any offers for less. Be belligerent to those who question your pricing.

btroj I think I have talked to you at a gun show !!!! :shock:

paul h
07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
If you only find a use for just one of those spare screws you'll be glad you held onto them. Misc cast bullets is easy, melt em down and make new.

If you can fit the odds and ends into one coffee can, you haven't even begun to rat hole misc spares. When you can clean the shop, fill up a trash can to overflowing without even touching your stash of spares, then you might need to consider thinning things out.

Jack Stanley
07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm saving the plastic boxes that twenty-two magnum ammunition came in . Since I've fired about seven hundred rounds or more this year I have a few boxes saved . I'll find a cardboard box or build a small cabinet to house them and then I can really charge the long dollar at the gunshows for hand sorted parts !!

Jack

joatmon
07-15-2012, 02:18 AM
The solid hand warmer fuel sticks are hard to find around here. I miss the old solids, tear open ones from china mart arent worth a tinkers damn alot of times.
Aaron

Mike Kerr
07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
I throw stuff on the bench until it gets cluttered then I figure out what to keep and what to toss.

regards,

:-D:-D